Fajitas makes for a perfect weekend dinner, but making it without the premade seasoning can take quite a bit of your time. But do you know there's one thing that can drastically reduce that time and make fajitas super simple to prepare? It's homemade fajitas seasoning! It's easy and simple to make and can be stored away for a long time so that whenever you crave Mexican Fajitas, you have it right at your fingertips. 😋
- 🤔 What is Fajita Seasoning?
- 🥘 Ingredients needed for making Fajita Seasoning
- 📝 How to make Fajita Seasoning?
- 📝 Variations in making Fajita Seasoning
- 🌱 Is Fajita seasoning Vegan and Gluten Friendly?
- 🍯 How to store Fajita seasoning?
- 💯 Tips to make the Best Fajita Seasoning at home
- What is the difference between taco seasoning and fajita seasoning?
- Can I use Taco seasoning for Fajitas?
- How to use Fajita seasoning?
- Can I use Fajita seasoning for Barbeque?
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
🤔 What is Fajita Seasoning?
If you want to understand all about fajitas seasoning then you need to know the actual dish.
Fajitas is a Mexican and Texan fusion food that came to be during the early 1930s. The story behind it is interesting as well!
Back in those days Mexican ranch workers used to work in Western Texas. As a part of payment they were given tougher parts of beef.
But the workers turned this undesirable part of beef around by making it into skirt beef.
They would then roast it, season it with a mix of different spices, roll it up in a soft tortilla, and have it as their meal. And that's how Fajitas and it's special seasoning were born!
Fajita seasoning is primarily Mexican in origin, so you can expect it to have a wide range of hot flavours in it.
But it's also not so spicy that you'll need to rush for a glass of water.
Fajita seasoning is also very versatile, and can be used for many recipes outside of just fajitas!
Try my absolutely delicious Fajita recipes
🥘 Ingredients needed for making Fajita Seasoning
The ingredients list for fajita seasoning is both small and easy to get. They are also very affordable for any individual's budget.
With all these perks, you are left with no excuse to go buy these ingredients immediately for your homemade Fajita seasoning!
1. Chili powder
This will give your fajita seasoning a nice level of heat and spice. There are many kinds of chilli powders available in the stores, ranging from mild to moderate to extra hot. You can buy whichever one fits your taste preferences.
Paprika is added to a seasoning not just for its heat but also for its beautiful red colour.
You also have the option to pick between different varieties of paprika which includes the regular paprika, smoked paprika and sweet paprika.
We recommend the latter one for its more complex range of flavours, but you can choose whichever one fits you the best.
3. Ground Cumin
Cumin is an important ingredient in Mexican cuisine. It is known for its grounded earthy taste which combines perfectly in your fajita seasoning.
4. Garlic powder
Everyone loves garlic flavour, and it's especially great in your fajita seasoning.
5. Onion powder
Onion powder is milder compared to fresh onions and will definitely not make you cry. But it has enough savoury and sweet flavour to make your fajita seasoning taste great!
6. Dried Oregano
Use dried Oregano specifically and not oregano powder. Dried Oregano has a milder herby taste which will not overpower your fajita seasoning. It will also give a good diversity of texture in your seasoning.
7. Cayenne pepper
Fajita seasoning is supposed to be really spicy, and just having chilli powder and paprika won't be enough.
Adding a just pinch of Cayenne pepper will make sure your seasoning lives upto to its spicy reputation!
If you want to balance all the previous spiciness, adding a small amount of sugar will do that. It will also give your fajita seasoning a complex flavour profile of sweet and spicy flavours.
9. Kosher Salt
Kosher salt has larger granules which makes it easier to grab it and sprinkle over your seasoning. You can never do a wrong measurement with Kosher salt. It will also do a better job of balancing your fajita seasoning then regular table salt!
📝 How to make Fajita Seasoning?
Making fajita seasoning is super easy and it shouldn't take more than five minutes. All you'll need is a mixing bowl and a spoon.
1. Get a small mixing bowl and a spoon. Then combine all the ingredients.
2. Make sure the bowl and spoon are completely dry and have no moisture on it as it can spoil your seasoning.
3. Keep mixing all your ingredients together in the bowl with your spoon until everything combines through and is even and uniform.
4. Your fajita seasoning is now ready! Store it away carefully for future use!
📝 Variations in making Fajita Seasoning
You can do a lot of variations and adjustments to your fajita seasoning according to your liking. We'll suggest some top variations for your seasoning!
Cornstarch for Meat: If you plan to use fajita seasoning on meat then you can add a small amount of cornstarch to it.
This will make sure that your seasoning will stick onto the meat and flavor it properly.
Smoked Paprika: If you want your fajita seasoning to have a smoky flavour to it then go for smoked paprika.
Ground Chicken Bouillon Cubes: If you are looking to make your fajita seasoning more flavourful then simply add ground chicken bouillon cubes.
It will also help in balancing out the heat level of your seasoning.
🌱 Is Fajita seasoning Vegan and Gluten Friendly?
YES, this recipe of fajita seasoning is absolutely vegan and gluten free if you make no variations and adjustments to it.
This makes your fajita seasoning a healthy addition for any recipe!
🍯 How to store Fajita seasoning?
Fajita seasoning should always be packed in an airtight container, preferably a small glass jar.
Make sure you keep it in a dry and cool place like a closed cupboard or your spice rack.
This way you can expect your fajita seasoning to last three months easily.
💯 Tips to make the Best Fajita Seasoning at home
1. Feel free to make your own adjustments to the fajita seasoning if you think something is not tasting right. Make sure you write these changes down so that you can remember them for the next time.
2. Adding a bit of cornstarch to your fajita seasoning will make it even better for your soups and meat dishes.
3. Make sure you taste test your fajita in between it's preparation to make sure the salt is right.
4. You can make a small addition of ground chicken bouillon cube to make your fajita seasoning taste more balanced and flavorful.
What is the difference between taco seasoning and fajita seasoning?
Both the seasonings are very similar in their composition and making process. The only difference is that taco seasoning will have more herbs and spices in it.
Can I use Taco seasoning for Fajitas?
If you don't have fajita seasoning on hand then taco seasoning is the next best option for your Fajitas.
How to use Fajita seasoning?
You can use Fajita seasoning for a variety of recipes and not just for the Mexican ones.
Can I use Fajita seasoning for Barbeque?
If you want your barbeque to be spicy then fajita seasoning will make for a great addition!
Pair it up with a sweet barbeque sauce and you'll have a great combination together.
You can even use fajita seasoning for grilled vegetables as well!
More Seasoning recipes
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
- Ranch Seasoning Recipe
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Recipe
- Best Homemade Blackened Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika smoked or sweet
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl until evenly combined though.
- Store in a clean and dry glass spice jar. Use as per requirement in any recipe