Salisbury Steak - Perfectly Seasoned Ground Beef Patties are seared and then smothered in a creamy, rich, and velvety brown mushroom gravy. Served over a blanket of creamy mashed potatoes with some sauteed green beans or broccoli this hits all the right spots.
Try this super easy chicken dinner now!
Outrageously Comforting 😍
Salisbury Steak with Creamy Mushroom Gravy is a quick and easy ultimate comfort food that you are gonna LOVE ❤️ Quite close in texture and taste as a Meatloaf this Salisbury Steak is gonna blow your mind.
A long time ago when I had just moved to the US a friend of mine took me to a place that supposedly served Salisbury steak.
I had no clue what it was and how it would taste.
(PS) I know what you might be thinking...
It was so good that I got impressed and thought about making it at home.
But, no. Nothing of that sorts ever happened.
In fact, the salisbury steak was awful. It was totally uncooked and the brown gravy was disgusting.
I walked out of the place eating absolutely nothing. Told my friend to never come here again.
But, one good thing happened that night.
I realized how good Salisbury Steak can be. You know that saying - "The Deeper the Hate the Deeper the Love".
Something like that happened with me.
I came home and next morning the first thing that I did was learn how to make Salisbury Steak.
It took me few rounds of failed attempts to actually perfect the recipe.
I was so proud of myself. In fact, I still am. It's a pleasure to create a recipe from scratch.
What does the term Salisbury steak mean?
Basically Salisbury Steak is nothing but juicy tenderized ground beef seasoned with spices, formed into patties, and deep fried until lightly golden brown in a couple of tablespoons of butter.
- Try this super easy chicken dinner now!
- Outrageously Comforting 😍
- What does the term Salisbury steak mean?
- Salisbury Steak Ingredients
- How to Make Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipe
- What to Serve with Salisbury Steak?
- FAQs to make the best salisbury steak recipe
- Secret Tips that I rarely share
- More Recipes
- Salisbury Steak
Salisbury Steak Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make Salisbury Steak from scratch.
- ground beef - I prefer 85/15 blend
- grated garlic
- freshly ground black pepper - for that hint of heat.
- dry mustard - Mustard brings in a slight kick and lots of energy into the patties.
- tomato ketchup - ketchup makes the patties juicy and tangy.
- sriracha - I like to add some Sriracha for that depth of flavor.
- worcestershire sauce - Adds umami flavor into the patties.
- dark soy sauce - rich dark soy sauce makes the patties taste so good.
- panko breadcrumbs - Brings in the patties together.
- italian seasoning
- 1 large egg beaten
- cayenne pepper
For Brown Gravy
- mushrooms sliced
- yellow onions diced
- salt as per taste
- dried thyme
- tomato ketchup
- Worcestershire sauce
- best quality beef broth
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipe
Step 1: Combine Ingredients for Steaks
Take a large bowl and mix together all the ingredients for the patties until combined. I like to use my hands to combine everything. But you can use a spoon or you can use the help of your kids to mix everything until combined.
Wrap the patty mixture with a plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight for at least 4 hours.
Step 2: Cook Beef Patties
Remove from refrigerator and shape them in the form of an oval patty about 1/2 inch thick.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add beef patties and cook until golden brown. Cook each side for about 3 minutes until they get a golden crust. Reduce the heat if they are browning too fast. Transfer it to a plate. Flip over and cook the other side as well.
Remove from skillet and set aside.
Step 3: Make the Brown Gravy
- In the same skillet where you browned the beef patties add in about 3-4 tablespoons of butter. I know it sounds like a lot of butter. But this brown gravy is supposed to be buttery.
- Add in diced yellow onions and sliced mushrooms. Add in salt as per taste. Cook on medium high heat until mushrooms are browned. This is a time-consuming process and it takes a lot of patience.
- Therefore, be patient and allow mushroom and onions to cook. They'll release moisture. And, then, cook them further until it turns light brown and finally golden brown.
- Add in all purpose flour and cook until the onion and mushroom mixture becomes dry. You have to combine all purpose flour with the mushroom mixture. There should be no trace of raw flour in the skillet.
