Maple Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup is a healthy, easy, and delicious dessert that will get you tons of compliment.
Unlike Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie, this recipe for Maple Pecan Pie contains No Corn Syrup.
I know what you are thinking? 💭🤔 Can you make pecan pie without corn syrup?
Yes. You can make Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup.
Not interested in making a pie? Try Super Fudgy Pecan Pie Brownies😋
If you are looking for an easy Pecan Pie Recipe where all you have to do is pour the filling in the crust, get it baked and voila your Pie is ready, then this is it.
This recipe for Pecan Pie is probably the easiest Pie I have made until now. And, don't get me wrong. I have tried so many pies in the past.
- Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Pie
- Classic Apple Pie
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- Cherry Pie recipe from scratch
- Lemon Chiffon Pie
- What is a Substitute for Corn Syrup
- Instructions - How to Make Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup?
- Can you make Pecan Pie without eggs
- Can I use Honey instead of Corn Syrup in Pecan Pie
- Why is my Pecan Pie runny?
- How can you tell when Pecan Pie is done?
- What happens if you overcook pecan pie?
- Should you toast pecans before baking?
- How to Store Maple Pecan Pie
- Can I Freeze Pecan Pie
- Can I Make Pecan Pie Ahead of time?
- Top tips to make Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup
- More Pie Recipes
- Maple Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup
What is a Substitute for Corn Syrup
Before we know the substitute for corn syrup, we should know-
What is corn syrup?
Basically Corn syrup is a sugar syrup made from the starch of corn. 🌽 The corn syrup that you get in the market is basically HFCS meaning High Fructose Corn Syrup. I learnt about Corn Syrup from this interesting article by Cooking Light.
You must have heard many people saying - Corn syrup worse than sugar. But why?
This is simply because High Fructose Corn Syrup have negative health effects on nutrition and overall health.
Why Is Corn Syrup used in Pecan Pie?
- Corn Syrup acts a sweetener for pie 🧑🍳🥧
- Prevents the crystallization of sugar during baking.
- Prevents your pecan pie from tasting grainy. Give your pie a smooth taste.
What can you use instead of corn syrup in pecan pie
Corn Syrup can be replace with All Purpose Flour and Pure Maple Syrup. I do not recommend any other replacement of corn syrup especially when you are making Pecan Pie.
So, Basically, 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour + 1 cup Pure Maple Syrup is the best possible replacement for Corn Syrup. Why?
Because what corn syrup does is act as a glue that holds the entire pecan pie filling together. It also prevents crystallization of sugar during baking.
When you use flour it works in the same way adding structure to the pie and holding everything together. Moreover Pure Maple Syrup acts as a natural sweetener for your Pecan Pie.
For Pie Crust
- Homemade Buttery Pie Crust
- Egg Wash
For Pecan Pie Filling
- Pecan Nuts
- Melted unsalted butter
- light or dark brown sugar
- All Purpose Flour
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Sea Salt
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whipped Cream topping
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions - How to Make Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup?
- Step 1: Prepare the Pie Dough
Follow the instructions in the recipe linked above to make the best buttery, flaky homemade Pie dough.
- Step 2: Roll the Dough
Roll the dough into a 14-inch diameter. Wrap it in your rolling pin and drape it on your pie dish. Tuck the dough in the deep dish. Flute the edges. Brush the edges with egg wash.
- Step 3: Chill the dough
Refrigerate or Freeze the Pie crust for at least 20-30 minutes. Then line the pie crust with a parchment paper. Fill it in with pie weights or beans.
- Step 4: Blind Bake Dough
Blind Bake or Pre Bake your Pie Crust for 15-minutes at 350 degrees F in a preheated oven.
- Step 5: Make Pecan Pie filling
In a glass pyrex measuring jar combine melted unsalted butter, light or dark brown sugar, all purpose flour, Pure Maple Syrup, Eggs, Sea Salt, Pure Vanilla Extract, and Pecan nuts. Whisk well.
- Step 6: Add Pecan Nuts to Warm Pie Crust
Add Pecan Nuts into the warm pie crust and spread it out.
- Step 7: Pour Pecan Pie Filling into Pre-baked Pie Crust
Pour Pecan Pie filling into pre-baked Pie crust. Bake your Pecan Pie in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.
- Step 8: Cool Down and Slice
Allow your Pecan Pie to cool down completely for 3-4 hours. Add whipped cream on top and then slice the pie to serve.
Can you make Pecan Pie without eggs
Are you looking for Vegan Pecan Pie recipe? Are you thinking of making Pecan Pie without corn syrup or eggs? Well, there is a solution for you.
You can replace eggs with Flaxseed Meal and make your Vegan Pecan Pie. But, you need to simmer your Vegan Pecan Pie filling to activate the flax egg. See this recipe from The Conscious Plant Kitchen and learn how to make Vegan and Gluten Free Pecan Pie from scratch.
