Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (aka Pan Chewies) - Your favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie in a bar form.
We all look for a dessert which relates to something that we already love but it is there to surprise us. Right? You know how we would flock to a new movie about a film star that we already love. Knowing that the plot would be different. But, just to see our favorite actor is worth spending a few bucks.
Here, you get the same. Your favorite chocolate chip cookie is now served to you in the form of a bar. I was inspired to make this recipe while casually scrolling through my Instagram feed and stumbling upon this post by Lil Luna.
I bet you would want to gobble up this dessert the minute you take it out of the oven. The sweet smell of chocolate will make you want to cut out a piece and have it just like that. But, try it with some ice cream on top. It will taste even better.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
The sweet smell of chocolate in your home, the sight of these chocolate chip cookie dough bar slowly getting baked in the oven, and that anxiousness within you where you are a little scared (wondering if it will turn out good) and the smell of chocolate has already made everyone in the family excited (something's good is cooking) is more than a festival for my family.
People in my family love chocolate. But, I am the one who loves it more than anyone else. Hence, when there is no one at home, I don't hesitate to bake this quick dessert for myself. After all, what could be a better definition of self-love for a baker than baking some chocolate chip cookies? right? And in this case, cookie bars or "Pan Chewies".
Whenever you want to bake chocolate chip cookies, just think of this sweet baby right here. It is so much better than that same old cookie and so much easier. When you serve them warm with some cold ice cream on the top, you get the taste of the real goodness of these babies.
How Do I Make these Cookie bars
All you need are some basic pantry ingredients and just a few basic steps to get this done. I am telling you that this is simply a child's play. One of the easiest desserts that I have ever baked in my entire life.
First, check your fridge have you got these ingredients?
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
Got 'em. Now chalk out just 5 minutes to make these cookie bars.
First, melt your butter in the microwave and cool it down completely.
Next, take a small bowl and add melted butter, brown sugar, and one egg. Mix everything together.
Once that is done, sift about one cup of flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl. Mix everything together. Add about 2 Tablespoon of milk and mix it in.
Sprinkle Chocolate Chips and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
Eat as it is or serve one scoop of ice cream on the top and enjoy.
My Golden tips to perfect this recipe
Though this is extremely easy, just keep in mind these few things before you start making these cookie bars.
- The batter should be not too lumpy and not too liquidy. It will be a little loser than cookie dough. But, not exactly like a cookie batter. It should kind of stick to your spatula while you are pouring it in the baking tin.
- Don't add too much chocolate chips in one place. Spread out the chocolate chips all over the cookie dough. This is because the weight of chocolate chips will not let the bars get cooked. And you will be left with a lumpy uncooked chocolate chip cookie dough. So, just spread it out a little. Make sure that it is evenly distributed.
- Do not use hot butter just melted in the microwave. You are gonna add eggs on it. We don't want scrambled eggs being cooked here. So, cool down the butter completely.
How should I Store these Cookie Bars?
You can store them on the countertop for 2 days and in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To store them on the counter just cover it up tightly with a foil and reheat it in the microwave for 2 minutes. They will be ready to eat. It should stay fine for up to 3 days.
If you want to store it for a longer period then first cool them down. Then keep them in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and it will stay fine in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you feel like having it just thaw overnight and reheat for a few minutes in the microwave. It will be as good as new.
Other Variations of this Recipe
- White Chocolate Chips - White Chocolate Chips would be the first thing that I would replace If I ever wanted to.
- M&M - The cute little M&M would make an excellent addition to these cookie bars. It would make it look festive and a lot cuter.
- Candy Corn - The cute little candy corn would be perfect for Halloween. It would also make them ready for fall.
- Peppermint Candy Bites - If you are making these for Christmas then I would suggest you use peppermint candy bites.
How to make this Healthy?
I get it. You are thinking who on Earth would want to eat a skinny Chocolate Chip Cookie bar. But, wait. Trust me, its worth it. Its 20% less in calories and 40% less in saturated fat.
- Instead of adding all butter, add half canola oil. Canola oil is a flavorless oil that is extremely healthy and therefore you can easily add this.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Whole Egg Room Temperature
- ½ Cup Butter softened to room temp
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour sifted
- ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅛ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Milk cold (can use Almond Milk)
- 1½ Cup Chocolate Chips dark, unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C. And, Line a 9x9 inch baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl add butter, light brown sugar and egg. Beat it well until creamy and fluffy, and keep aside.
- Sift Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Kosher Salt and Chocolate Chips. Mix everything using a wooden spatula. Pour milk and mix well until combined.
- Pour the batter in your lined baking tray. Top with more chocolate chips. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve with a scoop of ice cream.