Golden Chickpea Curry is a mildly spicy yet comforting curry recipe. Made with super healthy Chickpeas and an assortment of spices, this Chickpea Curry will take your tastebuds for an adventurous joyride, to the land of aromas and spices.
Golden Chickpea Curry
I love Chickpea Recipes. I have grown up having Chickpeas for special occasions or just as a comfort food recipe for dinner. I love it with some rice, topped with some onions and butter. It's just so comforting and harmless, that you can never get enough of it. I love this amazing Golden Chickpea Curry recipe. The golden curry is made with Indian spices and that gives it that aromatic flavor of Spices and that gorgeous golden color.
Is Chickpea Healthy?
Chickpea is actually very healthy. It's a high source of protein so it is a perfect recipe for people on a Keto diet or high protein diet. Also if you are a vegan, this will give you all the essential proteins you need in your daily lifestyle. Chickpeas also have a high amount of fiber in them. So, if you are on a weight loss program or on a diet and need to cut out on carbs, Chickpeas are a great alternative. These are filled with Proteins and fibers and shall make you feel full all day helping you cut out on junk.
Can I roast the Chickpeas and use it?
Of course, you can! Roasted Chickpeas in itself is a tasty snack. However, for this Golden Chickpea Curry, you can roast your Chickpeas and then use them for your recipe. It'll give your Chickpea Curry a nice crunch and texture. You can saute them in your Instant Pot and then start adding the other ingredients as per the steps.
How to make Golden Chickpea Curry in an Instant pot?
- To make the Golden Chickpea Curry in an Instant pot, first, you have to partially cook the Chickpeas. For this, there are a number of methods. You can soak the chickpeas overnight in water or for 3-4 hours in hot water or the easiest and most effective way out would be to just boil them for 5 minutes and let them sit in that hot boiling water for about 30 minutes.
- Next, place the Onion, Ginger, and Garlic Paste in your instant pot and press saute. After some time add the chopped Tomatoes and cook until they get mushy. Now to this add the Tumeric, Cayenne, Garam Masala and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and saute for another few minutes, until oil starts to ooze out from the sides.
- Now to this add the Chickpeas along with the broth. Saute everything well and Pressure cook at high pressure. If you have an old version of Instant pot, just press the manual button and it'll automatically start pressure cooking at high pressure.
- After it's done, get it out and top it with Onions sliced into rings, Lime Juice, chopped green chilies, and chopped cilantro.
- Serve it hot with hot white rice or naan bread
How to make Golden Chickpea Curry in the Skillet?
- To make Golden Chickpea Curry, soak the Chickpeas in water overnight or at least for 3-4 hours.
- Next, make a paste of some Onions, Ginger, and Garlic. Heat some oil in a skillet and pour this prepared paste. Once the raw smell of Onion and Garlic is gone, add a cup of chopped tomatoes.
- Once the Tomatoes get mushy, it means that it has been cooked. Now add your spices (Turmeric, Cayenne, Garam Masala, Salt and Pepper) and stir well. Once they get stirred properly, it's time to cook it until oil starts to ooze out from the sides.
- Once the oil starts oozing out from the sides, add some water and mix it properly.
- Now to this add the boiled Chickpea along with the broth. Mix everything well and cover cook it on low flame until you get a boil.
- Once, it starts to boil your Golden Chickpea Curry is ready to serve.
- Serve it with some Onion rings (not fried), chopped green chilis, Ginger Jullianes, Lime Juice, and some Cilantro.
- Top it with some minced onions.
- Serve with hot white rice with a dollop of Butter or Butter Naan bread.
What gives it the Golden Color?
The turmeric in this recipe gives the Chickpea Curry the gorgeous golden color.
Is turmeric healthy?
Of course! Turmeric is one of the most commonly used anti-inflammatory rhizomes which has been used since ancient times. It is really a superfood filled with anti-inflammatory properties. It cures all diseases of the digestive system and helps the liver. Using Turmeric in curries gives it a gorgeous golden yellow color and also tastes awesome.
What is Indian Chickpea Curry?
Indian Chickpea Curry or "Punjabi Chole" is a popular Indian recipe. It's a spicy and zesty Chickpea curry recipe made with an assortment of fresh Indian spices. This recipe originated in the Northern Indian state of Punjab and since then has been a household favorite. The northern Indian recipes are primarily seed-based recipes. And Chickpeas is one of the most popularly made recipes. You can find it on the streets of big restaurants in India. Chole or Chickpea Curry has nostalgic memories associated with every Indian because it's something almost all Indians have grown up eating. What gives "Punjabi Chole" or Indian Chickpea Curry the "Black-ish" hue is the use of tea leaves. While the Chickpeas are put to boil or pressure cook, a bag of tea leaves is also put along with it. Also strong-flavored whole spices such as Cardamom, Cinnamon and Cloves are put to boil along with it. This makes the Chickpeas all fragrant and aromatic when they are boiled. Also, this gives the Indian Chickpea curry a gorgeous black-ish hue.
Can I add Coconut Milk to this Chickpea Curry Recipe?
Of course! Coconut Milk gives a wonderful nutty flavor to your curry. Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe is in itself is a perfect recipe and needs no special spices. It just tastes really comforting and relaxing.
So, this was how to make Golden Chickpea Curry at home. This is a really easy and comforting weeknight dinner recipe that gets ready in a snap and the whole family can enjoy it together. So, without delay note down the ingredients and steps of Golden Chickpea Curry recipe below.
Golden Chickpea Curry
- 1 cup Chickpea
- 2 Medium Sized Onion
- 6-7 Cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon Tumeric
- 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
- As per taste Salt
- 1 Pinch Freshly grounded black pepper
- 3 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- ¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- ½ Cup Butter
- First, soak the Chickpeas in water overnight or in boiling hot water for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Next, pour the butter in your Skillet or Instant Pot
- Add the chopped Onions, Garlic and Gingers into the hot oil and saute until the raw smell is gone
- To this add the Tumeric and saute well, until you get a fragrence of Turmeric.
- Now add the Cayenne and Garam Masala and stir well.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Once the tomatoes get cooked and starts to get mushy, add the salt and grounded black pepper to season it. Stir until all well combined.
- Keep stirring for another 3-4 minutes or until oil starts to ooze out from the sides of the mixture. Add some ¼ cup water and stir well.
- Once it gets well cooked and is fragrent, add the Chickpeas along with the broth
- Cover the lid of the Instant pot and set it to high pressure. If cooking in a skillet then, cover the skillet with a plate and allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes, while stirring in between so that the bottom part doesn't get burnt. If you feel it's starting to stick to the skillet, just add a bit of water and stir well and then cover cook it again.
- Finally, serve it hot. Garnish with Ginger Juillines, Onions cut into rings, Chopped Cilantro and some freshly squeezed lemon juice.