Can I use Honey instead of Corn Syrup in Pecan Pie
Yes honey is a replacement for corn syrup. But, No you cannot replace honey for corn syrup in a pecan pie. Why?
Honey just like sugar crystallizes under heat. Therefore your Pecan pie with honey will taste grainy.
Therefore I do not recommend substituting Honey for Corn Syrup especially when you are making Pecan Pie.
Why is my Pecan Pie runny?
Your Pecan Pie will be runny if you haven't baked your Pie long enough. Typically, a Pecan Pie is supposed to be baked for 40-50 minutes in a 350 degrees F preheated oven.
How can you tell when Pecan Pie is done?
You'll know your Pecan Pie is done when you take out your pie and shake it lightly. If the center is jiggly and the sides are set then your Pecan Pie is perfectly done. You need not bake it any longer.
What happens if you overcook pecan pie?
When you overcook Pecan Pie the crust gets burnt and the filling gets cracked on top. This has happened with me so many times.
If this was Pumpkin Pie then there would be no problem because Pumpkin Pie Filling has Pumpkin Puree in it which holds the structure and shape of the pie.
Should you toast pecans before baking?
Yes. This is a great idea. You can definitely toast your pecan nuts in the oven or in a skillet over high heat until it gets a toasty and nutty taste.
This will further improve the overall taste of your Pie and make it so much better.
How to Store Maple Pecan Pie
I am sure you will have leftovers if you are making this for yourself or on some other day than Thanksgiving.
No worries. There is way you can store your pecan pie.
You can store this pie for 2-3 days at room temperature. You can store this in the refrigerator for at least 1-week.
Can I Freeze Pecan Pie
Yes. Baked Pecan Pie freezes well for at least 3-months but make sure that it is tightly wrapped in at least 2-3 layers of plastic or aluminium foil.
Thaw your Pecan Pie in the refrigerator overnight and allow the pie to come to room temperature before you serve it to your guests.
Can I Make Pecan Pie Ahead of time?
Yes. Pecan Pie can be made ahead of time. You can prepare the pie crust and wrap it in plastic. Freeze for 2-3 months.
Can I make Pecan Pie filling ahead of time
You can pour the filling into the pre-baked pie crust and then freeze for at least 3 hours so that the filling sets. Finally wrap the pie with a plastic or an aluminium foil and freeze it for at least 1-month.
When you are ready to bake remove the pie from the freezer and unwrap the plastic or aluminium foil. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for at least 20-minutes longer.
Top tips to make Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup
- Chill the dough Pie Crust before blind baking - Before you blind bake your pie crust, you must chill the dough in the freezer or refrigerator for at least 20-minutes.
- Measure your Ingredients - Baking is science. And therefore it is supremely important that you measure your ingredients and use just as much as mentioned in the recipe card for best results.
- Blind Bake your Pie Crust - Have you ever tasted a soggy pie crust? Well, that is what happens if you don't pre-bake or blind bake your pie crust.
- Cover your Pie with an aluminium foil - you must have seen big chefs doing so probably in some cook shows. Basically, this is the trick that prevents your pie from getting over-browned.
- Cool Down Pie Completely before serving - There cannot be anything more important than this. I know it sounds insane and ridiculous. But, it is true. Make sure you cool down your pie completely before serving.
More Pie Recipes
- Peach Pie with Crumb Topping
- Easy Banoffee Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Chess Pie
- New York-Style Apple Crumb Pie
Maple Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup
- Buttery Homemade Pie Crust
- Egg wash 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon milk or water
- 3 cups Pecan Nuts halved
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 large Eggs at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whipped Cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C
Make Crust and Blind Bake
- Follow the Instructions and prepare your Pie Dough. Flour your surface and roll the dough into a 14-inch diameter. Wrap the dough onto rolling pin and drape it on your pie dish. Flute the edges. Brush the edges with egg wash. Refrigerate or Freeze the dough for 20-minutes. Line the chilled pie crust with a brown parchment paper. Fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-minutes. Remove pie from oven. Carefully remove the parchment paper and pie weights from the pie.
Make the filling
- In a glass pyrex measuring jar combine pecan nuts, unsalted butter, light or dark brown sugar, All Purpose Flour, Pure Maple Syrup, Beaten Eggs, Sea Salt, and Pure Vanilla Extract. Whisk well using a balloon whisk.
- Spread pecan nuts in the warm pie crust. Pour the filling mixture over evenly over the pecan nuts.
- Bake your Maple Pecan Pie for 40-50 minutes or until the center is set. Remove pie from the oven. Allow it to cool down completely for at least 3 hours before cutting it into slices and serving. Serve with whipped cream on top.