Spicy and flavorful Cajun Shrimp and Rice is a one-pot dinner recipe. Shrimp and Rice are cooked together with butter and cajun seasoning and served immediately with Parsley and Lemon Juice on top.
This Cajun Shrimp and Rice gets easily cooked in the slow cooker or in the Instant Pot or in the skillet. Also, try my One Pot Chicken and Rice Bake
This super easy and fun dinner recipe is a One-Pot Meat perfect for the family. A super delicious and easy seafood dinner recipe. Have you tried my Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp or Crispy Honey Sesame Shrimp or Tomato Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta or Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese or Shrimp Fried Rice
🤤 Let's Talk Taste
This Cajun Shrimp and Rice tastes outstanding. Its spicy because of Cajun Seasoning, Jalapenos and Hot Sauce while being extremely flavorful and delicious because of the Shrimps. Also, it's not too spicy. The Lemon Juice and Tomato Sauce balances out the flavors and mellows down the spice level of this Cajun Shrimp and Rice.
🍲 Easy One-Pot Meal
What I love the most about this Cajun Shrimp and Rice is that its an easy One-Pot Meal.
Weather you're cooking this in the Slow Cooker or in the Instant Pot or in the Skillet, this gets ready almost instantaneously and such and easy and wholesome family dinner recipe.
What is Cajun Seasoning made of?
Cajun Seasoning is one of the most loved and used Seasonings today. Its not spicy, its just very well seasoned. It makes any dish taste amazing.
You can easily find Cajun Seasoning in the stores today. However, To make your Cajun Seasoning combine equal quantity of the following spices in a dish and store in an air-tight jar.
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
You can store homemade Cajun Seasoning in an air-tight container for 1 year. Its got an excellent shelf life and is such an useful spice which can be used in so many recipes.
Have you tried my Salmon Pasta in Creamy Cajun Sauce or Cajun Chicken (BAKED) or Extra Crispy Cajun Dry Rub Chicken Wings in Air Fryer or Creamy Cajun Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo or Crispy Cajun Air-Fryer Sweet Potato Fries (Zero Oil) or Easiest Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Olive Oil
- Long Grain White Rice
- Cajun Seasoning
- Tomato Sauce
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Hot Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Lemon Juice
🔪 How to make Cajun Shrimp and Rice in the Instant Pot
- Put the Instant Pot to Saute Mode
- Add Butter and Olive Oil to the pot. Once the butter starts to melt add the Garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Next, throw in the Rice and the Shrimp. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now, add the Cajun Seasoning, Tomato Paste, Hot Sauce, and Chopped Jalapenos. Stir to combine everything.
- Pour the Chicken Broth over it and cover with the lid
- Pressure cook on high for 3 minutes
- Quick-release the Pressure
- Garnish with chopped Parsley and Lemon Juice and Serve!
🍳 In the Skillet
- Melt Butter and Olive Oil in a skillet
- Add the garlic and saute until it gets fragrant
- Next, throw in the uncooked rice. Saute for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Next, add the Cajun Seasoning, Hot Sauce, Tomato Paste, and Chopped Jalapenos. Toss to combine and cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the Chicken Broth over it and cover with a lid. Cover cook on low for 5-6 minutes
- Meanwhile, toss uncooked Shrimp with melted butter and Cajun Seasoning. Heat Olive Oil in a pan and cook the shrimp until they turn pink for just 2-3 minutes.
- Once the Shrimps gets cooked, remove the lid over the rice and throw in the fried Shrimps.
- Cover with the lid and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes
- Garnish with chopped Parsley, Lemon juice, and serve immediately.
👩🏻🍳 In the Slow Cooker
- To cook in the slow cooker follow steps 1-4 of cooking in the Skillet. Also, cook the Shrimps separately with butter and cajun seasoning.
- Once all of these get partially cooked, transfer to a greased Slow Cooker.
- Pour Chicken Broth over it
- Cover and cook over high heat for 30-45 minutes.
Remember: 1 cup of rice takes around 30 minutes to cook in the Slow Cooker. If you're increasing the quantity of rice then your cooking time will vary.
For Crispier Shrimps, Brown them separately with butter and cajun seasoning and keep them aside. Toss them into the rice right after it gets cooked, then garnish and serve.
- Cajun Seasoning - Cajun Seasoning is really the heart of this recipe. You cannot substitute it. However, you can make your very own Cajun Seasoning and use it for this recipe.
- Brown Rice - You can replace Long Grain White Rice with Brown Rice. The Cooking time will vary depending on the quantity and quality of rice.
- Less Spicy - To make this a little Less Spicy replace Jalapenos with Bell Peppers. Also, you can skip the hot sauce.
🥗 Serving Sides
This Cajun Shrimp and Rice makes such a wholesome meal in itself that you really need nothing by its side. However, you can still serve these salads with it.
- Healthy Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime Dressing - Summer Tex Mex Salad
- Refreshing Pomegranate Orange Salad
- Deli-style Creamy Classic Macaroni Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Red Onion Salad with Dill and Sourcream
- Onion Cucumber Tomato Corn Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing - Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Salad
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Cajun Shrimp and Rice (Instant Pot / Slow Cooker)
- Instant Pot
- 1 stick Butter
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4-4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Long Grain White Rice uncooked
- 1 lbs Shrimp peeled & deveined
- 3 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 whole Jalapeno Peppers chopped (sub with bell pepper for milder option)
- 1½ tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 2 cup Chicken Broth low sodium
- Chopped Parsley for Garnish
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice for garnish
- Put the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Add Butter and Olive Oil. As the Butter melts, add minced Garlic. Allow them to sizzle for 30-seconds. Add a cup of long grain White Rice and the Shrimps. Saute for 4-5 mintues to cook the rice and shrimp.
- Add Cajun Seasoning, Tomato Sauce, Hot Sauce and Chopped Jalapenos. Stir well until combined.
- Pour Chicken Broth (double the quantity of rice). Stir to combine. Cover with the lid and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. Quick release the Pressure.
- Garnish with lemon juice and chopped Parsley and serve immediately.
How to cook Cajun Shrimp and Rice in Slow Cooker
- Heat Butter and Olive Oil in a Saute Pan.
- As the oil shimmers, add the garlic and saute until fragrant
- Add the rice and shrimp. Cook for 3-4 minutes over low heat stirring occasionally
- Add the Cajun Seasoning, Tomato Sauce, Jalapenos, and Hot Sauce. Toss to combine
- Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes
- Transfer to a greased Slow Cooker. Pour Chicken Broth over it and stir to combine. Cover with lid and slow cook on high for 1 hour.
- Once cooked, garnish with Lemon Juice, Chopped Cilantro, and Serve immediately.
This recipe was so comforting. I didn't had to make any changes. My boyfriend loved it.
Darlene Matheson says
Did you use tomato sauce or past in your recipe when you tried it? Ingredients say sauce and instructions say paste. Thanks and happy cooking!
its tomato sauce! sorry I have updated it in the recipe now!
Darlene Matheson says
Hello and am in the process of trying this recipe. Just wondering though that the ingredients say tomato sauce and instructions say tomato paste....wondering which it is. Thanks.
Carrie Feinstein says
You don't really include the recipe for using the instant pot. Once you saute the shrimp and rice etc, how long do you set the instant pot for? Its clearly NOT 1 hour like using the slow cooker. Can you please clarify??
I think you did not read the recipe card and the article. Both the instructions for Instant Pot and Slow Cooker have been specifically explained. The recipe instructions for cooking in the Instant Pot has been mentioned first and the slow cooker instructions are written below. Please read the article before heading out to put a complaint!