This is also easy enough for a perfect weeknight dinner. It's bursting with tomato and Italian flavors. This Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce is a simple one pot meal which is made using store bought Gnocchi and tossed in a creamy tomato sauce.
Gnocchi is a delicious entrée that takes the hearty pasta to a whole new level. I make Gnocchi all the time. Its my favorite. Hearty, comforting, and so full of flavors.
More Italian Favorites to try:
What is Gnocchi?
Many people mistake Gnocchi to be a form of Pasta. But, Gnocchi is not pasta. Gnocchi is a dumpling made with boiled and peeled mashed potatoes, all purpose flour, beaten egg, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Gnocchi originated in Italy. If you are wondering What sauce is gnocchi served with?
Gnocchi means "lumps" in Italian. And, that's quite true. They look like small lumps of potato.
Since they are cooked like pasta in a sauce, people often mistake Gnocchi to be a form of Pasta. But, as I said, they are NOT.
Gnocchi is fluffy, airy, and just so delicious.
How do Italians eat gnocchi?
It is served in a variety of way all over the world. In various regions of Italy you are going to a find a different variety of Gnocchi.
For instance if you go to Lombardy then you will find Gnocchi served in a creamy, cheesy, buttery sauce.
On the other hand, if you go to Verona, you will find Gnocchi served in a creamy Tomato sauce.
And, here in the US, Gnocchi is typically made in tomato sauce with Italian seasoning.
How to Make Potato Gnocchi
Potato Gnocchi needs just 5-ingredients.
- Boiled, Peeled, and Mashed Potatoes
- All Purpose Flour
- Beaten Egg
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Just combine all of them together until they form a dough. Keep in mind that you cannot add too much flour. Only add as much flour as required.
Slice the kneaded dough into 4 equal parts. Start with one part and follow up with the rest. Roll out one part of the dough in the form of a long rope about 1-inch wide.
Slice the rolled out rope-like dough into equal 1/2 inch squares. Repeat this with remaining dough.
How to Give my Gnocchi that decorative shape
Place a fork on your kitchen countertop. Roll over each Gnocchi square from the base of the fork to the top. This is how you get that decorative shape on your potato Gnocchi.
How to Cook Gnocchi
Gnocchi gets cooked in a matter of minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add Gnocchi in batches so that they cook evenly.
- Stir gently twice or thrice until they float up to the surface.
- Once done, discard the water, and your Gnocchi is perfectly cooked.
What Kind of Potatoes Should I use for Gnocchi?
After extensive research and many trials, I have concluded that Yukon Gold Potatoes are a perfect fit for Gnocchi.
The idea is to look for dry potatoes. Because then you won't need much flour to make the dough.
a typical Gnocchi dough requires very less flour and more mashed potatoes. Why?
More flour makes the Gnocchi dense like a typical pasta. But you want your Gnocchi to be light and fluffy.
Therefore, I would suggest you stay away from Russet Potatoes, or New Potatoes, or Sweet Potatoes, or Idaho potatoes.
Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
In this recipe, we are using store bought Gnocchi. However, you can make your own Gnocchi at home.
We'll be cooking this on the stovetop and this is a one pot recipe where you don't have to cook the Gnocchi separately.
- Store Bought Gnocchi
- Freshly Minced Garlic
- can of diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- tomato ketchup
- italian seasoning
- Vegetable broth
- heavy cream
- brown sugar
- Freshly Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make Pan Fried Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce
In this recipe we are NOT cooking the Gnocchi separately. We are simply cooking it in the pan with butter.
- Cook Gnocchi in a pan with Butter
In a pan melt some butter. Add freshly minced cloves of garlic. Sautè until garlic becomes fragrant. Add Gnocchi and cook for about a minute.
- Add other Ingredients
Add a can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, italian seasoning, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well until combined.
- Add Vegetable Broth and Cook
Add Vegetable broth and cook for a while until Gnocchi gets cooked completely and the broth gets soaked in.