- Add dried thyme, tomato ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce, and best quality beef broth.
Step 4: Place seared beef patties in the brown gravy
Place the beef patties in the brown gravy. Partially cover for 30-35 minutes and cook on low until the beef gets cooked on the inside. Make sure you flip the beef patties in between just to get the other side soak in all the goodness of the brown gravy.
Finally, just garnish your old fashioned salisbury steak recipe with finely chopped parsley and serve with creamy mashed potatoes on the side of some sautèed green beans and of course an old TV Show.
What to Serve with Salisbury Steak?
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts or Roasted Asparagus or Roasted Butternut Squash
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Egg and Potato Casserole
FAQs to make the best salisbury steak recipe
Where did the Salisbury steak come from?
Salisbury Steak Originated in the United States. James Henry Salisbury is the man who invented Salisbury Steak. This man introduced Salisbury Steak in America in the year 1888 (that's almost 134 years from today i.e. 2022)
What state did Salisbury originate?
Salisbury originate from the American state of Missouri in the year 1888.
What is the difference between a hamburger steak and a Salisbury steak?
Although the preparation is almost same. But, there the basic difference between the two is the taste.
Salisbury Steak contains more binding agents like eggs, breadcrumbs, and etc. But Hamburger steaks contains beef, the basic sauces, and the seasonings. Don't miss these - Vegan Hamburgers (Unbelievably Good)
What kind of meat is Salisbury steak made of?
Salisbury Steak is made of lean ground beef. I generally prefer 85/15 blend of ground beef.
What is the difference between Salisbury steak and meatloaf?
This is one of the most easiest questions. Salisbury steak is different from meatloaf in terms of the way it looks. One looks like a loaf hence the name meatloaf. And the other one looks like a steak, and therefore is called Salisbury Steak.
You can store this Salisbury Steak mushroom gravy in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Or if you want to make it ahead of time then sear the beef patties, cool them down, and save it wrapped in a plastic wrap for future. It can be stored for at least 2-months.
Secret Tips that I rarely share
- The secret to a tasty Salisbury steak is cooking the steak in mushroom sauce for a couple of minutes before serving.
- The size of beef patties doesn't matter. You can make them thick or thin as you like.
- This is a secret that I've never shared with anyone. Always use the same skillet where you browned the patties to make the brown gravy. It's rich and full of flavor that you want in your brown gravy.
- Be very patient when cooking mushrooms.
- You don't want to make the mushrooms and onions crispy and dark brown. They should be light golden brown.
- Leave mushrooms in a plain single layer in the skillet for a few minutes so that they get cooked perfectly.
- 1 lbs ground beef 85/15 blend
- ½ teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
For Brown Gravy
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onions diced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- salt as per taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Place all ingredients for patties in a large mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash everything together.
- Wrap the mixture with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove refrigerated patty mixture from the fridge. Peel off the plastic wrap. Moisten your hands with water.
- Take one quarter of the mixture and form into a patty about ½-inch or ¾-inch thick. Give it an oval shape or a circular shape or a square shape or a triangular shape or any other shape that you like.
- Place the patties on a plate. Season both sides with a generous amount of salt (if desired or if your brown gravy is not salty enough)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over high heat.
- Place the patties in the skillet over medium high heat. Don't overcrowd the pan.
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Making Brown Gravy
- Melt butter in the same skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms and about ½ cup of diced yellow onions. Add in salt as per taste. Cook until they turn into a rich dark brown color stirring occasionally.
- Stir in a tablespoon of flour and cook until the rawness of flour goes away.
- Stir in a teaspoon tomato ketchup, and a teaspoon of worcestershire sauce, and about 3 cups of best quality low sodium beef broth over high heat. Sprinkle some dried thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Place the salisbury steaks in the brown gravy. Use a spoon to baste the salisbury steaks with the creamy mushroom sauce.
- Partially cover with a lid and cook on low for 30-35 minutes, flipping midway so that both sides cook completely. Serve on the side of creamy garlic mashed potatoes and sauteéd green beans.