Creamy Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup with a Carrots, Celery, freshly minced garlic, and onions makes for a cozy, comforting, and simple dinner recipe that is both elegant and superb🎉 Alternatively You can make lemon chicken spinach orzo soup or you can make Turkey Meatballs and stir it in your spinach orzo soup.
Hearty, cozy, and comforting this orzo soup with celery, carrots & spinach has delicate flavors of lemon, and will be loved by someone who doesn't necessarily loves soup.
A loaf of crusty bread 🥖 and this refreshing and satisfying soup will be your ultimate winter comfort food. ❄️🧤🧣
Talking about winter comfort food and soups I want to tell you guys about my Easy Black Bean and Spinach Soup in Crock Pot and My Best Spinach Soup Recipe with Crispy Garlic Croutons
😋Orzo Spinach Soup
Orzo Spinach Soup is one of the cosiest soups that you can make with fresh vegetables, meat, and of course some heavy cream or half and half.
There are many different ways of making orzo soup with spinach.
First there is Greek Lemon Spinach Soup
Basically, in Greek Lemon Spinach Soup you get to add the veggies, chicken stock, onions, oregano, herbs like rosemary, thyme, and dried basil 🌱
But, in case you are making Italian Orzo Spinach Soup you gotta add a can of diced tomatoes🍅. Apart from tomatoes all the ingredients remains the same.
In my case, I used Half and Half and Cream Cheese to make a creamy pasta sauce for my Lemon Orzo Soup with Spinach.
Besides this, you might also like these Spinach recipes
- 😋Orzo Spinach Soup
- 🍳Ingredients for Orzo Soup with Spinach
- 🧑🍳Instructions on How to Make Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
- 🥬How to Wash Fresh Spinach?
- 💁Cooking Variations
- 🌱How to Make Vegan Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
- ⚕️How to Make Gluten Free Spinach Soup
- 🥘Can I Make this soup in the Crock Pot
- 🌶How do I make this lightly Spicy
- 🍝More Orzo Recipes
- Top Tips
- 🍲More Soup Recipes
- Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
🍳Ingredients for Orzo Soup with Spinach
- Unsalted Butter
- Freshly Minced garlic cloves
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning - I like to use my homemade Italian Seasoning.
- Cream Cheese
- Half and Half
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
See recipe card for quantities.
🧑🍳Instructions on How to Make Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
Step 1: Sauté Veggies 🧅🧄🥕
In a saucepan melt some butter. Add onions, freshly minced garlic cloves, carrots, and celery. Sauté until the veggies soften.
Step 2: Season 🧂
Season with Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper. Add some Italian Seasonings and sauté for a minute.
Step 3: Pour Half and Half and Cream Cheese 🥛
Add Cream Cheese and half and half. Toss lightly and bring it to a slow boil.
Step 4: Stir in Orzo (pasta) and Spinach 🍝
Add Orzo (pasta) and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Step 5: Stir in Spinach 🥬
Finally, Stir in Spinach and cook for just 1-2 minutes until its wilted but still bright green in color.
Step 6: Taste and Season if desired 👅
Taste your lemon spinach orzo soup and season with Salt and Freshly ground black pepper as per taste. Feel free to add in more Rosemary, Thyme or Oregano as per your taste.
Step 7: Serve 🍲
Serve with Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, and Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
Hint: Allow Orzo (pasta) to cook for at least 10-15 minutes. But, don't add in Spinach in the beginning. Spinach cooks really fast. So, if add spinach and cook it for just 2-minutes. This will help spinach retain its color and nutrients.
More Spinach Pasta that you might like:
🥬How to Wash Fresh Spinach?
Fresh Spinach contains a lot of debris, dirt, and sand. Therefore its really important to clean your spinach thoroughly.
- Plunge fresh spinach leaves in a large bowl of cold water.
- Swish with your hands so that the debris come out.
- Replace the water and swish around once again.
- Transfer washed spinach leaves to a colander and wash all over again.
- Allow spinach to stand for few minutes before using.
- Chicken - you can add chicken and make Lemony Chicken Spinach Orzo Soup.
- Turkey - you can add your leftover Turkey (if you are making it after Thanksgiving) and make Lemon Turkey Spinach orzo soup.
- Sausage - you can add in 1 pound of ground italian sausage to make this soup.
- Mushrooms - you can add 1 pound of cremini mushrooms to make this soup.
- white bean spinach orzo soup - you can add in 1 can (15 ounces) of cannellini beans to make this spinach orzo soup.
- Turkey Meatball Spinach Orzo Soup - To make this recipe you have to make turkey Meatballs separately and then add it to your spinach orzo soup.
- kidney bean spinach orzo soup - You can add 2 (15 ounces) can of orzo and make your soup.
🌱How to Make Vegan Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
To make this recipe vegan you can skip half and half and Cream Cheese and instead of these two ingredients you can add regular or fire roasted canned diced tomato.
⚕️How to Make Gluten Free Spinach Soup
To make a Gluten-Free version of Lemon Spinach Soup you can replace orzo with any Gluten Free Pasta or Quinoa or Cauliflower Rice.
🥘Can I Make this soup in the Crock Pot
Yes. Slow Cooker Lemon Orzo Soup is one of the most easiest soups that you can make.
Just dump and forget this soup is super amazing.
But, I like to sauté onions, garlic and veggies separately in butter and olive oil so that the veggies release flavor in the oil.
Then all I do is simply dump it in the slow cooker with orzo and spinach.
Pour in Half and half, water, and Cream Cheese. Give it a quick stir and slow cook.
Cook on Low for 4 hours or on High for 2 hours.
🌶How do I make this lightly Spicy
If you think this soup needs more heat then feel free to add in some crushed red pepper flakes towards the end.
Or else if you like earthy tone then you can add some ground cumin while sauteing the veggies.
🍝More Orzo Recipes
- First sauté onions, celery, and carrots until soft and then add finely minced garlic cloves. You don't want to cook garlic for a long time because garlic loses its flavors. So, make sure you add garlic towards the end and sauté it for just 1-minute.
- Allow Orzo (pasta) to cook for at least 15-minutes because you don't want the spinach to remain uncooked.
- Stir in Spinach just 2-minutes before serving. Simmer for 2-minutes and serve your spinach soup with your favorite garnishes.
- Make sure you taste your spinach orzo soup before serving. Adjust salt, pepper, and seasonings as per taste.
🍲More Soup Recipes
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup in a Crock Pot
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Traditional Brown Lentil Soup
Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cup yellow onions diced
- 1½ cup chopped carrots about 3 large
- 1½ cup chopped celery about 3 stalks
- 5-6 cloves garlic finely minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups half and half
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock or plain water
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 cup (5.8 oz) dried orzo pasta
- 4 cups fresh spinach washed, rinsed, and roughly chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- ⅓ cup Lemon Juice juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat Olive Oil and melt unsalted butter in a large stockpot or Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook until the veggies soften 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add finely minced garlic cloves and sauté for 1-minute or until fragrant.
- Season with Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper. Stir in Italian Seasoning.
- Stir in Cream Cheese. Pour Half and Half and chicken stock. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add Orzo (pasta) and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the orzo (pasta) is tender, fluffy and al dente.
- Add roughly chopped fresh spinach. Cook for 2 minutes until spinach is wilted but the is still bright green in color. Taste and season your soup with salt, pepper, and herbs as per your taste.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.