- Add Heavy Cream, Sugar, Parmesan, and Mozzarella
Now Stir in Heavy Cream, Sugar, Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese, and Freshly Shredded Mozzarella Cheese. Stir lightly and serve with freshly chopped basil.
Simple Date Night Recipe - Gnocchi in red sauce
This Gnocchi in red sauce recipe is not only good for weeknight recipes but also good for a Date Night. Just like this Angel Hair Fra Diavolo - Date Night Fra Diavolo
Quick Variations for Gnocchi and Mozzarella
- Half and Half or Cream Cheese - You can replace Heavy Cream with half and half or Cream Cheese or Crème fraîche.
- Dried Oregano - Enhance the flavors of this dish with Dried Oregano.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Bring in some more italian flavors into this by adding a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil along with Butter in the pan.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - Bring in some heat by adding in some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Arugula - Arugula is a popular Italian leafy green that has a peppery, lightly tarty, and spicy flavor. You can use chopped arugula as a garnish.
- Sage - Although sage is mostly used for holiday recipes, but it can be easily used to bring in more warmth and comfort to this dish.
How to Make Baked Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce
This might be a little too much. But, in case you are interested you can try.
- Make the Tomato Sauce
In a skillet melt butter (also add olive oil if you want). Add freshly minced garlic cloves (also add diced onions if you want). Sauté until fragrant. Add can of diced tomato, tomato paste, and tomato ketchup along with italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and Freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook Gnocchi in Salted Water
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add Gnocchi and cook until it floats to the surface. Drain the water and keep the gnocchi aside.
- Add Gnocchi to the skillet
Add cooked Gnocchi back to the skillet and top with Freshly Shredded Parmesan cheese, Freshly Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, and Heavy Cream.
Place the pan under broiler and cook until cheese melts for 5-7 minutes. Fold the cheese in Gnocchi. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or basil. Serve immediately.
Top Tips to Make the Best gnocchi recipe with tomato sauce
- Check Seasoning - You don't want your dish to fall flat because of less salt or freshly ground black pepper. Therefore it's very important that you check and adjust it as per your taste.
- Tomatoes - You can use San Marzano tomatoes or Passata tomatoes
- Sugar - Since we are using so much tomatoes, I prefer some sugar to cut out the acidity of tomatoes.
What is traditionally served with gnocchi?
Gnocchi is generally paired with any side salad or any easy side dish. Here are some of my favorites.
- Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime Dressing - The fresh lime dressing with nutty black bean and corn makes this an excellent side for Gnocchi.
- Kale Pesto Pasta with Walnuts - Kale is so refreshing and Kale Pesto is so much more amazing.
- Crispy Fried Green Beans in Air-Fryer - Fried Green beans will never go out of style. Especially, when it come to making sides.
- Creamy Cucumber Red Onion Salad with Dill and Sourcream - Another excellent and comforting salad that is both refreshing and creamy!
More Pasta Dishes to Make
- One Pot Spaghetti Recipe with Whipped Herb Ricotta
- Spinach Lasagna
- Eggplant Rollatini Recipe
- Unstuffed Shells Casserole
- Pasta alla Norma Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Parm Pasta
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken Pasta
Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
- 1 lb. package Potato Gnocchi store bought (check dry pasta aisle)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 14 oz (can) diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz (can) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or, as per taste
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground Black pepper or, as per taste
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil for garnish
- In a pan melt some butter. Add freshly minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add Gnocchi and toss lightly. Cook for 1-minute.
- Add a can of diced tomato, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, italian seasoning, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well until combined.
- Pour vegetable broth and sugar. Cook until the gnocchi soaks all the liquid. This takes about 5-7 minutes. The sauce will thicken on its own when the gnocchi releases starch.
- Taste your Gnocchi, adjust salt and pepper as per taste. Once it is cooked, stir freshly shredded Mozzarella cheese, Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, and freshly chopped basil. Serve immediately.