Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos. Switch things up for Taco Tuesdays with these Chiptole Chicken Taquitos. Cheesy and Spicy Chicken tossed with spices, Chipotle Peppers, and Colby Jack Cheese is wrapped and baked until crispy. Finally is served with Guacamole, Creamy Ranch, Spicy Salsa, and some Shredded Cheddar on top. These easy and quick Baked Chicken Taquitos come together very quickly and are the perfect Summer night dinner recipe.
Baked Chicken and Cheese Taquitos with Chipotle Peppers
Hey friends. It's officially Cinco Weekend which means the Summers are here. Finally! The sunny days and the clear blue skies with blooming flowers everywhere. It's really such a beautiful sight to behold.
This beautiful Summer weather got me all excited to make these Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos. I love Mexican food and especially during the Summer months, my go-to recipes are always Mexican recipes. Today while making these Spicy and Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos, all I could think of was those long summer days during summer holidays when we used to be kids and used to play all day and watch TV until we dozed off and fell down from the couch!
This recipe is kind of inspired by all of these lazy days' emotions. When we are running through a lazy day, we need food that is not bland but something spicy and yet not too spicy, which gets you all teary. Something cheesy to cheer you up as well. And came the idea of Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos.
I made these Baked Chicken Taquitos in the oven and they got so crispy and crunchy. Also, the best thing about cooking the Taquitos in the oven is that you do not have to precook the filling. It comes together so easily but is always high on flavors.
I like to make these Baked Chicken Taquitos with shredded Chicken. I use Precooked Shredded Chicken for this recipe.
Ingredients needed to make Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
- Shredded Chicken (precooked)
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika
- Dried Oregano
- Enchilada Sauce
- Chipotle Peppers Adobo Sauce Flour Tortillas
- Chopped Cilantro, Ranch dressing, shredded Cheddar, and Salsa (for garnish).
How to make Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
STEP 1: Make the filling
This easy Chipotle Chicken taquito requires just a few basic ingredients to make the filling
- Combine Precooked Shredded Chicken with Cream Cheese, Salsa, Colby Jack Cheese, Ground Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Enchilada Sauce, Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce or Chopped dried Chipotle Peppers, Dried Oregano and Salt.
STEP 2: Roll the Taquitos
- Place the chicken filling in the Taquitos
- Roll the Taquitos
- Place them in a baking dish
- Brush Olive Oil over the Taquitos
STEP 3: Bake
- Bake the Taquitos @400F for 15 minutes or until they turn golden brown
STEP 4: Serve
- Serve the Taquitos with Ranch Dressing, Chopped Cilantro, Salsa, and shredded Cheddar Cheese on top.
Other Kinds of Meat
Yes, you can go ahead and replace chicken with Ground Beef or Ground Turkey. I haven't tried this with either of those two, but I'm sure they are going to taste even better and delicious.
Frying The Taquitos
While generally, Taquitos are deep-fried in hot oil. However. I prefer to bake them. Baking Taquitos is so easy and they crisp up in no time. Also, it's obviously a healthier choice.
However, for home cooking, I often shallow fry my Taquitos and drain the excess oil using a paper towel, and it's so good. In fact, tastes just like restaurants.
Flour Tortilla or Corn Tortilla
Well, Ideally Taquitos are supposed to be made with Corn Tortillas. And Flour Tortilla Taquitos are known as Flautas. However, both are hugely interchanged and used in today's cooking.
I like to stick with Flour Tortilla for my recipe. This is because Flour Tortilla is more pliable and easier to roll than Corn Tortillas. Also, Flour Tortillas crisps up just perfectly in the oven as opposed to Corn Tortillas which quickly gets burnt in the oven.
Using Flour Tortilla and baking these Chipotle Chicken Taquitos, allows the Chicken and the spices to get cooked to perfection in the hot temperature.
If I would have deep-fried this, then I would have preferred to saute my filling until cooked through, cool it down, and then roll it with the Tortillas.
Also, deep-frying the Tortillas, crisps up the outside of the Taquitos within seconds and the inside remains uncooked. So, if you're frying these Chipotle Chicken Taquitos, make sure that you cook the filling in a skillet for 3-4 minutes over low heat, cool it down completely, and then use it.
You can make the Chipotle Chicken filling ahead of time and freeze this in an air-tight container for 3 days. Just thaw it in the refrigerator before use. You can also cook the filling and then freeze it. This way it's going to stay fresh for an even longer time, maybe close to 2 weeks.
You can make the Taquitos and wrap them up tightly using plastic wraps and then freeze them. Before serving, bake them in the oven directly for 5 extra minutes, then the mentioned time.
You do not have to thaw the Taquitos before baking them.
You can store these cooked Chipotle Chicken Taquitos in a Tupperware air-tight container or Freezer friendly bag and freeze this. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and heat it in the oven until thoroughly heated. You can store these for 3-4 days in the freezer.
Other Mexican recipes
Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
For the Filling
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken pre-cooked
- 4 oz Cream Cheese 1 tbsp
- 1 cup Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce or chopped dried Chipotle Peppers
- ¼ cup Enchilada Sauce
- ¼ cup Salsa of your choice
- 5 Large Flour Tortillas
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil to brush over the Taquitos
- chopped Cilantro
- Ranch Dressing
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Combine all the filling ingredients. Keep it aside
- Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in a flour tortilla and tightly roll the Taquitos. Place in a baking dish. Brush Olive Oil over the Taquitos. Bake @ 400F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the Taquitos with ranch dressing, chopped Cilantro, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, and Salsa. Enjoy!