An easy and comforting Chicken Dinner Recipe for the family. Chicken Divan with Rice, Broccoli, Curry Powder and Cheddar Cheese is the definition of ultimate one pot comfort food recipe for the family, perfect for weekends.
- What does Divan mean in Chicken Divan?
- Where is Chicken Divan From?
- Is Chicken Divan Healthy?
- What is Chicken Divan?
- Why I love Chicken Divan so much?
- How to make Chicken Divan
- Can I make Chicken Divan in the slow cooker?
- Storage Guide
- Top tips to make the Best Chicken Divan
- More Chicken Casserole Recipes
- The Best Chicken Divan Recipe (lighter version)
What does Divan mean in Chicken Divan?
Divan is a french word for a great meeting place or hall. This recipe is kind of a meeting place of everything, from a hearty Chicken Dish to a Casserole to Chicken and Rice to Veggies and of course, loads of Cheese!
Where is Chicken Divan From?
Chicken Divan actually originated in New York Chateau Hotel at Divan Parisienne Restaurant, where its made using Mornay Sauce.
Mornay Sauce is a traditional 1950s sauce which was like a roux made using butter, flour, milk and cheese. However, these days we make it with Mayonnaise, Canned Condensed Cream of Soup and Sour Cream.
Is Chicken Divan Healthy?
Chicken Divan is essentially a casserole with Chicken, Rice, Broccoli and Cheese. Chicken Divan is not too healthy nor is it too unhealthy. When enjoyed in proportion it makes for a healthy and wholesome meal, even when on a Low Carb Diet.
What is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan is essentially an American Casserole recipe made using Broccoli, Chicken/Turkey, Rice, Mornay Sauce and Cheese. However like every other recipes, it has evolved over time and we have quit using Mornay sauce at homes and replaced it with Mayonnaise and Canned Cream of Soups.
Why I love Chicken Divan so much?
It might sound like a pretty fancy dish, but in actuality, this is indeed an simple, old fashioned recipe which is so easy to make.
We love to make Chicken Divan for the holidays or Summers or just for a cosy weekend dinner.
Its the perfect way to use up leftover Chicken or Turkey from the holidays or leftover chicken from the weekend.
Whenever I make Whole Roasted Chicken the leftovers are always saved up to make this incredible tasting casserole! Soo Good!
Chicken Divan is now days made using Curry Powder. Curry Powder, mildly flavors this casserole making it not too spicy and not too bland either.
- Fresh Broccoli - Cut into florets
- Chicken Breasts - I use precooked Chicken Breasts. You can use Shredded Rotisserie Chicken Breasts as well. These are so easy to use and saves so much time.
- Rice - I use leftover cooked rice for this recipe.
- Olive Oil- to cook the Chicken
- Salt and Pepper - to season the Chicken
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup & Mayonnaise - this is the best replacement for Mornay sauce.
- Onion Powder, Garlic powder, Dry Mustard Powder - to season the sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce - for flavors.
- Ritz Cracker Crumbs + Melted Butter + Garlic Powder - for crunchy topping.
See recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
How to make Chicken Divan
STEP 1: STEAM BROCCOLI
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Chop Broccoli into florets.
- Place them in a bowl filled with water.
- Microwave uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
STEP 2: MAKE CREAMY SAUCE
- In a medium sized mixing bowl or a mixing jar combine, Mayonnaise, Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, Onion Powder, Garlic powder, Dry Mustard Powder & Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix until combined.
STEP 3: COOK CHICKEN (skip if using cooked chicken)
- Heat Olive Oil in a skillet.
- As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
STEP 4: LAYER AND BAKE
- Layer the casserole. Start with a layer of cooked rice, followed by Chicken and Broccoli.
- Top it off with the custard and shredded Cheese (I use a blend of Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese)...
- Combine Ritz Cracker Crumbs with melted butter and garlic powder. Spoon this mixture over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly on top.
Hint: Instead of Ritz Cracker Crumbs, you can use Panko Breadcrumbs as well to top over the Casserole.
Can I make Chicken Divan in the slow cooker?
Yes of course! This easy Casserole gets perfectly made in the slow cooker. Its a simple dump and forget dinner recipe.
Also, you will love the crunchy & buttery topping!!!
Store leftover Chicken Divan in an airtight container, int he refrigerator. You can store this for up to a week.
You can freeze leftover Chicken Divan in an airtight container or freezer friendly bag, double wrapped with foil.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Top tips to make the Best Chicken Divan
- Stream and Drain the Broccoli before use.
- Use leftover cooked rice for ease, to save time.
- Use cooked Chicken or Rotisserie Chicken to save time.
- Don't forget the crunchy topping of Ritz Cracker Crumbs or Panko Breadcrumbs.
- Use a combination of Mozzarella Cheese and Cheddar Cheese for topping.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
- French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole (so cheesy!)
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Keto Cauliflower Rice and Chicken Casserole
- Nacho Cheese Dorito Chicken Casserole
- The Best Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Keto Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Grandma's Broccoli Casserole with Cream Cheese
- Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake
The Best Chicken Divan Recipe (lighter version)
- 1 lbs Broccoli steamed and cut into florets
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 10 oz Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly cracked Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 1 cup Ritz Cracker Crumbs
- ½ stick Unsalted Butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Steam Broccoli: Preheat the oven to 400F. Cut the Broccoli into florets. Place in a large bowl filled with water. Microwave uncovered for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook Chicken: Skip if using cooked Chicken. Heat Olive Oil in a skillet. As the oil shimmers, add the Chicken. Toss with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Make the creamy sauce: In a mixing bowl or mixing jar combine Mayonnaise. Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dry Mustard, Salt, Pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk until combined. Keep aside.
- Layer the casserole: Start with a layer of cooked Rice followed by Chicken and Broccoli. Top it off with the creamy sauce and shredded Cheese (a combination of Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese).
- Make crunchy topping & Bake: In a mixing bowl combine Ritz Cracker Crumbs with melted butter and garlic powder. Mix until combined. Top over the casserole. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly on top.
- Serve hot with rice or mashed potatoes.