Poultry Seasoning Recipe is simply a combination of several herbs that makes it a popular spice blend which is mostly used in Mom's Turkey Stuffing Recipe, Cranberry Pecan Stuffing, Grandma's Sausage Herb Stuffing.
What is Poultry Seasoning?
As the name suggests, poultry seasoning is mainly meant for dishes where you use chicken or turkey. The best way to use poultry seasoning though is to use it in chicken and turkey stuffing.
Now you might ask - what does this poultry seasoning contains that makes it soo good?
Then you should know that the secret lies in its blend.
Poultry seasoning contains herbs like sage, rosemary, and thyme which can give any recipe a feeling of comfort food.
In addition to this, poultry seasoning also contains nutmeg which will make your dish instantly warm and homey!
You also don’t have to be limited to just seasoning stuffing when it comes to using poultry seasoning! Your chicken soups and even your simple vegetarian and vegan soups can use the warm and homey feeling that poultry seasoning will bring to them. You can make a large batch of poultry seasoning and keep it safe on your kitchen’s shelf for six months.
- What is Poultry Seasoning?
- 👨💻Ingredients - What's poultry seasoning made of?
- 👨🍳Instructions - How to make poultry seasoning?
- Uses for Poultry Seasoning
- 👩🎓Is poultry seasoning vegan and gluten free?
- 🧑🍳What can I substitute for poultry seasoning?
- 💁What can I use in place of marjoram?
- 🪴What does marjoram taste like?
- 👨🍳Is chicken seasoning the same as poultry seasoning?
- 🧂Can I use Italian seasoning instead of poultry seasoning?
- 🏪Where can I find poultry seasoning in a grocery store?
- 👅Is poultry seasoning bitter?
- ⛑What are the health benefits of poultry seasoning?
- 💁More Seasonings you can make
- Homemade Poultry Seasoning
👨💻Ingredients - What's poultry seasoning made of?
Wondering What spices does poultry seasoning contain? Well here you go.
- Ground sage
- Ground thyme
- Ground marjoram
- Ground rosemary
- Ground Nutmeg
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
👨🍳Instructions - How to make poultry seasoning?
You don’t need to be a connoisseur of spices to make our poultry seasoning. You also don’t need any special equipment to make this seasoning either.
- Step 1: Combine ingredients in a bowl
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Make sure the bowl is dry.
- Step 2: Store Your Seasoning
Store your seasoning securely in an air-tight container.
Uses for Poultry Seasoning
- Chicken and dumplings soup is the ultimate comfort food. You can make it even comfier for your slow days by adding some poultry seasoning to it!
- You can even use poultry seasoning while making your breakfast sausages! See my recipe for Homemade Breakfast Sausage Seasoning.
- Poultry seasoning is very herby and will give some great flavors to your breakfast sausages. Just imagine what a great combo your homemade breakfast sausages would be with your homemade poultry seasoning!
- Chicken and barley soup is an all-time classic but you have to admit it is a little basic on its own. But with our homemade poultry seasoning, you jazz it up! So next time you get a cold and you are making chicken and barley soup for it, just add some poultry seasoning to clean up your sinuses!
- You can use poultry seasoning for fancier recipes as well! For instance, your homemade seasoning will go great with balsamic chicken and mushrooms! Just imagine the combination of decadent and tender chicken in a rich balsamic sauce with a herby poultry seasoning!
👩🎓Is poultry seasoning vegan and gluten free?
Yes, this poultry seasoning might have the name ‘poultry’ in it but it is completely vegan and free of any gluten! This seasoning contains absolutely no animal products which make it totally safe for vegans! The seasoning also contains no wheat products which makes it safe for all the gluten-conscious people out there. As an added bonus, this seasoning also contains no additives and preservatives, unlike the market ones!
🧑🍳What can I substitute for poultry seasoning?
Sage, Thyme, and Marjoram are the three most important ingredients in Poultry Seasoning. So, if you are looking for a homemade substitute for Poultry Seasoning then you can use 2 teaspoon dried sage along with 1 teaspoon of thyme or marjoram.
💁What can I use in place of marjoram?
Marjoram can be replaced with dried basil and thyme. But, the most popular replacement for Marjoram is dried oregano. Although dried oregano has a bold earthy taste it still manages to tick all the boxes when compared with marjoram.
🪴What does marjoram taste like?
Marjoram has a minty and lightly bitter taste. Quite similar to Oregano in terms of taste. But, honestly, marjoram has more complex flavors. Marjoram is lightly sweet and has a delicate taste. Learn more about Marjoram from this article by Northshore Living
👨🍳Is chicken seasoning the same as poultry seasoning?
Yes. Chicken Seasoning or Poultry Seasoning is the same thing. But, don't confuse ground chicken Bouillon cube with poultry seasoning.
🧂Can I use Italian seasoning instead of poultry seasoning?
Yes. In that case you should try my Homemade Italian Seasoning recipe. Both of them are similar in taste and contains almost same ingredients.
You need marjoram for both italian seasoning and poultry seasoning. Besides that you need all the herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, and oregano.
Only difference - I like to add a pinch of ground nutmeg to add a nutty and earthy taste to my Poultry seasoning recipe.
🏪Where can I find poultry seasoning in a grocery store?
You can easily find poultry seasoning in the spice section of your grocery store. Although, this seasoning is pretty popular during the holiday season but some stores tend to carry it all year long.
👅Is poultry seasoning bitter?
Yes. Poultry Seasoning has a slightly bitter taste because of whole and ground seeds like oregano, thyme, and etc.
But, it's not that bitter.
What you'll love about Poultry seasoning is the aroma of spices and the light herby punch that it adds to your holiday dishes.
⛑What are the health benefits of poultry seasoning?
One thing that I love about Poultry Seasoning is that it is low in sodium. This is not the case with ground chicken Bouillon cubes.
Besides that, Poultry seasoning is an excellent source of dietary fiber, Vitamin A, K, and B6.
It is also an excellent source of copper, Magnesium and Folate.
💁More Seasonings you can make
- Authentic Carne Asada Seasoning
- Homemade Chili Seasoning
- French Fries Seasoning
- Homemade Meatloaf Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Blackened Seasoning
- Homemade Old Bay Seasoning
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- Ranch Seasoning Recipe
Homemade Poultry Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- whisk all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Store in an airtight container or use immediately for your favorite holiday recipe.