Smooth, Creamy and Fingerlickin' good, Hummus is a favorite appetizer recipe. Be it for Christmas or Super Bowl or just a weekend fun, Homemade Hummus makes for the perfect dip along with Pita Chips or Veggies.
If you are looking for a healthy dip then hummus should be your one-stop goal.
Homemade Hummus Recipe
Homemade hummus is more nutritious, less expensive and far tastier than any store-bought hummus
Even though market-bought hummus is plenty good, they still have the freshness missing.
Something which you can get easily with my Homemade Hummus recipe!
Hummus is a wonderful appetizer or snack, that packs quite a bit of protein.
Homemade hummus is a light and healthy dip that’s perfect for summer entertaining. This recipe takes less than 30 minutes and makes 6 cups of hummus.
If you are in believe that Hummus is an exotic Middle Eastern dish that you possibly cannot make, then you need this recipe!
Loaded with fiber, fiber, protein and a number of vitamins and minerals, the chickpea boasts myriad health benefits.
I'll make hummus so easy for you that you'll never want to buy it from anywhere else. You will want to make Hummus for all your parties! Guaranteed!!!
Homemade Hummus Recipe
This classic Lebanese dip is made with mashed chickpeas, garlic and olive oil. All the components can be arranged on a small serving dish and eaten with pita wedges. This tasty recipe uses Chickpeas, Tahini, Cumin, Garlic, and Lemon juice to make a dip that is good for appetizers.
This tasty recipe uses Chickpeas. Tahini, Paprika, Cumin, Garlic, and Lemon juice to make a dip that is good for appetizers
- Homemade Hummus Recipe
- Homemade Hummus Recipe
- What is Hummus?
- My Magical Trick for Smooth Hummus
- 1. Chickpeas
- 2. Baking Soda
- 3. Aquafaba or Ice Cold Water
- 4. Sumac
- 5. Tahini
- The List Of Ingredients For The World's Best Homemade Hummus Recipe
- How to Make the World's Best Homemade Hummus Recipe (A detailed guide)
- STEP 1: BLEND TAHINI & LEMON JUICE
- STEP 2: BLEND THE CHICKPEAS
- STEP 3: SERVE
- Hummus Garnish Ideas
- What is Hummus served with?
- Hummus Variations
- How to store Hummus easily
- How is Hummus Traditionally eaten?
- Tips to make the Best homemade Hummus
- What is Hummus Made of?
- What does Hummus taste like?
- Is hummus good for losing weight?
- Is Hummus very fattening?
- What can we eat with Hummus?
- How to Make Your Favorite Hummus Recipe
What is Hummus?
Hummus has been a staple of middle eastern cuisine since the times of the pharaohs.
Hummus is a traditional Middle Eastern savory dip that has taken the world by storm with its health benefits and great taste.
Hummus basically consists of Chickpeas, Tahini, and Olive oil. You can go ahead and make your own additions to these base three ingredients as well.
Make a garlicky hummus or a spicy one, it is your choice! At the end of the day, hummus is a great tasting and healthy dip that you should definitely make at your home.
My Magical Trick for Smooth Hummus
Hummus is known for its ultra creamy and smooth texture. Here are some of my favorite ingredients which I always use for making Hummus.
Chickpeas are the backbone of Hummus, so you cannot skip it. It is also incredibly healthy and packed with fiber and protein. You can use either Canned Chickpeas or home-cooked ones.
My trick is to use cooked Chickpeas. Learn how to soak and cook dried Chickpeas from scratch here.
Also, if you're using Canned Chickpeas, its mostly soft and partially cooked. But I use a secret method to make them extra soft! Yes, its Baking Soda.
2. Baking Soda
Just a pinch of Baking Soda and water. I boil my Chickpeas in the oven for about 5-10 minutes and they get even softer and delicious.
3. Aquafaba or Ice Cold Water
This is the liquid you get from Canned beans. You can easily get it from canned chickpeas. Will give your hummus a more Beany taste. Also, if you are using dried Chickpeas, then use Cold water.
A must-have spice in Middle Eastern cuisine. It has a tangy and citrusy taste to it, which will go great with your hummus. However, don't stress if you donot have it. You can replace it with Smoked Paprika and Ground Cumin.
