Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes is a quick lunch or dinner recipe that is packed with protein, fiber, and Vitamins. Gets done in just 30-minutes, this easy peasy Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes can be served on a hamburger bun or a whole-wheat bread or a gluten-free bread with some Potato Salad and corn on the cobb. Separate Instructions for Slow Cooker added below. Also, Did you try these Vegan Sloppy Joes Stuffed Sweet Potatoes? It's amazing!
Easy Instant Pot Lentil Sloppy Joes Recipe
In my home, Vegan Sloppy Joes are a regular thing now. Everyone loves them.
The thing with Making Sloppy Joes is that it is so easy. Anyone with little or no knowledge about cooking can easily make this from scratch.
In my home, My Husband and my Kids LOVE sloppy joes. They like it a little sloppier so I don't worry about my sauce getting thick.
But, the thing with Lentil Sloppy Joes is that it soaks up water. So, even if it looks too sloppy, it probably isn't. It will get thick in a matter of minutes.
Which Lentil Should I Choose?
I would suggest you choose Brown Lentil or Green Lentil to make this recipe. Both of them tastes really good. And, the best part is that they don't get mushy. They hold the shape well. This is the only reason why I would advise you to avoid red lentils.
Ingredients You'll Need for these Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Veggies - Onions, Garlic, Bell Pepper, and Chopped Carrots.
- Spices - Smoked Paprika, Black Pepper, Taco Seasoning
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Coconut Sugar
- Tomato Paste
- Canned Tomatoes
- Yellow Mustard
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vegetable broth
How to Make Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes in Instant Pot?
Step 1: Saute Veggies in Instant Pot
Put your Instant Pot in saute mode and heat some oil. Add chopped onions, minced garlic, chopped bell pepper, and chopped carrots into the pot. Saute until the veggies tenderize. This takes around 3-minutes.
Step 2: Add broth and remaining Ingredients
Add Lentils, Tomato Paste, Canned Tomatoes, Yellow Mustard, Vegetable Broth, Vegan Worcestershire Sauce, Coconut Sugar, Apple Cider Vinegar, and spices into the pot. Stir well.
Step 3: Cover lid and Cook
Cover lid and Pressure cook for 16-minutes on High Pressure. Once done, allow pressure to release naturally. This takes another 15-20 minutes.
Step 4: Assemble Sloppy Joes
Finally, Assemble them in your hamburger bun. You can also serve open-faced on gluten-free bread or whole Wheat bread.
Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes Recipe
You can either use your Instant Pot as Slow Cooker (by using the slow cooking function) or you can use your regular slow cooker to make this recipe.
- Add all ingredients to your Slow Cooker.
- Cover Cook for 4-5 hours in your Slow Cooker on High or 8-10 hours on Low.
- Take a look at lentil sloppy joes at regular intervals adding more broth or water if necessary.
- Once they have finished cooking serve them on hamburger buns.
Should I Use Canned Lentils or Dry lentils?
One thing you should remember is that 1 cup of dry lentils equals 2 cups of canned lentils. Secondly, when using canned lentils make sure you skip the broth.
What do I Do with Leftovers?
You can make more sloppy joes. Or you can serve it in Sweet Potatoes (link in the first paragraph).
You can also serve this in a baked potato.
Or else you can serve the remaining mixture over rice.
How do I Serve Vegan Sloppy Joes?
You can serve your Sloppy Joes on any kind of buns. But, make sure it is Vegan. You can either serve it open-faced or serve it in your burger.
Honestly, this mixture is so tasty that you seriously wouldn't mind eating it straight out of the bowl.
You can even serve this on dinner rolls.
Variations for this recipe
- Meat: Instead of Lentils you can use cooked Ground Beef. Or you can use both Ground Beef and Lentils, just reduce the Quantity of lentils by half.
- Spices- You can add any other spices that you like. For a smoky taste, you can add some Ground Cumin.
Other Easy Lentil Recipes
- Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti
- Traditional Brown Lentil Soup Recipe
- Baked Lentil Hand Pies
- Dahi Vada Recipe - Lentil Balls Soaked in Spiced Yogurt Sauce
if you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 cup green or brown lentils well rinsed
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth low sodium
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ Medium Yellow or White Onion finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- ½ Medium Green Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 1 Medium Carrot finely chopped
- Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 15-ounce can Tomato Puree
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar can replace with 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp. Taco Seasoning can replace with ½ tsp. garlic powder + ½ tsp. onion powder
For Serving (OPTIONAL)
- Hamburger Buns (Gluten-Free or Whole Wheat)
- Put your Instant Pot on Saute mode. Add some olive oil. As soon as the oil gets hot, add chopped onions, carrots, bell pepper,and garlic. Saute until they tenderize. This takes almost 2-3 minutes on high heat.
- Pour Vegetable Broth into the pot. Stir well to combine. Simmer for 3-minutes.
- Add Salt, black pepper, Smoked Paprika, and Taco Seasoning. Stir well to combine.Now add Lentils along with Tomato Puree, Tomato paste, Yellow Mustard, Coconut Sugar, Cider Vinegar, and Vegan Worcestershire Sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Cover with a lid and Pressure cook on High for 16-minutes. You can also use the Bean/Chili mode and cook for 20-22 minutes.Once done, allow pressure to release naturally. This will take at least 15-20 minutes.
- Add the Sloppy Joe filling on Hamburger buns or Whole Wheat Bread or Gluten Free Bread. Serve with Salads and fresh corn on the cobb.
- Tomato Sauce: In this recipe, I have used Tomato Puree. But, you can find tomato Paste in the market. It is basically tomato puree seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and herbs. You can also use that for this recipe. But, make sure you taste the seasoning before covering and pressure cooking.
- Slow Cooker: You can turn your Instant Pot into the slow cooker and follow the recipe exactly as written up to step 3. Then just cover with a glass lid and slow cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours. Once it is cooked, you can assemble your Sloppy Joes and enjoy with Fresh Salads.
- Saucepan Recipe: In a saucepan over medium heat add 2 cups of water with 1 cup of rinsed lentils. Bring it to a quick boil and them reduce the heat to low. Cover cook for 25-30 minutes until completely cooked. Different lentils will cook differently. Green lentils and Red Lentils takes 10-minutes. But, Brown lentil takes a little longer. In a Separate saucepan, Saute veggies (onions, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic) in some olive oil. Add cooked lentils along with the remaining liquid. Add Smoked paprika, Taco Seasoning (or Garlic Powder+ Onion Powder), Salt, and Pepper. Add Vegan Worcestershire Sauce, Tomato Paste, canned Tomato Puree, Yellow Mustard, Cider vinegar, and Coconut Sugar. Toss to combine. Cover Cook for 2-3 minutes. Serve in Burger Buns and enjoy!
- Canned Lentils: If using canned lentils make sure you skip broth. Also remember that 1 cup of dried lentils equals 2 cup of canned lentils.
- Vegan Hamburger Buns: Make sure you use Vegan Hamburger Buns if you want to make this vegan.
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce: In case you cannot find Vegan Worcestershire sauce in the market you can make the same at home using this recipe by karissa's Vegan Kitchen
- Variations: You can add cooked Ground Beef along with 1/2 cup lentils to add some meat into this sloppy joes.
Ask Me Anything