Homemade Peri Peri Chicken and Rice is the best Chicken and Rice recipe you'll ever try. Ever since, I've started this healthy low-carb diet, I've been making these easy low-carb chicken dinners almost every single day.
And this High Protein Chicken and Rice recipe has been on my repertoire for a really long time. Finally, I gave this a try. And my family went head over heels for this easy, healthy, low-carb chicken recipe.
230 calories per serving with 54% protein (27g) and 6% carbs (18g), this recipe for chicken and rice cannot be missed.
This recipe for healthy chicken and rice is even close to my heart because I've used my homemade peri-peri sauce to make this recipe. I had used peri peri sauce to make Vegan Kebabs earlier and the recipe was an instant hit.
Chicken and rice recipe for gym goers
Gym goers, athletes, and all of us, who know that chicken breast and rice is the easiest and best source of protein, look for such easy chicken and rice recipes every single day.
I being a food blogger think its my job to nourish you guys with such healthy chicken and rice recipe for weight loss.
Here are some of my favorite chicken and rice recipes which you can try:
- The Best Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Crockpot Parmesan Chicken and Rice
- Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
- Keto Cauliflower Rice and Chicken Casserole
Meal prep Chicken and Rice Recipe
This healthy chicken and rice recipe is simply brilliant for meal prep. Just prepare the rice and chicken breast as per the recipe.
Pack it in sturdy meal prep boxes. Cover and refrigerate for 4 days.
To reheat, microwave on high for 2 minutes or until heated through.
What is Peri Peri Chicken?
Peri Peri Chicken is typically a spicy and flavorful chicken recipe where chicken is tossed in African Peri Sauce and cooked or baked or air fried. Peri Peri is a spicy hot sauce from South Africa. If you love South Africa Peri Peri Chicken, this recipe will make you the happiest.
How to Make Peri Peri Chicken and Rice
High Protein Low Carb Chicken and Rice is the easiest and the Best Chicken and Rice you'll ever make.
STEP 1: SEASON CHICKEN BREASTS
First, your chicken breasts with Oregano, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Pepper, Peri Peri Sauce (homemade or store-bought), and Red wine Vinegar. Mix well until the chicken is completely coated.
STEP 2: COOK CHICKEN for 5-MINUTES ON EACH SIDE
Add unsalted butter to a pan and cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Set aside.
STEP 3: COOK ONIONS, BELL PEPPERS, and BASMATI RICE
In the same pan, add chopped onions and chopped bell peppers. Cook this for a minute. Add smoked paprika, chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Mix well. Add tomato paste and washed uncooked basmati rice.
Toast the rice for a minute or two. Add water, mix, and bring to a slow boil. Cover with a glass lid and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the rice is fully cooked.
STEP 4: ADD CHICKEN and GARNISH WITH PARSLEY/CILANTRO
Add cooked chicken chopped lengthwise. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and some more Peri Peri sauce. And enjoy.
NOTE: You can make Peri Peri Chicken with any cut of chicken you have at home.
Chicken legs or bone-in or boneless Chicken Thighs or Boneless Chicken Breasts, or Chicken wings. In fact you can use whole chicken as well!
Homemade Nando's Peri Peri Sauce (African Piri Piri Sauce)
Homemade Nando's Peri Peri Sauce or African Peri Peri is a pretty easy recipe. All you need are these ingredients.
- Red Chili Peppers (ideally African birds eye peppers are used, however you can use any variety of Red Chili Peppers you have at home or find in the store nearest to you) (you CAN USE red bell peppers or red pepper flakes as well)
- Garlic cloves - minced
- Fresh Basil and Cilantro - chopped
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice - juice from 1 Lemon
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt to taste
Simply blend all the ingredients until you get a thick and creamy Peri Peri Sauce.
You can store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto a year or even longer.
Why is it called Peri Peri?
Piri Piri is actually a Swahili word which means Peppers Peppers. Peri Peri comes from Mozambique, Africa. It is also called as Pili Pili or Peri Peri.
At its core Peri Peri Sauce is a sauce of hot red peppers and garlic. Oil acts like an emulsifier and Lemon Juice adds acidity to the sauce. You can read more about the History of African Peri Peri here.
What should I serve with Peri Peri Chicken?
This Peri Peri Chicken and Rice is a wholesome one pot chicken and rice dinner recipe in itself. However if you want you can serve with some side salad or steamed veggies.
Also try these one pot Chicken and Rice dinner recipes
I hope you liked this recipe for Peri Peri Chicken and Rice. If you happen to make this recipe, please take a moment to comment below as to how you liked this recipe. Happy Cooking...!
Peri Peri Chicken and Rice
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons peri peri sauce use homemade or Nando's Medium Peri Peri sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- ¾ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ salt or as per taste
- 3½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 120 grams basmati rice washed and uncooked
- 1 cup water
- chopped parsley OPTIONAL GARNISH (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon peri peri sauce OPTIONAL
- Season Chicken Breasts with Oregano, Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, peri-peri sauce, and red wine vinegar. Mix well until the chicken is evenly coated on both sides.
- Add unsalted butter to a skillet and place chicken breasts. Cook on medium-high for 5 minutes on both sides or until golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same pan, add chopped onions and chopped bell peppers. Add smoked paprika, chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and uncooked basmati rice. Toast the rice on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add 250ml or 1 US CUP of water. Cover with a glass lid. Simmer for 8-9 minutes until the rice is done.
- Turn off the heat. Add chicken breasts (cut into thin slices). Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and some more peri peri sauce. (optional)