Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas with homemade Mexican Cheese Sauce is like an explosion of flavors in your mouth. Chickpea is cooked in a pan with Butter and Garlic. It is tossed with Onion, Hot Sauce, Spices, and Brown Sugar. Next, a creamy Mexican Cheese sauce is prepared with White American Cheese, Milk, Butter, and a few Spices. And, finally, it is wrapped in a Flour Tortilla and baked until crispy. Doesn't that sound like an easy weeknight dinner recipe for the family?
Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas
The nuttiness of Chickpeas, the slight heat of the Hot Sauce, the Sweetness of Brown Sugar and Onions, the cheesiness of Pepper Jack and White American Cheese, and the crunch of Warm Tortillas all served in one single plate. Is this even for real? Well, yeah! It is... 🙂
The flavors are so good that you would want to choose one corner of the room and eat away the entire thing with no one watching you going at it.
Vegetarian Chickpea Recipe which is So Easy!
Many times we look for easy Chickpea recipes. Chickpea is one such ingredient that I turn towards when I am looking to make a quick healthy vegetarian dinner recipe. 'coz nothing is as healthy and easy as Chickpea for a vegetarian dinner.
Also, Chickpea can be used in so many recipes. Right from a quick Sheet Pan Dinner Recipe to a quick One-Pot Meal to Tacos to Enchiladas to Casseroles. Chickpea can be used in everything and even the pickiest eater in the house is going to love it!
How to make Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas
So, to make the Buffalo Chickpea filling I followed these quick steps-
- Start by melting butter and olive oil in a pan. As the oil shimmers, add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes over low heat.
- Next, add the canned Chickpeas, along with Hot Sauce, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Brown Sugar, Salt & Pepper. Toss to combine. Cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes.
How to make the Mexican Cheese Sauce
Mexican Cheese Sauce Recipe-
- In a pan, melt the butter along with White American Cheese. Add Sour Cream, Milk, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Salt & Pepper.
- Also, add Green Chiles.
- Cook for 3 minutes over low heat, until it begins to bubble and thicken out.
- Once it thickens out, take it out and serve
- This Mexican Cheese Sauce can be used in Enchiladas, Chicken Recipes, Nachos, or Burritos.
Finally, to make the Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas just spread the Mexican Cheese Sauce over the Quesadillas. Add the Chickpea filling in the center. Fold it in half.
Now, you can either toast this on a cast iron skillet until it gets toasty on both sides or you can bake it in the oven.
To bake Quesadillas in the oven, preheat the oven to 425F or 230C. Brush oil over the Quesadillas and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the Quesadillas get toasty on the top.
Cut it in half and serve with any sauce you love or leftover Mexican Cheese Sauce.
How to make Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas ahead of time?
This recipe is so easy. You can make the Chickpea filling ahead of time. You can store the cooked Chickpea filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat in the oven before reuse.
You can make the Mexican Cheese Sauce and store it in the refrigerator. Before reuse, heat it through in the oven.
Place in tortillas, wrap and toast before you serve.
Other Recipes you will love
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas with Mexican Cheese Sauce
Mexican Cheese Sauce
- 1½ cup White American Cheese 0.2 lbs
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 4 oz Green Chilis canned
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat butter and olive oil in a pan. As the butter melts, add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook them over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add the hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, salt & pepper along with the canned chickpeas. Toss to combine. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat, mashing the Chickpeas as you cook through.
- To make cheese sauce, add all the ingredients in a pan. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Once the sauce thickens, take it out in a separate bowl.
- In a flour tortilla, spread the Cheese sauce. Spoon the Chickpea filling in the center. Fold it in half. Either toast it on the stovetop or bake it in the oven at 425F or 230C for 8 -10 minutes.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and leftover cheese sauce.