15-minute Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp is bursting with sweet, spicy, and tangy Asian flavors. Crispy Shrimps tossed in a quick Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce and served with Rice or Steamed Veggies. It's so easy to make and much better than a takeout Asian Shrimp dinner. 😀
This Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp makes for an easy weeknight dinner recipe. You can make it in just 15-minutes. ⏲️ You can serve this with Steamed Jasmine Rice or Coconut Rice or Cauliflower Rice for a Low Carb Meal.
This Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp is made using Sweet Chili Sauce, Brown Sugar, a hint of Sriracha, Dark Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, and garlic. 🤤 I like to use Sesame Oil and Garlic to flavor my Asian Sweet Chili Sauce because it gives a nutty taste to my sauce and fills my sauce with amazing Asian Flavors.😋
I just love cooking Asian Recipes. Have you tried my Crispy Honey Sesame Shrimp in Air Fryer which is a Panda Express Favoruite but I bet my version is better OR Creamy Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry Recipe which is so good and delicious OR Air Fryer Firecracker Shrimp which is just amazing OR Copycat Bonefish Grill Bang Bang Shrimp - Best Shrimp Appetizer Ever🤤🤤🤤
- Shrimp - Peeled and Deveined
For the Sauce
- Sesame Oil (Sub with Canola Oil)
- Brown Sugar (sub with white)
- Garlic (minced)
- Soy Sauce (light or all-purpose)
- Sweet Chili Sauce (sub with Ketchup)
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Sesame Seeds
- Green Onions (Finely chopped)
- Red Pepper (Finely chopped)
See recipe card below for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: Fry the Shrimp
- Heat Sesame Oil in a Pan
- As the Oil shimmers, add the Shrimp and fry until they get crispy on both sides
- Get them out of the Pan and keep aside.
STEP 2: Make the Sauce
- Throw in all the ingredients to make the sauce in a Glass cup and whisk until combined.
- Pour the sauce in the same pan where you fried the Shrimp
- Allow it to simmer over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
STEP 3: Serve
- Pour the sauce over the fried Shrimps🤤
- Garnish with Sesame Seeds and Green Onions (finely chopped) if desired.
- Serve with Steamed Rice or Noodles.😀
This is a healthy Gluten free recipe so it doesnot uses Cornstarch to thicken the sauce. The Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce will be naturally thick because of Brown Sugar. It'll almost taste like a sticky Sweet Chili Garlic Jam 🤤
Hint: If you think that the sauce is too runny or you have added too much water to make the sauce, then simmer it until it thickens or make a quick cornstarch slurry by combining Cornstarch with Water and make the sauce. You can also make this recipe with my favorite Pineapple Chili Sauce.
⏲️ A 15-minute Recipe
This Easy Shrimp Recipe takes just 15-minutes to make from scratch. Its such a simple recipe and made using simple pantry staple ingredients.
The best thing about Shrimps is that you do not need to overcook them. They cook very quickly in just about 2-3 minutes over medium - high heat. Overcooking Shrimps makes them rubbery and thats so bad!
Also, the sauce takes just 2-minutes to make and about 5 minutes to simmer until it thickens and gets sticky.
The sauce will easily get sticky on simmering over high heat for 5 minutes. However, make sure to constantly stir the sauce so that it doesn't get burnt or stick to the bottom of the pan.
This recipe is also possible with Chicken. All you need is just boneless Chicken cut into cubes and you can use the same recipe for Chicken as well.
- Sweet Chili Sauce - You can use Tomato Ketchup along with Red Pepper Flakes as a replacement.
- Ginger - I have used minced Garlic for this recipe. You can use both Ginger and Garlic in this recipe for even better flavors.
- Vegetarian - You can make a vegetarian version of the same recipe by stir-frying veggies of your choice and tossing them with the sauce.
If you are looking for a healthy way to make this recipe, then skip frying Shrimp and Air Fry them.
💯 Expert Tips to make this Recipe
- Spicy - You can adjust the spice level of this Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp recipe by including more or less Red Pepper Flakes or Sriracha in the sauce
- Shrimp - Do not overcook the Shrimp. There is nothing worse than juicy and plump shrimp getting all rubbery after overcooking them. So, just fry them in hot oil for 2-3 minutes until they curl up. If you're Air Frying Shrimp then cook at 200C for 3 minutes.
You can make this Shrimp and store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe as this does not freeze well and the shrimp lose their crunch upon them.
🥗 Serving Sides
- You can serve this with Asian Cucumber Salad
- Or with Creamy Cucumber Red Onion Salad with Dill and Sourcream
- Or, Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- Or, Shrimp Fried Rice
- Or, Jasmine Rice
- Or, Coconut Rice
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp
- 1 lbs Shrimp Deveined and Peeled
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil (Sub with Canola Oil)
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar (Sub with White)
- 6-7 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Light Soy Sauce (or All Purpose)
- 2 tablespoon Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Sub with Ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Green Onions finely chopped
- Red Pepper finely chopped
- Sesame Seeds
- Heat up some Oil in a skillet. As the oil shimmers, throw in the Shrimp. Keep some gap between each shirmp. Cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until the Shrimps curl up. Cook both sides until they get light pink. Once the Shrimps gets cooked, take them out of the skillet and keep in a separate plate.
- To Make the Sweet Chili Sauce combine all the sauce ingredients in a mixing jar or bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour it in the same skillet where you had previously cooked the Shrimps. Allow the sauce to simmer over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Stir occassionally and scrape off anything sticking to the bottom of the skillet. After 5 minutes turn off the heat and see of the sauce has thickened and got sticky. It should get sticky after 5minutes of simmering.
- Toss the cooked Shrimp with the sauce. Garnish with chopped Green Onions, Sesame Seeds, and Red Peppers. Serve with Rice or Noodles and a side Salad.