Oven Baked Chicken Thighs with Apricot Jam is a Tangy, Juicy, Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Thigh Recipe that you can make under an hour and serve to the crowd.
I particularly enjoy making this Apricot Rosemary Chicken Thighs for these specific reasons:
- Its ridiculously easy.
- I love the way cayenne pepper and smoked paprika creates a texture on the chicken thighs.
- Finally when the BBQ Apricot Glaze hits the oven it caramelizes and creates an awesome texture on the chicken thighs.
You cannot miss my most popular recipe on the blog - Sheet Pan Harvest Baked Apple Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
Besides these I love this recipe for BBQ Chicken Thighs with Apricot Glaze because, it has the most decadent sauce that one can ever imagine.
There is every reason to fall in love with the sauce for chicken thighs with apricot preserves.
- You have Apple Cider vinegar for a fruity taste.
- Dijon Mustard adds a sharp edge
- While Apricot Preserve and Honey contributes to the sweetness of this dish.
- Lemon Juice brings a tarty freshness.
- While Hot sauce and Worcestershire Sauce makes sure that the dish doesn't fall flat.
Saucy, Sweet, Sticky and Smoky Sauce
The recipe for Baked Apricot Chicken Thighs can simply not be worth it, if you don't make this amazing bbq sauce.
The recipe for this sticky sweet barbecue glaze, is finger-lickin' good. ❤️
It has got this amazing fruity flavor that will wow your guests. The best part about this sticky apricot chicken thighs is the flavorful bone-in chicken thighs.
The caramelized chicken thighs with sweet, sticky, spicy, and smoky glaze adds a brilliant hint of structure to the dish.
You should also try Crockpot Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce
Ingredients to make Apricot Glazed BBQ Chicken Thighs
In this recipe we'll be cooking chicken in two parts. First we'll make a dry spice mix. Coat Chicken with the spice mix. And bake in the oven.
Secondly, we will make Apricot glaze. Baste Chicken with this glaze. And broil again.
- Bone-in Chicken Thighs
- Salt and Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Ground Cumin
- Cayenne Pepper
To Make Apricot Sauce for Chicken Thighs
- olive oil
- Yellow Onion
- salt and pepper
- Apricot Preserves
- Lemon Juice
- Dijon Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- hot sauce or Tabasco
- fresh chopped rosemary
How to Make Baked Chicken Thighs with Apricot Preserves
In this fast, delicious and healthy weeknight meal, chicken thighs are roasted in the oven with apricots, spicy mustard and hot sauce. This delicious chicken recipe is a cinch to make. Apricot jam adds the perfect pinch of sweetness to savory hot sauce.
- STEP 1: Make a Dry Spice Mix - In a bowl combine salt, pepper, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- STEP 2: Rub Chicken Thighs with Dry Spice Mix.
- STEP 3: Bake Chicken in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 35-45 minutes.
- STEP 4: Heat Olive oil in a skillet and sauté onions, ginger, and garlic.
- STEP 5: Stir in Apricot Preserve, Dijon Mustard, Hot Sauce, Lemon Juice, Cider Vinegar, Honey, and Worcestershire Sauce.
- STEP 6: Cook on low until it just begins to boil.
- STEP 7: Baste Chicken Thighs with the sauce.
- STEP 8: Turn your oven to broil. Broil until the sauce is caramelized on top.
- STEP 9: Serve right away with remaining Apricot Sauce.
Variations for Chicken Thigh recipe with Apricot Jam
This chicken thighs apricot preserve recipe can have so many variations. Let's talk about them here.
- Orange Juice - Citrusy Fresh Orange Juice might add a fruity tang and orang-y freshness to this baked chicken thigh recipe.
- Barbecue Sauce - You can use any flavorful Barbecue sauce available in stores. Or you could just make your own Barbecue sauce at home.
- Apricot Juice - Instead of using Apricot Jam you can also use Apricot Juice to make this recipe.
Can I make Apricot Chicken Thighs in Instant Pot?
It would definitely save you a ton of time and effort. But make sure to rub chicken with the dry mix and roast it in the instant pot before cooking it further with the sticky apricot sauce.
Can I make this in the Slow cooker?
Sure. I have already made Apricot Chicken Thighs in the Slow Cooker. You can easily refer to that recipe and make Crockpot Apricot Glazed bbq Chicken Thighs.
BBQ Apricot Chicken Thighs
- 3 pounds Bone in Chicken Thighs
To coat chicken on the outside
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
To Make Apricot Sauce for Chicken Thighs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic freshly minced
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- salt and pepper as per taste
- 2 Tablespoons Apricot Preserves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce or Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
Cook Chicken Thighs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil/cooking spray. Line it with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place bone-in chicken thighs in the sheet pan.
- In a small bowl combine salt, freshly ground black pepper, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle and coat the smoked paprika, salt and pepper mixture over the chicken thighs generously.
- Transfer the sheet pan to the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes.
Make BBQ Apricot Glaze
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add diced onions, minced garlic, and finely chopped ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the rawness goes away.
- Stir in Apricot Preserve, honey, Lemon Juice, Dijon Mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Hot sauce.
- Cook on low for 1-2 minute or just until the sauce starts to boil.
Glaze Chicken and Broil
- Remove Chicken Thighs from the oven.
- Brush the Apricot Barbecue Glaze on the Chicken Thighs.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Broil the Chicken Thighs until the sauce is caramelized on top.
- Check the internal temperature of chicken with an instant-read thermometer. Make sure its at 160 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and transfer to serving dish.
- Serve with fresh chopped rosemary.