Crockpot tomato basil chicken - literally just a 5-minute recipe⌚️ and one of the most LOVED healthy crockpot dinner recipes.
Just dump everything in the slow cooker and after about 5-6 hours your creamy tomato basil chicken is absolutely ready. Always a hit with the family!👩👩👦👦
Try this really easy chicken dinner recipe
This recipe is quick and easy. Chicken is cooked in tomato sauce low and slow until it is succulent and savory. The chicken turns out tender and juicy (thanks to the slow cooker) and the sauce is well-seasoned and tasty. Serve it spaghetti or pasta or brown rice or a healthy and refreshing salad and make a nutritious dinner.
Give this crockpot tomato basil chicken recipe a try tonight!
Also, try these amazing Summer Crock Pot Meals.
You can also make this in an Instant Pot or Stove Top or Oven. But, I haven't tried it and I cannot tell you how it would taste. Therefore I always recommend using the slow cooker (especially for this recipe).
I love my crock pot! This is really simple to put together and the tomato basil sauce is delicious over rice. Crock Pot recipes are so good. You can modify them to your taste. Just a few ingredients and a crock pot makes a delicious meal.
Crockpot Tomato Basil Chicken is the perfect dish for any meal! Throw it in the slow cooker in the morning before work for an easy dinner.
The best part about this recipe is the creaminess of the sauce. Heavy Cream adds a creamy tone to the sauce making it taste so good.
I cannot tell you more about the way my family loved the heavenly combination of fresh basil and tomatoes.
Slow Cooker Chicken with Fresh Basil
This recipe works best with chicken breasts. Yes, you can also use frozen chicken breasts. It would definitely take you a few additional minutes in case you are using frozen chicken breasts. But, I have not tried it with frozen breasts and I cannot tell you how long it would take, exactly!
We cannot underestimate the brilliant taste of fresh basil. It's like tomato and basil were born to be together.
In this slow cooker chicken recipe, I like to stick to boneless skinless chicken breasts. Although there is a risk of chicken breasts becoming dry (if you cook it long enough), but not this one. There is so much juice - thanks to the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce that you don't have to worry about your chicken getting dry.
But, feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you like dark meat. But the cooking time might vary.
Ingredients for this Easy Crockpot Tomato and Basil Chicken
- Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts
- can of Diced Tomatoes
- can of Tomato Sauce
- freshly minced garlic
- italian seasoning
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- heavy cream
- corn starch
- fresh chopped basil
How to make Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
There are just three steps in making tomato basil chicken in slow cooker.
Step 1: Dump Everything in Slow Cooker
Dump a can of diced tomato and a can of tomato sauce in your slow cooker.
Step 2: Whisk Heavy Cream and Corn starch
Whisk heavy cream and corn starch in a glass measuring cup. Pour it directly into the slow cooker. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, freshly ground black pepper, freshly minced garlic.
Step 3: Add Chicken and Cook
Add chicken breasts. Press it down. Cover the lid and cook for 5-6 hours on low or until a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
once done, stir in fresh basil and serve with pasta or rice.
This recipe is quite similar to Keto Chicken Alfredo Bake
You can serve this Slow Cooker chicken with the following recipes.
- One Pot Spaghetti Recipe with Whipped Herb Ricotta
- Lemon Zucchini Pasta Recipe
- Garlic Butter Spaghetti Noodles
- Kale Pesto Pasta with Walnuts
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- Chicken Thighs - Don't like chicken breasts. No issues. Just use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Crockpot Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce (just 4-ingredients) and Crockpot Chicken Thigh Recipe with Asian Glaze
- Onion Powder & Garlic Powder - If you feel that this needs more flavors feel free to add some onion powder and garlic powder.
- Evaporated Milk - You can replace heavy cream with evaporated milk. It's a great alternative and tastes so good.
- Use a slow cooker liner so that you don't have to worry about cleaning that heavy slow cooker. It's way easier and costs almost nothing.
- Check the internal temperature of chicken with an instant read thermometer. When it reads 165°F then you would know that your chicken is perfectly cooked.
Allow your creamy tomato basil chicken to cool down completely. And then store it in an air tight container. This can be refrigerated for 2-3 days. You can freeze this for 2-3 weeks.
Before serving, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. And, then reheat it in the oven for at least 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
More Chicken Recipes
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta - Slow Cooker / Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chicken Parm Pasta
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet
Crockpot Tomato Basil Chicken
- 5 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts or Chicken Thighs
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) Tomato Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced (about 2 tsp)
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Heavy Cream or Evaporated Milk
- 1 tablespoon Corn starch
- 2 tablespoon Freshly Chopped Basil finely chopped
- Add a (14.5 oz) can of diced tomato and a (8 oz) can of Tomato Sauce to a 3-6 quart slow cooker.
- Whisk 1 cup heavy cream and 1 tablespoon Corn starch. Stir in fresh minced garlic, italian seasoning, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add chicken breasts and press it down into the sauce.
- cook on low for 5-6 hours. Check with an instant read thermometer. The center of the chicken should be at 165°F. The size of the slow cooker also determines the cooking time. If you have a fuller slow cooker, it will take more time. And a larger one will take less time.
- stir in fresh basil and serve over pasta or rice.