Tofu Soba Noodles is a quick and easy Vegan Noodles dinner recipe. Gets ready in just 20 min and makes for a perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Japanese Soba Noodles cooks easy, in just 5 min. Also they are naturally gluten free as they are made using buckwheat flour and are super healthy!
You can serve these Japanese Soba Noodles hot or cold, top with some sesame seeds and its a simple and easy dinner on the table in less than 20 min.
Besides Soba Noodles you can use any noodles you have at home to make these Tofu Noodle Bowls happen. From Udon to Rice Noodles to Egg Noodles or even Ramen. Makes for a perfect Asian dinner on a weeknight.
More easy noodles recipes
- Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
- Miso Sesame Udon Noodles Stir Fry
- Schezwan Noodles
- Instant Pot Sesame Noodles
- Black Pepper Noodles
- Easy Lo Mein Noodles
- Spicy Ramen Noodles
- (10-min) Chili Garlic Udon Stir Fry
- Shrimp Udon Stir Fry
What are Soba Noodles?
If you donot know what are Soba noodles, then let this be your intervention!
- Soba Noodles are Japanese noodles made using buckwheat flour
- They are higher in proteins and dietary fibre as compared to other noodles
- Soba Noodles are low carb noodles. Read more here.
Why this recipe works?
- Healthy low carb Asian dinner recipe
- Perfect dinner for busy weeknights
- gets ready in under 20 min
- Gluten Free Noodles
- serve cold Soba Noodles
Ingredients needed to make these noodle bowls happen
- Soba Noodles - cooked as per package directions and drained
- Firm Tofu - its easy to use and tastes so good.
- Soy Sauce - helps build flavors in this soba noodle bowl
- Honey - adds sweetness to the soba noodles
- Sriracha - adds spicy taste to the noodles
- Sesame Oil - adds a nutty taste
- Rice Wine Vinegar - adds a nice tartness to the sauce
- Ginger & Garlic - finely chopped
- Veggies - Broccoli, Bell Pepper & Mushrooms
- Sesame Seeds - toasted sesame seeds for garnish
See recipe card for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
How to cook Soba Noodles
Soba Noodles can be cooked just like any other noodles or just the way you cook pasta.
Toss it with your favorite sauce and some stir fried veggies and its DONE!
Add packaged dried Soba Noodles to a pot of boiling water.
Add a pinch of salt and cook according to package directions.
Once cooked, drain the water and set aside. (do not rinse)
Combine Soy Sauce, Sriracha, Sesame Oil, Rice Wine Vinegar, Honey, chopped ginger and garlic in a mixing jar and whisk until combined.
Heat Avocado Oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom skillet.
As the oil shimmers, add the Tofu cubes in a single layer.
Flip and pan fry the Tofu until browned for 2-3 min.
Add chopped veggies (mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli etc) to the skillet and cook for 2-3 min.
Add the cooked Soba Noodles and the Sauce to the skillet and toss to combine.
Divide the noodles into serving bowls. Top with sesame seeds and serve.
Drain the Tofu before use. Wrap the block of Tofu with two paper towels and set it on a dinner plate. Weigh it down using a heavy skillet. Let the tofu sit for about 15 min like that. Next, remove the Tofu and cut into cubes.
How to make extra crispy Tofu?
Add the Tofu cubes in a ziplock bag.
Add a tablespoon of cornstarch, & soy sauce to it. Seal and toss the bag to coat the Tofu cubes with the sauce and cornstarch. (you can replace Cornstarch with arrowroot powder as well)
Air Fry the Tofu for 5 min @350F/ 180C or Pan fry in a cast iron skillet for 2-3 min or bake for 5-10 min or until browned.
More easy Tofu recipes
- Chipotle Baked Tofu Burrito Bowl
- Tofu Stir Fry in Garlic Sauce
- Kung Pao Tofu
- Quinoa Burrito Bowl with Tofu
- Crispy Tofu Fajita Tacos
- Vegan Crispy Tofu
- Tofu Tikka Masala
- Orange Tofu (in Air Fryer)
- Vegan Tofu Teriyaki Stir-Fry
Other tasty add ons
Carrot ribbons - Peel carrots and use a vegetable peeler to shave them into ribbons. Toss with the other veggies in this Tofu Soba Noodles Bowl.
