Vegan Chocolate Chess Pie is a classic Southern Dessert that can be enjoyed all year long. It's such a simple and easy recipe that every time I make it I think, maybe next time, I will add this and try. Or maybe I will skip this and try.
This recipe has been passed down through the generations. And, the best part about trying such an age-old recipe is that you can customize it as per your wish. For instance, my nanna never made a vegan chocolate chess pie.
Have you tried my BEST Dark Chocolate Brownie Pie or Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie. These are so delicious and perfect for the holidays.
Traditionally the four basic ingredients for this pie are Cocoa Powder, sugar, butter, and eggs. But, I wanted to try something new. Therefore, I decided to make a vegan variant of this super-popular dessert.
Other Vegan desserts that you must love are Fudgy Chickpea Brownies (Gluten-Free | Vegan ) , Almond Flour Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars (Gluten-Free | Vegan), No-Bake Mini Blackberry Cheesecake (Vegan), Vegan Almond Flour Brownies with Macadamia Nuts (Vegan | Gluten Free), White Chocolate Matcha Ice Cream | Vegan Ice Cream Recipe (3 ingredients)!, Vegan Dates Matcha Cups
My Chocolate Chess Pie recipe used vegan butter, almond milk, and no eggs. I know what you're thinking. How will the pie hold up its shape if we are not gonna use eggs? Well, I have a special trick. No flax eggs. I just use some cornstarch. Cornstarch is a binder and helps the pie hold its shape.
You should check out my Vegan Sweet Potato Pie with Coconut Milk, the recipe was a hit on social media overnight.
🌱 Vegan Chocolate Chess Pie
I am sure you must have had a chocolate chess pie before. But, I don't think you must have tried a vegan chocolate chess pie before. If you are a flexitarian or a vegan or you are just like me who wants to take his/her tastebuds through varied experiences this recipe is the perfect choice for you.
I have always loved the idea of challenges while baking. I told myself that If I can make this vegan chess pie anywhere near to what my nanna used to make, I am gonna reward myself with a brand new Kitchen stand mixer.
After spending two nights in my kitchen testing this recipe my final judges were my husband and my sister who had come down from Oklahoma.
Well, my husband can be a bit charming at times and tell me it's good when it's actually not that good. But, my sister isn't. When she had it, she was like - "Is this vegan? I just cannot figure that out!" People were so happy with my recipe. They couldn't tell it was vegan.
I was so confident that finally I can post this on my blog and share it with my readers. Finally, here I am after making this recipe the 10th time, typing away my experiences of baking this vegan chocolate chess pie.
🥘 What do you need to make this Pie?
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsalted Vegan Butter
- pinch of salt
- Almond Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Pie Crust - Learn how to make Homemade Buttery Pie crust.
👩🍳 How to Make Vegan Chocolate Chess Pie?
- Make the Pie Crust- For a Buttery Pie crust (better than store-bought) read my Homemade Pie crust recipe.
- Make the Chocolate Chess Pie Filling - In a bowl mix together granulated sugar, cocoa powder, melted unsalted vegan butter, a pinch of salt, cornstarch, almond milk, and Pure Vanilla Extract.
- Roll the Pie Crust - Roll the pie crust. Wrap it on your rolling pin and unwrap it into your pie dish. Crimp the sides.
- Pour the Filling: Pour your vegan chocolate chess pie filling into your pie crust.
- Bake- Bake the pie for about 40-45 minutes until you see a crust forming on the top. It will still be jiggly in the center. So wait until the pie cools down completely and then cut into slices.
🗒️ Other Alternative to this recipe:
- You can use Coconut Milk Instead of Almond milk
- You can also use Almond Butter for this recipe.
- You can also make Vegan Whipped cream with 1/2 Cup Aquafaba (liquid from 1 can of chickpeas), 1/8 Teaspoon of Cream of Tartar, 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar, and 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract.
🔥 Other Popular Southern Recipes:
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- Southern Fried Corn
- Southern Fried Apples with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Southern Thanksgiving Recipes || Soul Food Recipes
If you are making this recipe, then please provide a rating below. Also, tag me on Instagram @recipemagik with #recipemagik and share your pie photo.
Vegan Chocolate Chess Pie
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 25g or 0.4Oz
- 1½ cup Granulated Sugar 300g
- 3 tablespoon Cornstarch 24.36g
- ⅔ cup Almond Milk 160ml
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted Vegan Butter melted (about 1/2 stick)
- 1 9-inch Uncooked Pie Crust store-bought or homemade* (see notes below)
- Vegan Whipped Cream if desired* (see notes below)
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C. In a large bowl, whisk together Granulated Sugar, Cocoa Powder, and Cornstarch until they combine.
- Now add the Melted Butter, Almond Milk, Pure Vanilla Extract, and Salt. Mix everything well using a rubber or wooden spatula. Stir well until combined.
- Pour this Pie filling into the prepared unbaked Pie crust and bake for 45 min or until you see a crust forming across the top of the pie. The center will be a little jiggly when you shake it.
- Cool it down completely for 1-2 hours before you slice it and serve. You can serve with Vegan Whipped Cream if you want. Or just dust some Cocoa Powder on top and serve!
- If the Pie is too runny even after it has cooled down, pop it in the freezer for a few hours and it'll come out perfect.
- To make a Non-Vegan Version, replace Vegan butter with normal unsalted butter and Almond Milk with whole milk or evaporated milk. The ratio will be the same. Also, top with Cool whip.
Gina Smith says
Yummy Pie!! So delicious and such an wonderful explanation
Thank you! This Pie is really delicious
Would I be able to use oat milk for this recipe? Almond milk doesn’t agree with my stomach.
Of course, you can! It's healthy and a perfect alternative for Almond milk in this recipe 🙂 Hope you like it.
Bithiah Moore says
Do you think it could just be a normal chess pie if you take away the cocoa powder
Yes of course. In fact, the basic recipe of classic Chess pie is made with eggs, sugar, butter, and flour or sometimes Cornmeal. The flavorings of Cocoa Powder or Lemon are commonly added to make Chocolate Chess Pie or Lemon Chess Pie.
Mine has been baking for an hour and is still as runny as soup! Help!
You can get the pie out of the oven and stir in some Cornstarch, maybe a tablespoon or two. Mix it completely and then bake for 30 more minutes. Also, after the pie gets baked, allow it to chill for an hour so that it gets enough time to set. Chilling the pie will make sure that it sets perfectly.