Eggplant Casserole - Something that gives serious competition to Baked Eggplant Curry and Eggplant Lasagna. Low Carb and Keto Recipe for dinner that is just as filling as a Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole or Keto Cauliflower Rice and Chicken Casserole or Broccoli Rice Casserole.
I just LOVE eggplant. I think the first thing that I love about Eggplant is the meaty texture. I love roasted Eggplant. Especially that crispy coating on the outside and that sweet, soft, and meaty filling on the inside.
Cheesy Eggplant Casserole
If I have to tell you about my favorite recipe with Eggplant then it has to be this Cheesy Eggplant Casserole. When I served this on the table, people gobbled it up in minutes. It was so delicious and it smelled so good that I was sure that this dish won't even last for half hour on the table.
The best part is about this recipe is that it is Keto-friendly and Low-Carb. When we think about Low-carb recipes, we often forget about Eggplant. In fact, Eggplant is probably the last thing that comes to our mind when we think about Low Carb Dinner recipes. Just like Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole, Chicken Enchilada Skillet Casserole, Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms, Quinoa Fried Rice - this Eggplant Casserole is super delicious and also Low carb.
You know in my family, Eggplant is not loved by many. My brother hates Eggplant. My Mom LOVES eggplant. I LOVE Eggplant. One of my kids loves it while the other one hates it. My husband has a LOVE/HATE relationship with Eggplant.
But, can I tell you something FUNNY! Today when I served this Cheesy Eggplant Casserole on the table, I can't say they were pretty excited about it. But, yes! They were super excited with the smell of it. As soon as they entered the dining area - I hear words like - "Wow! It smells delicious in here". "Looks like Mom is making something amazing today".
Well, I was happy that they loved how it smells. At least, that's a good start, right?
Baked Eggplant Casserole
This Baked Eggplant Casserole is such an easy recipe that by the time you finish reading this article you must have already started with the preparation.
Baking Eggplant takes time. I hate that waiting period. But, that's it. Besides that, all we are doing is just layering with cheese and waiting for that cheese to melt.
What I love about this recipe is that it takes very few ingredients. I am sure this is a thing that will inspire you to make Baked Eggplant Casserole right away.
Ingredients Needed to Make Vegetarian Eggplant Casserole
- Eggplant - You'll have to cut your Eggplant into thin 1/4 inch slices. Thin slices are important to help it roast faster in the oven.
- Olive Oil - Olive Oil is needed to coat Eggplant.
- Salt & Pepper - Basic Seasoning for Eggplant.
- Garlic Powder - Just a touch of Garlic powder is enough to add that garlicky kick to our Eggplant.
- Marinara Sauce - You can use homemade Marinara Sauce or Storebought. In this recipe, I have used Storebought Marinara Sauce.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese - Shredded Mozzarella Cheese is a must especially when we are making a Cheesy Casserole recipe for dinner.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese - Lastly some shredded Parmesan Cheese adds a beautiful Cheesy texture to our Baked Eggplant Casserole.
Now that you know what you'll be needing to make this casserole. Why not take a quick look at the recipe.
How to Make Baked Eggplant Casserole?
- Slice Eggplant - First you'll have to coat the Eggplant in Olive Oil, Salt, and Pepper.
- Coat Eggplant: Coat your eggplant in Olive Oil, Salt, and Pepper.
- Bake: Next bake your eggplant in a preheated oven at 500 degrees F for 15-minutes.
- Flip and Bake Again: Now flip your Eggplant to the other side and bake them for another 15-minutes.
- Layer: Take it off the heat and reduce the oven temp to 425 degrees F. Spread Homemade/Storebought Marinara Sauce on the Eggplant. Sprinkle Shredded Mozzarella Cheese and Shredded Parmesan Cheese on each Eggplant. Top it with another layer of baked eggplant. Repeat the above steps.
- Bake: Bake your eggplant in a 425 degrees F preheated oven for 15-minutes or until the cheesy melts and is bubbly on top.
Other Low Carb Recipes that you can make:
- Low Carb Zucchini Tater Tots - Low Carb Snack that you are bound to like.
- Keto Zucchini Fritters without Flour - I bet you like the part that says - "Without Flour"!
- Low Carb Cauliflower Mac n Cheese - Creamy Mac n Cheese with Cauliflower!
- Low Carb & Keto Cheeseburger Casserole - Your Favorite Cheeseburger is now available in Keto format.
- Fried Green Beans in Air fryer - Easiest Low Carb Side Dish.
- Quinoa Zucchini Muffins - This recipe contains NO FLOUR, NO SUGAR, AND NO OATS and is still the most delicious thing I've ever had.
- Cheesy Pizza Sticks - This Keto and Low Carb snack will make you want to stay on the keto diet forever.
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks - We often order Garlic Breadsticks online. right? Well, we could easily make it at home.
- 1 Large Eggplant 1.5 lbs (cut into thin 1/4 inch slices)
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Cup Marinara Sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped Parsley for Garnish (OPTIONAL)
- Slice Eggplant: Slice Eggplant into thin ¼ inch slices.
- Coat Eggplant: Coat Eggplant (both sides) with Olive Oil, Salt, Ground Black Pepper, and Garlic Powder. Use your fingers to spread it evenly on the eggplant. Make sure each slice is evenly coated in Oil, Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder.
- Preheat oven: Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F.Bake: Bake Eggplant for 15-minutes. After 15-minutes, flip them over and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Reduce Oven temp: Once Eggplant is baked, take them out of the oven and reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Spread Marinara Sauce: Spread Homemade/Storebought Marinara Sauce on each Eggplant. Use the back of a spoon or a spatula to spread it evenly. Sprinkle Shredded Mozzarella Cheese and Shredded Parmesan Cheese. Add another Layer: Add another layer of baked Eggplant. Top it with some more shredded Mozzarella Cheese and Shredded parmesan Cheese.
- Bake: Finally, bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F for 15-minutes or until the cheese melts and is bubbly on top.Serve: Garnish with Freshly chopped Basil or Parsley and serve after cooling it down for 10-minutes.