Lemon Blueberry Scones are Crusty, Buttery, Lemony, and Fruity Scones recipe which is just perfect for summers. Enjoy it with your evening cup of Coffee. It's just so crunchy and flaky! Also, try Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze
Lemon Blueberry Scones Recipe
There is a beautiful buttery crust to these scones. The Blueberry Bites tastes just awesome.
Also, the lemony fragrance and the Lemony taste from the Lemon icing go perfectly with the sweetness of the scones balancing it out.
These scones feel like they are from a Cafe! Trust me, these are serious, roll your eyes good.
Here's a VIDEO TUTORIAL for Lemon Blueberry Scones
Lemon Blueberry Scones
Lemon Blueberry Scones is one of my favorite Summer desserts recipes which I generally make during Mother's Day or just for Summer Evenings to enjoy with my cup of Coffee. It's just so easy to make and every time I make it I feel like I am back in the South.
When I used to live in the South, we had these blueberry bushes around our home and we used to collect these heaping buckets full of blueberries and I used to make these big fat Lemon Blueberry Scones.
It was my staple neighbor plate dessert especially during the summer months and summer parties.
More Blueberry recipes
My husband especially is a huge fan of these homemade Lemon Blueberry Scones.
He says he loves the fact that how perfect they come out every time and there is that perfect balance of sweetness and sourness to these scones.
How to make The Best Lemon Blueberry Scones
Making the best Lemon Blueberry Scones is actually really easy. There are not a lot of complicated steps.
- First, you start by preparing your dry ingredients. For this, you mix your flour with the required amount of baking soda, sugar, and lemon zest. At this point, your flour will be so fragrant! Just smell it once, you'll love it! 🙂
- Now grate some cold butter into this dry mixture and mix it with your hands to make a breadcrumb-like mixture. Do not over-mix. Just enough so that you get Pea-sized crumbs.
- Next, prepare your wet ingredients by mixing the Egg with Heavy Cream and the Vanilla Extract. Mix this so that there are no lumps left.
- Finally, drizzle the wet mixture over your flour mixture. Also, add in the blueberries at this point. If you have frozen blueberries, do not thaw them. Throw it in the mixture and combine it with your hands to make a soft dough.
- Dust your board with flour and pour the flour mixture onto it. Try to bring everything together into a ball and press to make a disc with about 2-inch thickness. Use a pastry cutter or a very sharp knife to cut out the wedges of the scones. You can use a cookie cutter as well. I give my Scones a triangular shape so, I like to cut out wedges. Pick it up and place them on a lined baking tray.
- Now, brush the scones with some Heavy cream and sprinkle coarse sugar over them. It is very important to brush the scones with cream so that you have a golden-brown crust over your scones. Sprinkling the scones with coarse sugar will make sure that there is a crunchy bite to these scones.
- Pop your scones in the freezer and keep them there for at least 30 minutes. This will make sure that your Scones get proper shape and the colder they are the better your scones will come out.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 200°C or 400°F and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once it's baked, get it out and drizzle lemon icing on your scones while they are still warm.
So, that's how you make the best Lemon Blueberry scones. Isn't it just so easy?
Expert Tips on baking the Perfect Lemon Blueberry Scones
- It is very important to use frozen butter. Use a box grater to grate your butter.
- Mix the butter only with your hands or using two forks. Do not use a stand mixer or handheld mixer for this.
- If your Scone dough is too sticky add some flour. Work the scone dough with flour hands.
- If your Scone dough is too dry, you can add some heavy cream or milk.
- The lemon icing should be made by whisking Lemon Juice and Granulated Sugar.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes with Almond Flour
- Lemon Blueberry Bars
- Blueberry Dump Cake
- Blueberry Donuts in Air Fryer
- Best Homemade Blueberry Pie
If you are making this recipe then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 2 Cup AP Flour more for dusting on the work surface
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Cold Butter
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries do not thaw
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream more for glaze
- 2 tablespoon Coarse Sugar
- 1 Cup Icing Sugar
- 5 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoon Water
- In a large bowl combine the flour with lemon zest, baking powder, and sugar until it gets fragrant and all lemony. Grate butter and mix it with the flour mixture until you see Pea-sized crumbs. (I generally like working with my fingers, but I am careful not to overwork so as not to melt the butter completely with the heat of my hands). Keep this in the fridge until you prepare the wet ingredients.
- Mix Egg with Heavy Cream and Vanilla Extract until smooth.
- Drizzle this Wet mixture over the flour mixture and add the Blueberries. Combine everything together until you get a soft, moist but firm dough. Your dough should be sticky. In case it's too sticky, you can add some flour. If it's too dry, you can add some heavy cream or milk.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut out scones in any shape you like. I generally prefer cutting out Triangles. However, you can use your Cookie Cutter to cut out any shape you want.
- Brush the Scones with the remaining Cream mixture. And sprinkle some coarse sugar on them. Refrigerate the scones, after placing them on a lined baking sheet for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- Arrange the Scones with 2-inch gap on a silicone mat or a Baking sheet lined with Parchment Paper. Bake them for 20-25 minutes or until it gets light brown on the top and golden brown on the edges. Remove them from the oven and let them come down to room temperature.
Making the Lemon Icing
- Whisk Icing Sugar and Lemon Juice until smooth and creamy. Add water to thin out the icing if you want. Drizzle it over the warm scones
- You can store these scones at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days.