Scallions - roughly chopped Scallions add a nice crunch to this Soba Noodle Bowl
Toasted Peanuts - roughly chopped toasted peanuts makes for a great addition to this Soba Noodle Bowl.
- Noodles of your choice- instead of Soba Noodles you can use Udon Noodles or Rice Noodles or even Ramen
- Chicken - instead of Tofu, feel free to use Chicken. Cook it exactly the same way as you cook Tofu. Just use boneless chicken pieces and cook Chicken a little longer.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or hot sauce to the sauce to make it spicy
- Peanuts - garnish with toasted peanuts. it tastes so good
- Sweet Hoisin Sauce - to make the sauce sweeter, add a tablespoon of Hoisin Sauce to the sauce mixture
Serve cold Soba Noodles with dipping sauce
A great idea would be to serve cooked and cooled Soba Noodles separately with the dipping sauce on the side. Its so easy and cuts the cook time by half.
All you have to do is cook the noodles separately, make the sauce separately and serve!
Cold Soba Noodles
This Soba Noodle Bowl is best served cold. cooling down the noodles allows the sauce to really penerate deep into the noodles making them extra delicious.
Refrigerate: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can refrigerate Soba Noodles bowls for up to a week
I do not recommend freezing these noodles as the noodles get all watery and break apart upon thawing.
Make ahead: You can cook the noodles, make the sauce and saute the veggies and store in an airtight container covered with a glass lid. This stays fresh for upto a week.
Are Soba Noodles the healthiest?
Yes. These are the healthiest noodles. Unlike other noodles which are either made with rice or refined flour, these are low in carb, high in fibre and protein. Also since they are made with Buckwheat flour, they are naturally Gluten Free.
Are Soba Noodles better than pasta?
Yes. Since these are made using Gluten Free Flour so they are healthier and cooks easy. Also Soba Noodles are low carb than pasta.
What is so special about Soba Noodles?
These are super healthy, just like Whole Wheat Spaghetti. Also Buckwheat flour which is used to make Soba Noodles is a heart healthy flour that lowers blood sugar and prevents inflammation in the body.
What do you eat Soba Noodles with?
Soba Noodles makes for a whole meat in itself. Also besides that, these are some great sides with Soba Noodles
- Asian Cucumber Red Onion Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Cucumber Red Onion Avocado Salad
- Fresh Wasabi
- Dashi Soy Sauce
Top Tips to cook Easy Soba Noodles recipe
- Cook Soba Noodles as per package directions
- Do not rinse the noodles after draining them
- You can cook the noodles ahead of time and refrigerate for a week
- Add veggies of your choice to make it a healthy Soba noodle bowl
- You can skip Tofu and replace with chicken
- Drain the Tofu before use
- To make crispy tofu cubes, toss with cornstarch and soy sauce in a zipper pouch and pan fry them or air fry them for 3-4 min until crispy.
More easy weeknight dinners
- Spinach and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Taco stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Zucchini Taco Boats
- Ground Beef and Rice Bowls with Asian Glaze
Sesame Tofu Soba Noodles Bowl
- 1 pound Soba Noodles dried
- 1 14oz Tofu packaged, extra firm
- 2 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil or any cooking oil to cook the veggies
- 1 cup chopped Veggies of your choice I use chopped button mushrooms, half head of broccoli finely chopped and 1 medium sized bell pepper thinly sliced. You can add thinly sliced cabbage, carrot or scallions as well.
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds for garnish
- 2 green onions finely chopped, for garnish
- Drain the Tofu. Double wrap the Tofu block with two paper towels and set it on a dinner plate. Now weigh it down using any heavy utensil like a cast iron skillet or a saucepan. Let it sit for about 15 min and then cut into cubes using a sharp serrated kitchen knife.
- Add packaged dried Soba Noodles to a pot of boiling water. Add a pinch of salt to it and cook as per package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl or mixing jar add all the ingredients to make the sauce. Stir and set aside.
- Heat Avocado Oil in a cast iron skillet. As the oil shimmers add the Tofu and pan fry tossing frequently until golden brown for about 5-10 min. Add the chopped veggies and cook for 5 more minutes. Season with a pinch of salt so that the veggies cook quickly.
- Pour the sauce over the veggies. Toss in the cooked Soba Noodles and green onions. Toss until combined. Take it off the heat.
- Serve in four bowls. Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve when cold.