Irish Flag Veggie Tray - Easiest Irish Vegetarian Starter. A recipe that's equally traditional and festive. There are so many veggie tray ideas. And they make for an amazing Irish vegetarian starters. Also, check out my Leprechaun Veggie tray recipe. This easy Irish flag veggie tray makes up for a cold irish appetizer that you can serve with my secret sauce!
Irish Vegetarian Starters
Hmm... What does the name tell you? Is it going to be a flag? Or a Tray with veggies looking like the Irish flag? Well, you are right my friend. This is simply a veggie tray looking like an Irish flag. Now I think you know from the title of this blog, that this is made for St. Patrick's Day.
Irish Flag Veggie Tray for St. Patricks Day
To make this Irish Flag veggie tray I have used just three ingredients - carrots, cauliflower, and beans. This veggie tray is also called finger salad. These are pretty common St. Patrick's Day Appetizers. I have served this with a lip-smacking dip which I have talked about later in this article.
Cold Irish Appetizers
The idea of making this Irish flag veggie tray is to make my St. Patricks Day Party a bit more traditional. Since this is an Irish holiday, I thought why not use my veggies to make a combination of traditional and innovative for my guests? Hence, the idea of this Irish Flag made of veggies hit me!
What I like about this recipe is that I can make these just 30 minutes before the party. And, its a less mess kind of a recipe. All I had to do was chop my veggies.
But, I highly suggest that you do not cut your veggies way before time. This will make them go black and they'll lose their freshness.
Hence, a suggestion would be to chop your veggies just 30 minutes before the party or 45 minutes if you stress about lacking time like me.
- Green Beans
- Freshly squeezed Lime Juice
- Red Pepper Flakes
Dip for serving (Optional)
- Garlic Mayonnaise
- Cream Cheese
- Herb Butter
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Freshly Grounded Black Pepper
How to Make Irish St Patrick's Day Veggie Tray
- STEP 1: CUT THE VEGGIES
Thinly Slice carrots, and open up the cauliflower florets. Eliminate the stem and top of green beans.
- STEP 2: Steam the Veggies
In a large stockpot bring about 1-inch of water to a simmer. Place a steamer basket over the stockpot. Place the veggies. Cook each veggie separately for the given amount of time. Or you can place all of them directly onto the steamer. And cook them for the recommended amount of time.
- Cauliflower - (florets) - 6 to 8 minutes
- Green Beans - 5 to 7 minutes.
- Carrots - 2-inch long and 1-inch thick - 8 to 10-minutes
You can use a pair of kitchen tongs to remove cauliflower and green beans at almost the same time. Then, simply wait for another 2-minutes and then remove the carrots.
- STEP 3: Season the veggies
Pat dry the veggies using a kitchen towel. Season the veggies with freshly squeezed lime juice, oregano, and red pepper flakes. It will make them taste fresh, flavorful and succulent.
HINT: keep in mind to not sprinkle salt over the veggies as it will soak up the moisture of your veggies and eventually dry them out. If you need any seasoning, then use chili flakes along with Oregano.
What to serve with Irish Flag Veggie Tray
I prefer making a garlic-mayo dip. Alternatively you can serve with Ranch Dressing or Homemade Hoisin Sauce or Peanut Sauce or Homemade Hot Sauce or Velveeta Sausage Dip or Shrimp Dip or Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip or Beer Cheese Dip or Avocado Crema
- Green Bell Pepper - Replace green beans with diced green bell pepper.
- White Onions - Instead of green beans you can use diced white onions.
- Acorn Squash or Orange Bell Pepper or Pumpkin - You can use any of these three to make the orange color for your Irish veggie tray.
More St. patricks Day recipes:
- Mint Oreo Parfait - St. Patrick's Day Mint Parfaits
- Green Recipes for St. Patrick's Day
- Festive St Patrick's Day Desserts you MUST Make this Year
- St Patrick's Day Appetizers Recipes
- St Patrick's Day Food Ideas to Welcome Good Luck
Irish Flag Veggie Tray
- 2 lb medium carrots cut lengthwise 2-inch long and 1-inch wide
- 1 medium-head Cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 lb Green Beans
- ¼ cup Lime Juice
- 2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flakes
Garlic Mayo Dip (optional)
- 3 tablespoon Garlic Mayonnaise
- ½ Block Cream Cheese
- 3 tablespoon Herb Butter
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Pinch Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt optional
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Grounded Black Pepper optional
Prepare the veggies
- Prepare the veggies as per the instructions. Use alternatives (mentioned on the blog) if you want to use some other veggie.
Steam the Veggies
- In a large stockpot bring 1-inch of water to a simmer. Place a steamer basket over the stockpot. Place the veggies. Cover with a lid. Cook as per the recommended amount of time.
- Pat them dry using kitchen towels.
Season the veggies
- Season the veggies with freshly squeezed lime juice, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
Make the irish Veggie tray
- Arrange the veggies in the form of an irish flag. Serve with your choice of dip.
Make Garlic Mayo Dip (optional)
- Combine the ingredients for garlic mayo dip and serve with Irish flag veggie tray.