Blueberry Crumb Cake is a crusty and sweet breakfast coffee cake recipe. It's a really easy and fun Summer recipe. These Blueberry Crumb Cakes are crusty and cinnamon-y from the top and are soft and moist on the inside.
There is the zesty and refreshing taste of Blueberries which is so summer-y and fruity! The deep and intense Blueberry aroma and flavors in my cake are due to a secret ingredient of mine which I'll talk about later in the article. Trust me, your Blueberry Coffee Cake is the best Summer dessert which you'll love to bake for Summer house parties, pool parties, or Sunday brunches.
Blueberry Crumb Cake
It's the beautiful spring season here and I cannot wait for June 21st when Summer will start officially. I just love the Summer season. It's such a happy time of the year!
Have a Look at the Video and see how I made this Blueberry Crumb Cake
I remember the time when we lived in Phoenix, we used to have this Blueberry Patch in my backyard. And all Summer, me and my friend, Addie used to try Blueberry recipes almost every day. From Lemon Blueberry Muffins to Lemon Blueberry Scones to Classic Southern Blueberry Muffins, it's always fun to bake with Blueberries! Ask from a Southerner and they'll tell you that the secret to the best Summer dessert is more and more of Blueberries!
So, yesterday, when I woke up, I was instantly reminded of these happy and sunny times in Phoenix by seeing the weather outside. You know how it happens sometimes when the Sunshine or the weather reminds you of a past moment and you so want to go back there!
That's when I remembered how we used to bake these Blueberry Crumb Cakes for Sunday Brunches and our Summer house Parties. These used to be a huge hit back then. My husband's friends used to love these rave about the flavors! Although the kids in my house aren't Blueberry Fans so I don't make these often now.
But yesterday, years later, I thought of making these and guess what, my son did not complain! I have learned this recipe from my friend Addie and adapted it with my own special touches to this.
It tastes really good. And I mean that seriously! A very deep and rich flavor of Blueberry which is actually due to my secret ingredient which you'll know about later! 🙂
How to make Blueberry Crumb Cake
So, to make this Blueberry Crumb Cake I first combine Butter and Sugar until they turn creamy. Then I add the eggs one at a time and my secret ingredient - The Blueberry Jam. I combine everything until light and creamy.
To this I add my Flour along with the Baking Twins - Baking Soda and Baking Powder (both 1/2 tsp), along with the thawed frozen blueberries.
I mix everything and add some milk to make this into a creamy and smooth Blueberry Cake batter and pour this in a square cake pan.
Now, I make my streusel. For this, I simply mix my Flour with Sugar, Butter, and Cinnamon. I combine everything with my hands to make the crumbly streusel. Finally, I just sprinkle this over my Cake batter and bake my cake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
After my cake cooled down, I cut it into cubes and top with some Vanilla Ice cream before I served it!
Let's talk about the taste
I know, you're curious how these Blueberry Coffee Cake taste! Well, trust me! These Blueberry Cakes are super moist and soft on the inside with the awesome flavor of Blueberries. Also, the crumb has a cinnamon taste to it. It's just so crusty and tasty. When you top it with some Chilled ice cream, it's truly heavenly! I love the flavor of Blueberry Jam in my Cake. It gives it that sweet and deep rich flavors of Blueberries.
Blueberry Crumb Cake
- ½ Cup Butter Softened
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 room temperature Eggs
- 3 tablespoon Blueberry Jam
- 1 Cup AP Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Frozen Blueberries Thawed
- ½ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup AP Flour
- 2 tablespoon Cold Butter cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C and line a square baking tray with Parchment paper.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar together until light and creamy. Add the Eggs and the Blueberry Jam and mix everything into a smooth mixture.
- Add the AP Flour along with Baking Soda and Baking Powder into your Batter. Also, add in the thawed Blueberries with some Milk and mix everything well using a wooden or silicone spatula. Pour the batter in your lined square baking pan.
- Combine the butter, Sugar, Flour, and Cinnamon using your hands or in a food processor until you get pea-sized crumbs. Sprinkle it over the cake batter.
- Bake your Cake for 45 minutes at 350°F or 180°C. Once it's baked cool it down completely before you cut it into squares. Top it with Ice cream and serve with your favorite beverage.
- You can use granulated sugar or brown sugar
- Adding Blueberry Jam is totally optional. You can microwave the jam for 2 minutes at high power to thin it out and then use it.
- You can obviously use Fresh Blueberries as well.
- If you're making Eggless Blueberry Crumb Cake, then use 1 tablespoon Yogurt and 1 teaspoon White Vinegar in its place.