Peach Pie - Juicy Peaches and buttery crust on the bottom creates a mouthwatering dessert that you simply can't resist. After Peach Pie Lasagna and Juicy Peach Cream Cheese Hand Pies if there is any peachy dessert that will woo you and your family it is this old-fashioned peach pie with crumb topping.
In this Peach Pie recipe, I have used my recipe for homemade buttery pie crust. But, feel free to use store-bought pie crust such as Jiffy pie crust or King Aurthur's Gluten-Free Pie Crust and etc.
Peach Pie without Lattice
Generally, when we think of Pies such as Apple Pie or Blueberry Pie we think of a beautiful lattice. But, in this Peach Pie recipe, I have deliberately avoided making the lattice. Although, feel free to make the lattice if you like it.
So skipping everything unnecessary, let me quickly tell you how to make a peach pie.
How to Make Peach Pie with Crumb Topping
Step 1: Make the Pie Dough
If you are using store-bought pie crust, then you can skip this step. See this Video and Learn how to Make the Best Homemade Pie Crust from scratch. What you can do is - allow the refrigerated pie crust to stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
Step 2: Roll the Pie Dough and Bake
- Next, dust your surface with flour and roll the pie dough. Roll it a little larger than the size of your pie dish. For instance, suppose you have a 9-inch pie dish then roll it about 11-12 inches.
- Grease your pie dish with non-stick cooking spray and unroll your pie dough onto your pie dish. Press the sides and the excess dough will fall off. you can keep the rest wrapped in a foil and use it later. These pie doughs freeze really well.
- Flute the edges of the pie with your fore-finger and thumb. Make sure you prick the pie dough with your fork. Pricking the pie dough is super important.
- Bake it at 400 degrees F for 10-minutes.
Step 3: Making Peach Pie Filling from scratch
- In a bowl place peach chunks. You can use fresh peaches or canned peaches. If using fresh peaches you need to peel the skin. Scroll down and see how to peel fresh peaches like a pro. Next, cut them into chunks (i didn't slice) and used them.
- Add Brown sugar, Cornstarch, and Ground Cinnamon. Mix well. If you want you can also add (Ginger for that warm summer taste, Ground Nutmeg for a fragrant and aromatic peach pie filling, and Lemon Juice to brighten up the flavours)
- This is your peach pie filling. You can use this exact filling for Peach Cobbler and so many other peach desserts.
Step 4: Pour Pie filling
- Once your pie crust is baked and cooled, pour the peach pie filling into it. Spread it out using a spatula.
Step 5: Make Crumb Topping
- If you don't want to make a crumb topping you can use your remaining Pie crust to make a lattice. See this Blueberry Pie recipe or this Apple Pie recipe and learn how to make a beautiful lattice for your pie.
Or else, if you like a buttery crumb topping as I do, then you can do the following:
- In a bowl combine flour, Brown Sugar, Ground Cinnamon, and shredded butter. Mix it all up with your hands. Add some chopped Walnuts or Almonds for a nutty flavour. I have used some sliced almonds.
- Spoon this crumb topping on your Peach Pie. I remember I made New York Style Apple Crumb Pie a few days back. It has been loved by people all over the world.
Step 6: Bake your Pie
- Finally, bake your pie in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 20-minutes. Once your pie is baked, allow it to cool down completely. Then cut into slices and serve right away.
How to I Peel Fresh Peaches
- Soak peaches in a pot of boiling water for no more than 30-seconds.
- Then shock the peaches by immediately picking them up with a slotted spoon and placing them in ice-cold water. This process stops the cooking process instantly.
- Then use a paring knife to peel peaches.
I learnt this trick from Taste of Home, you can learn more there.
Tip of the Day:
- Do not Slice Peaches - Sliced Peaches will become Mushy. And, in my home, we like to bite onto juicy peaches. So, Whenever I make peach pie, I cut them into chunks. I learnt this trick from Sally's Baking Addiction. You can learn more from her.
How Do I Thicken My Peach Pie Filling?
- Use Thickening Agents - Generally, peaches ooze out a lot of water when we soak it in sugar. What we can do is soak it in water for about 30-minutes and then discard the water. Or What I generally do to thicken my peach pie filling is add cornstarch. Cornstarch can also be replaced with flour. But, many people don't like flour because it makes it look cloudy. Instead of Cornstarch and Flour, you can also use Quick Cooking Tapioca. It works really well in soaking up the excess liquid from the peach pie filling. You can also use Instant Pudding to soak up any excess liquid. In fact, Lemon Instant Pudding is pretty popular amongst veteran pie makers. Not only does it thicken your pie filling but the lemon also brightens up the flavours.
- Bake - Just the crust turning brown is not enough for you to know that your summer pie is ready. Bake it until the thickening agents set up completely.
- Know more about thickening Runny Peach Pies here in this excellent article by The Kitchn.
How Long Can I Store this Pie?
If you live in a place with a warm climate then you can allow your peach pie to cool down completely and then cover it loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 2-3 days.
Generally, fruit pies that don't contain eggs can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-days (provided you cover it tightly).
You can Freeze your Pie. To Freeze your pie allow it to cool down completely at room temperature then transfer it to your freezer (uncovered). When your Pie has frozen completely, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to a freezer bag. They can stay up to 4-months. I learnt how to store this from Gold Medal Flour. Learn more there.
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik and let me know how it turned out.
Peach Pie with crumb topping
- Homemade Pie Crust see recipe in the notes below.
Peach Pie Filling
- 8 medium peaches cut into chunks (not slices)
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cold unsalted butter cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped Almonds
- Prepare my Homemade Buttery Pie crust. Or if using store bought pie crust then let it stand at room temperature for 15-minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unroll the Pie crust onto a greased pie dish. Prick it with a fork. Flute the edges with fore-finger and thumb. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 10-minutes. Once done, cool it down completely. In the meantime Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degree C.
- In a bowl combine the ingredients for peach pie filling. Pour it onto your pie crust.
- In a separate bowl combine the ingredients for crumb topping and spoon it over your peach pie filling.
- Bake this in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 20-minutes. Once done, allow it to cool down completely. Cut into slices and serve right away.
- The Best Recipe for Homemade Buttery Pie Crust.
- Make Ahead Instructions: You can prepare the Ingredients for the Peach Pie filling and refrigerate it (covered with a lid) for 1 day in the refrigerator. You can easily make the Pie dough 1-5 days ahead of time. But, make sure you allow your pie dough to stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before using it or thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- Storing Peach Pie: You can refrigerate this pie (tightly covered with a plastic wrap) for 2-3 days. Or if you want to freeze, then you can freeze it for 4-months. To freeze this pie first keep it in the freezer uncovered (of course, when it has cooled down to room temperature). Once frozen, transfer to a freezer-friendly bag or wrap in plastic wrap. Then Freeze it for 4-months.
Ask Me Anything