Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of the most popular Asian Takeout Recipes. This exceptionally delicious Chicken recipe is made with Pineapple along with Soy Sauce and Oyster Sauce, which lends the sauce that lip-smacking sweet and sour taste, which we adore about this recipe. This is too easy to make and gets ready in under 30-minutes. This pairs amazingly well with some homemade Jasmine Rice.
Hey friends, the Warm weather has got me all excited to start cooking for Summers. I know, it's still just the end of March, and it's just Easter this weekend! However, nothing can stop me to enjoy some sweet and sticky Asian Sweet and Sour Chicken. It's not only my favorite Asian takeout dish but I am in love with the sauce. It's just too good to resist and wait until Summers.
Better than Takeout Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
So, to uplift my mood from some midweek boredom, I decided to make this Sweet and Sour Chicken. And it was obviously beyond amazing! I mean, the sauce is of course my favorite part of the recipe. but the Breaded Chicken gets so crispy and the sweet and sticky sauce over it, along with the bite of Pineapple is just beyond delicious.
How to make Sweet and Sour Chicken
Below is a brief description of how to make Sweet and Sour Chicken. You can find the printable recipe with guided details below. Also, watch the Video of Sweet and Sour Chicken for a visual guide.
- Chop the Chicken Breast - The first step is of course to chop the Chicken Breast into small 1-inch Chicken cubes. The smaller the Chicken pieces, the better because these are anyways going to puff up when they get coated with eggs and get deep-fried.
- Dredge the Chicken - Coat the Chicken with Cornstarch, Salt & Pepper.
- Coat with Eggs - Coat the Chicken pieces again in Cornstarch and then again in beaten Eggs. Doing this will make sure that your Chicken pieces puff up with the breading and taste delicious.
- Deep fry the Chicken - Heat oil in a wok or pan. As the oil gets hot, deep fry the Chicken. Fry the chicken in batches and do not crowd the pan. Once fried, take them out and keep them out in a tissue paper-lined plate to soak out the excess oil
- Make the Sauce - To make the Sauce, in a mixing jar, take Sugar, Brown Sugar, Cider Vinegar, Dark Soy Sauce, Ketchup, Leftover Pineapple Juice, minced Garlic. Stir to combine everything.
- Saute the Veggies - In the same pan, with the leftover oil, add the diced Onions, diced Bell Peppers, and chopped Pineapple. (I have used canned Pineapple, which I have chopped and used). Saute the veggies until they tenderize for 3 minutes over low heat.
- Add the Sauce - Pour the Sauce over the veggies and allow it to thicken and bubble
- Add the Chicken - Now, add the crispy fried Chicken. Toss to combine everything. Simmer for 2 minutes and immediately serve it.
- Garnish - You can optionally garnish with some Sesame Seeds or Green Onions and serve this Sweet and Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice.
Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken
Crispy Chicken tossed in a sweet and sour sauce is a popular American Asian takeout recipe. The Crispy Chicken is due to the Cornstarch and Eggs. When Chicken is dipped in Cornstarch and Eggs, and then it is deep-fried, it puffs up in size due to the Eggs and gets extra crispy because of the Cornstarch. This is what we love about this recipe.
Traditionally in China, Sweet and Sour Pork are mostly served. However, in Western Countries and European Countries, Asian Sweet and Sour Chicken are hugely popular. Also, Sweet and Sour Shrimp is a loved recipe where Shrimp is fried until crispy and tossed in a sweet and sour sauce.
What to serve Asian Sweet and Sour Chicken with?
- You can serve this with Brown Rice or Jasmine Rice
- You can also, serve this with Rice Noodles or any Noodles of your choice
- For a low carb version, serve this with Cauliflower Rice or Quinoa Rice.
More Asian Recipes
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- ½ cup Ketchup
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- ½ cup Reserved Pineapple Juice canned
To fry the Chicken
- 2 large Chicken Breasts chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Cornstarch divided
- salt & pepper
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 1 cup Canola Oil to deep fry the Chicken
- 2 medium sized Onions diced
- 2 medium sized Bell Peppers diced (any color)
- 1 cup Pineapple diced
- Coat the Chicken Chunks with 1 tablespoon of Cornstarch, Salt, and Pepper.
- Now, dip the Chicken Chunks in Cornstarch and then again in a beaten Eggs mixture. Deep fry it in hot oil until it gets crispy and golden brown.
- Make the Sweet and Sour Sauce by combining all the ingredients in a mixing jar. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, saute the diced Onions, diced Bell Peppers, and chopped Pineapples. Saute until the veggies tenderize for 3 minutes over low heat.
- Pour the Sweet and Sour Sauce over the veggies and allow it to bubble and thicken.
- Stir in the Crispy fried Chicken. Toss to combine everything.
- Garnish with sesame seeds or green onions and serve.