Tahini is basically Sesame Seeds paste. Its so easily available today. However you can easily make Tahini at home.
To make Tahini you need just three ingredients, that is Sesame Seeds, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Salt.
Start off by first toasting the sesame seeds lightly on the pan. This will release the earthy flavors of the sesame seeds and add a hint of smokiness to it.
Next, add your toasted sesame seeds to a blender and start blending them.
Now, slowly start drizzling in the olive oil. Don't put the oil all at once or your Tahini won't come out smooth. Do this process until your Tahini reaches a smooth consistency.
Your Tahini is now done and ready to be used in the hummus!
The List Of Ingredients For The World's Best Homemade Hummus Recipe
1. Chickpeas - You can use dried or canned Chickpeas
2. Fresh lemon juice - About 1-2 large Lemons
3. Tahini - gives the deep flavor and taste to hummus. Can replace with creamy Peanut butter or Cashew Butter.
4. Garlic cloves - Helps build the flavors
5. Extra virgin olive oil - Helps flavor the Hummus
6. Ground cumin - Gives a nice earthy taste to the Hummus
7. Kosher salt - to season the Hummus
8. Water or Aquafaba - Helps in achieving the smooth texture of Hummus.
9. Smoked Paprika or Ground Sumac - Builds flavors in the Hummus.
How to Make the World's Best Homemade Hummus Recipe (A detailed guide)
An Approved Test Kitchen Homemade Hummus Recipe.
Learn how to quickly make the Best Homemade Hummus recipe.
This is super creamy, smooth and delicious Hummus recipe with Step by Step Instructions and Recipe.
STEP 1: BLEND TAHINI & LEMON JUICE
- Add Tahini, Garlic Cloves, Lemon Juice and Salt in the food processor. Blend until smooth for 30 seconds at high speed.
- Let it rest for 1-2 minutes and then blend again for 30 seconds. (This will help mellow down the taste of Garlic
STEP 2: BLEND THE CHICKPEAS
- Besides the Tahini, chickpeas are another integral part of the hummus.
- And it is time we add that as well.
- Just make sure your chickpeas are rinsed and washed first. Donot discard the water if you're using canned Chickpeas.
- Then add only half a portion of the Chickpeas and blend it for one minute or until everything has become smooth.
- Then add the rest of the Chickpeas and again give it a spin for about two minutes to smooth everything over.
- Drizzle the Olive Oil in streaming motion while its still blending.
- Add some Ice Cold Water or Aquafaba in between to make the mix smooth and easy to blend.
- Keep blending slowly until your Hummus becomes smooth.
- Taste and check the hummus if it needs more salt or lemon juice. If it does, add them now and blend for 30 seconds.
- Your Hummus is now ready to be served!
STEP 3: SERVE
- Scrape down the creamy Hummus in a dish.
- Use the back of a spoon to swoosh the top.
- Garnish it with a drizzle of Olive Oil and a dash of Smoked Paprika or Sumac before serving it!
- You can also garnish with some freshly chopped Cilantro and Lemon Juice.
Hummus Garnish Ideas
We all love that decorated and beautiful look of Hummus. Its such a delight to look at!
Thinking about what to put on top of Hummus? Here's how to decorate Hummus.
- Smoked Paprika
- Ground Sumac
- Ground Cumin
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cooked Chickpeas
- Kalamata Olives
- Chopped Cilantro
What is Hummus served with?
Hummus is a perfect savory dip which you can serve with anything, from Veggies like Celery or Broccoli or Cauliflower or Carrots to fruits like sliced Apples or Grapes or Pita Chips or Tortilla Chips etc.
- Roasted Garlic - You can roast Garlic with Olive Oil in the oven and then use it to blend in your Hummus for Roasted Garlic Hummus.
- Roasted Red Pepper - Use Roasted Red Pepper to make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
- Pistachios - Use Pistachios and some Basil to make Nutty and delicious Pistachio Hummus.
- Green Goddess Hummus - Make this very green and delicious Green Goddess Hummus using Green Goddess dressing.
How to store Hummus easily
The best part about making Hummus at home is how easy it is to store it.
You can cap your homemade Hummus easily for a week if you just follow this simple method.
All you need to do is keep your Homemade Hummus in an airtight container and store it in your refrigerator.
