Healthy low-carb Spinach stuffed chicken breast without cream cheese is a baked chicken breast recipe that you'd be making again and again, and should I say again 😉
Previously, I shared Cheesy Mozzarella and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast in Air Fryer. But now, instead of using cream cheese which is full of unhealthy fat and unhealthy carbs, I bring you this easy low-carb chicken dinner.
This healthy stuffed chicken breast recipe calls for lean chicken breasts, baby spinach, cheddar cheese, spices and seasonings, and just 20-minutes of your time.
- Ingredients for spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast
- How to Make Spinach stuffed chicken breast in oven
- What to serve with spinach stuffed chicken breast
- Baked spinach stuffed chicken breast sounds nice. But can I cook it in the Air fryer?
- What's the best way to stuff chicken breast?
- What to eat with stuffed chicken breast?
- How do you keep stuffed chicken breast together?
- How do I stop my stuffed chicken from leaking?
- More Chicken Recipes:
- Healthy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast - no cream cheese
You could also try these stuffed chicken breast recipes:
- French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole (so cheesy!)
- Cheesy Pizza Stuffed Chicken
- Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cream Cheese
Ingredients for spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast
- Olive Oil
- Baby Spinach
- seasonings & spices - salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.
- minced garlic
- greek yogurt
- sharp cheddar cheese
- Lean Chicken Breast
- chopped tomatoes
How to Make Spinach stuffed chicken breast in oven
- STEP 1: Cut open Chicken Breasts
If you have frozen chicken breasts, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Use a sharp knife to cut open the chicken breast from the side - like a butterfly.
- STEP 2: Make Cheddar and Spinach filling
Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add baby spinach and stir until the spinach wilts. Add freshly minced garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- STEP 3: Stuff Chicken breasts
Spoon the cheddar and spinach filling into the chicken breast. Seal it with a tooth pick.
- STEP 4: Season Chicken Breast
Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, and some olive oil. Place it on the prepared 9x9 inch baking dish. Top with a slice of tomato and some shredded cheddar cheese.
- STEP 5: Bake
Transfer it to a preheated oven at 350°F or 180°C. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
What to serve with spinach stuffed chicken breast
- Brussel Sprouts wrapped in Bacon - A classic side dish which you can serve.
- Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins - Want to serve something quick and healthy? Try this easy egg muffins.
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Chips - Summers = Zucchini season. Make these zucchini muffins with dark chocolate chips.
- Healthy & Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms - One of my favorite sides to serve with such a hearty chicken breast recipe.
Baked spinach stuffed chicken breast sounds nice. But can I cook it in the Air fryer?
Yes sure. You can make baked spinach stuffed chicken breast in your Air fryer/Oxy fryer.
All you have to do is follow the same recipe and just place it in your air fryer for 10-12 minutes at 200°C.
You must definitely take a look at this article - Air Fryer Chicken Breasts - How long to Cook Chicken Breasts in Air Fryer where I've talked in length about cooking chicken breast in air fryer.
What's the best way to stuff chicken breast?
The easiest way to stuff chicken breast is to cut open your thick chicken breast from the side and reach the center of the meat.
It would open up like a butterfly or a book.
Add your filling. Ensure the filling is not too liquidy - or else it'll ooze out.
What to eat with stuffed chicken breast?
Stuffed chicken breast is best enjoyed with some side salads. I personally like to pair my stuffed chicken breast with my favorite Broccoli Corn Salad.
Pairing stuffed chicken breast with a cozy bowl of soup is very comforting. When having soups, my go-to option is - Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup or Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
When I'm not in the mood for a salad or soup, I blindly go for something as comforting as Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
How do you keep stuffed chicken breast together?
That's a good question. And the answer is simple—no fancy schmancy strings—just your regular toothpicks. Use two or three toothpicks depending on the length of your chicken breast.
How do I stop my stuffed chicken from leaking?
If your filling is liquidy or very runny, you might find the chicken leaking even though you've used a toothpick to seal it. Therefore the easiest way to stop your stuffed chicken from leaking is to use less liquid while making the stuffing.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Juiciest Garlic Herb Chicken Breast in Oven
- Balsamic Marinated Chicken Breasts
- Honey Mustard Chicken Breast
- Baked Herb Chicken Breasts in a Creamy Sauce
Healthy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast - no cream cheese
- 1 pound Chicken Breast make sure its thawed overnight in the refrigerator (if using frozen chicken breast)
- 1 cup Baby Spinach chopped
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese low fat (divided)
- 2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- tomato thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Clean and dry the chicken breast. Cut it in the center to add the filling.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. As the oil shimmers, add the chopped spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Add Yogurt and shredded low fat cheddar cheese. Toss to combine.
- Add the filling in the chicken breast. Seal it with a toothpick. Top with a slice of tomato and some more shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and olive oil on both sides. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and a thin slice of tomato (optional). Bake @180C or 350F for 16-20 min.
- Remove from the pan and serve. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve
Ask Me Anything