Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip is a healthy version of the traditional spinach and artichoke dip. In this recipe, I've skipped Mayonnaise and cream cheese. Instead of that, I've used my homemade Vegan Mozzarella Cheese and Almond Milk. The result is so good.
Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
Rich, Cheesy, and Creamy this is a crowd pleasing appetizer that can be made in the oven or crock pot or instant pot or cast iron skillet.
This is an oven-baked version of spinach artichoke dip. Nothing compares to the coziness of a cold February Sunday watching the game on the big screen and enjoying hot, cheesy, creamy, melty spinach artichoke dip with pita chips.
Healthy spinach artichoke dip - Comfort Food Heaven
I'm gonna make Healthy Spinach Dip meaning my Spinach and Artichoke dip will have No Mayo and No Cream Cheese.
My definition of Healthy Spinach artichoke dip is something that is vegan and totally dairy free.
Therefore I've used my homemade Mozzarella cheese and almond milk to make this dip.
Traditionally you will find people adding about 8 ounces of packaged cream cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and another 1/4 cup of grated Romano cheese.
This can be so unhealthy for you.
Instead of doing that, why not skip all of those unhealthy ingredients and simply use store bought or homemade Vegan Mozzarella Cheese.
Along with that I like to use some Almond Milk to bring it all together.
Sure it is not jam-packed with Mayo. But, what is get is pure heaven...
Ingredients for baked spinach artichoke dip
- Fresh Spinach
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Almond Milk
- Dried Basil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Canned Artichokes
How to Make Spinach and Artichoke Dip
I love how this looks like a mess in the beginning and then converts into a cheesy, melty, stringy spinach and artichoke dip in just 20-minutes.
- STEP 1: Thaw, Rinse, and Drain Frozen Spinach - You can skip this step if you are using fresh spinach. But, be mindful of fresh spinach. They are really sandy. So, make sure you rinse and drain fresh spinach thoroughly.
- STEP 2: Prepare an Oven Safe Skillet or a Baking Dish - Either you can use an oven safe cast iron skillet or any baking dish. Grease it lightly with cooking spray or brush oil.
- STEP 3: Add All Ingredients in the dish - Add Vegan Mozzarella Cheese, Fresh Spinach Leaves, Chopped Artichoke Hearts, Salt, Pepper, Dried Basil, Freshly minced cloves of garlic, and diced yellow onions. Add in some Almond Milk or any other variety of plant based milk. Give it a light stir.
- STEP 4: Bake - Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees F for 20-minutes.
- STEP 5: Broil (OPTIONAL) - If you want the top to turn brown then put you oven to broil mode. Broil your spinach and artichoke dip for 2-3 minutes.
- SERVE - Serve warm with pita chips or sweet potato chips or crusty bread.
- Cashews - You can actually use softened raw cashews to make spinach artichoke dip.
- Tofu - Although this is totally optional but if you want you can top your spinach artichoke dip with toasted tofu. See how to make tofu at home.
- Any other Non-Dairy Milk - I've used Almond Milk but you can use any other Non-Dairy Milk.
- Nutritional Yeast - Homemade or store bought Nutritional Yeast can be used for this recipe.
- Aromatics - You can use aromatics like Onion Powder and Garlic Powder in case you don't want to waste time chopping onions and garlic.
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese - If you want you can make vegan parmesan cheese to serve with your dip.
What to Serve with Spinach and Artichoke Dip
You can serve this dip with so many items.
More Dips you must try:
- Velveeta Sausage Dip
- The Best Beer Cheese Dip
- Avocado Crema - Creamy Dip made with Yogurt
- Queso Mexican Dip (White Mexican Cheese Dip)
- Cheesy Jalapeño Cheddar Spice Dip
Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1½ cup Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 medium Onions diced
- 3 cloves Garlic freshly minced
- 1 14 oz pack Fresh baby Spinach rinsed, and drained (organic)
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts chopped
- 1½ cup plain almond milk or any other dairy free milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Pita Chips
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking dish or a cast iron skillet.
- Add all ingredients in a baking dish or your cast iron skillet. Stir lightly.
- Bake in the center of the oven at 400 degrees F for 20-minutes or until cheesy and melty.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until the top turns light brown. Serve with pita chips or baguette or crackers.
For Stove Top
- Heat a skillet with some Vegan Mozzarella Cheese Sauce.
- Add diced onions and freshly minced cloves of garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add in freshly baby spinach, chopped artichoke hearts, plain almond milk, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and some dried basil. Stir lightly.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium-low heat until the top gets cheesy, bubbly, and melty.
- Top with panko breadcrumbs or red pepper flakes and serve warm with chips/bread/crackers.
- You can top it with Vegan parmesan cheese before baking.
- You can also add panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs on the dip before baking. This gets a nice golden brown sheen and looks scrumptious.
- You can store your leftover vegan spinach and artichoke dip in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Make sure you warm it in the oven at 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F for until completely warmed through before serving.
- If you feel your spinach and artichoke dip has become dry you can add in few more splashes of Almond Milk.
- One of the most common mistakes that all of us often make with this dip is over baking it. Don't do that. This can make your dip extremely dry.