This way you can keep your hummus fresh for as long as a week.
Whenever you want to have stored Hummus, just take it out of the refrigerator and let it get to room temperature first and then serve.
You can also easily freeze your homemade hummus for any future use.
Just pack the Hummus in a ziplock bag and seal it securely, leaving no air inside.
Then store the zip lock bag in your freezer.
You can expect frozen hummus to last for three months at least.
Whenever you want to use frozen hummus, just make sure to let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then serve.
How is Hummus Traditionally eaten?
Traditionally Hummus is served in a large dish, drizzled with Olive Oil on top.
It is served with Pita Chips. Also sometimes its served with a salad made with Onions, Tomato, and Cucumber or Falafel.
Tips to make the Best homemade Hummus
1. When it comes to chickpeas you can use canned ones or home-cooked ones.
If you want a quick hummus then we suggest you go for the canned ones since they come pre-cooked.
2. Are you a fan of garlic flavor?
Then you should definitely consider increasing the quantity of garlic in the Hummus.
Or even better, you can go for roasted garlic in your hummus instead!
3. Aquafaba is the liquid you get from a can of beans.
It adds a nice beany taste to your hummus.
Just check first if it is salty so you can adjust the salt in hummus accordingly.
4. You can alternatively use market-bought Tahini instead of making your own to save time.
What is Hummus Made of?
Hummus is primarily made of Chickpeas, Tahini, Lemon Juice and Garlic. We add Sumac or Smoked Paprika, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Ground Cumin and Salt to season this dip.
What does Hummus taste like?
Hummus is extremely creamy and smooth. Its got a velvety texture and tastes like a perfectly spiced bean dip.
You will love the taste of Hummus which is bursting with Middle Eastern flavors!
Hummus is not too spicy, its got that hint of garlic flavor and tastes extra good with Lemon juice, Smoked Paprika, Cumin and Tahini!
I especially love how Tahini, simply goes perfectly with Chickpeas, making Homemade Hummus taste so creamy and nutty!!!
Is hummus good for losing weight?
Hummus primarily contains fiber and protein with almost no fat or calories. So yes, if you want to lose weight then hummus should be on top of your food list!
Is Hummus very fattening?
No, Hummus is a healthy appetizer which is perfect to serve with chips or Veggies. Know more about How healthy Hummus is here.
What can we eat with Hummus?
You can have hummus just about any way you want. Use it as a dip, spread, or just eat it straight out of the bowl! Bread and even tortilla chips go great with hummus!
How to Make Your Favorite Hummus Recipe
- 1 15oz Can Chickpeas or 2 cups of cooked Chickpeas
- ¼ cup Tahini
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda onl if you're using canned Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice from 1 to 2 Lemons (more for garnish)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Cold Water
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika or Ground Sumac (to sprinkle on top)
- Add Tahini, Lemon Juice, Garlic Cloves and Salt in the food processor. Pulse until it gets smooth and creamy. Let it rest for 2 minutes and then scrape the sides and pulse again for 30 seconds. This will help mellow down the excessive garlic flavor.
- Add the drained Chickpeas in a large bowl. Cover the Chickpeas with several inches of water. Sprinkle the Baking Soda over it. Toss to combine. Microwave on full power for 5-10 minutes. It will overflow but thats fine. You can also place this mixture in a saucepan and boil over medium high heat for 5 minutes. OR Pressure cook in the Instant Pot for 5 minute and quick release the pressure after it gets cooked. You'll see how soft these get and will smush upon pressing between two fingers.
- Pour the Chickpeas in the food processor, along with Cold water. Add the ground Cumin and pulse again for about a minute. Blend until it gets smooth and creamy. Drizzle the Olive Oil in streaming motion while blending until smooth. If the mixture is still dry and chunky, scrape the sides and add more ice cold water to achieve a creamy texture. Taste and check if its perfectly seasoned. If it needs extra salt and lemon juice, you can add that now and pulse again for 30 seconds.
- Scrape the Hummus in a serving bowl. Use a spoon to swoosh the top. Drizzle Olive Oil on top. Sprinkle some more Ground Cumin and Smoked Paprika on top. Garnish with freshly chopped Cilantro if desired and serve.