Honey Garlic Tofu is a crispy, sweet and spicy recipe. A brilliant combination of sweet and spice which is absolutely balanced.
Honey Garlic Tofu Topped With Toasted Sesame Seeds is a sweet, spicy, crispy and delicious Tofu recipe. Made with fresh Tofu tossed with Cornflour, and flavored with Garlic, Honey, Sriracha, Vinegar and Soy Sauce, this is a Pan-fried Tofu Recipe, which is an extremely healthy Vegan recipe (especially for women, as it's an excellent source of Calcium and Iron). This Recipe for Sesame Tofu with Honey Garlic Sauce is one you'll love and shall make often.
Can you believe than only half a cup of Tofu contains just 95 calories? Whereas Half Cup of Ground beef contains 331 Calories. It's time to make some healthy choices.
Crispy Honey Garlic Tofu
Crispy Honey Garlic Tofu recipe, marinated with Soy Sauce, Honey, Sriracha and Vinegar is best enjoyed with brown rice or white long grain basmati rice. This is also sometimes called Honey Soy Garlic Tofu Stir Fry in some places across the US. All in all, these Honey Garlic Tofu Bites are the perfectly crispy and exceptionally easy recipe.
How to Make Honey Garlic Tofu?
Honey Galic Tofu is made with fresh Tofu. You can buy fresh Tofu from the Frozen section in your Grocery store. Once you get your Tofu home, you can wash it first, and then wrap it in a paper towel or parchment paper. Then place it between the bottoms of two dinner plates. Also, place anything heavy on top of the Dinner plate. This will make sure that all the moisture of the Tofu oozes out and gets absorbed by the Paper Towel. It is extremely important to remove the moisture from your Tofu. Or else, when you place these in hot oil for frying, they will release moisture and reduce the temperature of the oil and in turn shall not get crisp and brown. So, to avoid all that, you need to dry your tofu.
Meanwhile, heat some oil in a Pan or Skillet. You can use Sesame Oil or Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil for this Tofu Recipe. The trick to heating your oil is, first put the heat on high. After like 2 minutes, reduce it to a low. Once the oil has been sitting on low flame for like 30 seconds, it's time to use it further.
Then once it's been drying for like 5 minutes, you can get it out and cut it into cubes. After that, coat these Tofus with cornflour. Once all the Tofu pieces are well coated, throw them in the oil. Be careful while throwing in your Tofu Pieces into the Oil as the Oil might splatter. So be slow with your Tofu cubes.
Once, they are in the skillet, you can put the flame on high. Keep stirring at regular intervals. To fry your Tofu (9Oz), it'll take about 7 minutes. Do not keep the flame on high for 7 minutes. You need to see that, when the Tofu starts changing color, then reduce the flame to medium and then again after a minute, increase it to high flame. Also, do not keep stirring constantly. Let the Tofu get crisped slowly. Once you'll start seeing the color of the edges has started to a light brown color and the side of Tofu Facing you is almost golden, it's time to turn your Tofu cube and fry the other side. As you turn the Tofu cube, you'll see it has a golden brown color. That's exactly the color you're looking for. Look for this transition in all your Tofu pieces and get them crisped slowly.
Once the Tofu Pieces gets crisped, you can remove them from oil and place it in a separate bowl. If you want your Tofu pieces to be soft, then you can place them in ice-cold water for a minute and then place them back on the tissue paper lined bowl. However, since we want crisp Tofu for this recipe, we are going to skip this step. Although, if you see that your Tofu Pieces have got over-fried or they are kind of black-ish, you can do this step. This will remove all the bitterness from the burnt part of your Tofu and they'll taste awesome.
Also, season your Crisp Tofu with a pinch of basil.
Now, quickly make your Sauce. For the sauce, in the same skillet, add 1/2 cup of butter and add the minced garlic. Another important tip is to add the garlic in cold oil or butter. This will flavor your oil well. If you put your garlic in hot oil or butter, it'll get burnt soon and all the flavor of garlic will be lost. It'll have a different flavor of burnt garlic, which we do not want for this Honey Garlic Tofu Recipe.
Meanwhile in a separate bowl, mix rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, and honey. Stir these well and keep aside.
As your garlic and butter get fragrant and the butter starts bubbling, you can add your Tofu pieces into it. Stir well and soon add the sauce you just made. You can add the entire amount of sauce you prepared. Stir and mix everything well. Keep cooking at high flame.
Now, add the chopped Bell Peppers. I have added Red Bell Pepper into this recipe. Traditionally, Bell Pepper is not put inside a Honey Garlic Tofu Recipe. However, I wanted some element of bite on my plate apart from the Tofu, so I thought of adding Bell Pepper. However, I have used Red Bell Pepper so that it gets blended with the color of the gravy and doesn't stand out. However, if you have any other color of Bell Pepper, you can use that too and this won't harm your dish. You can add the chopped Bell Pepper into your Dish at this stage and cook over high flame for a minute.
Finally, your Honey Garlic Tofu is ready.
To garnish the Tofu with toasted sesame seeds, take a spoonful of sesame seeds and place it over a high flame in a pan. Just toast it until it gets fragrant and parts of it start to change color. Do not wait for all of it to get brown as it'll soon get burnt and you won't notice. So just remove it from heat, when it's partially brown.
Top your Honey Garlic Tofu with toasted Sesame Seeds. Once it's topped well, you can add some chopped green onions for garnishing.
Finally, your Honey Garlic Tofu Topped With Toasted Sesame Seeds is ready. Serve it with Brown Rice or Long Grain Basmati rice or some Ramen or Spaghetti.
What is Tofu Made of?
Tofu is made by curdling Soy Milk. This is exceptionally healthy and you should have it if you like vegan recipes. Also, it's a high source of Calcium and Iron.
What does Tofu tastes like?
Tofu actually is very bland in itself. Unless you flavor your Tofu, it'll taste all bland and flavorless. It absorbs the flavor of the sauce it's put in.
So, without delay check out the recipe of Honey Soy Garlic Tofu recipe below.
Honey Garlic Tofu Topped With Toasted Sesame Seeds
To season the Tofu
- 250 9Oz Tofu
- 1 Cup Cornflour
- 1 Pinch Basil
- 1 Cup Sesame Oil You can also use Canola Oil or Vegetable oil
To make the Honey Garlic Sauce
- ½ Cup Butter
- 5 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 7-8 Pieces Chopped Red Bell Pepper You can use any color of Bell Pepper you have at home.
For seasoning the Honey Garlic Tofu
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Grounded Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds Toasted in a pan until lightly brown
- 1 handful Green Onions Chopped
- Cut the Tofu into cubes.
- Coat the Tofu pieces with Cornflour.
- Fry the Cornflour coated tofu until they turn goden brown from the sides.
- Once the Tofu gets golden and crispy, transfer them into a separate bowl. I wanterd my Tofu to be crispy so I didn't alter them. However, if you like soft Tofu, you can place the fired Tofu into ice cold water for a minute or two, stir well and then strain the water. It'll remove the excess oil and aslo make your Tofu soft.
- Finally, dress the fried Tofu with some basil
- Now, in the same Pan, add some Butter.
- And while the oil and Butter is cold, add minced garlic. ( I add garlic in cold oil or butter as that way, the oil or butter gets lavored with garlic. If you pur your garlic in hot oil, it'll quickly burn out and lose all the flavors.)
- After a minute turn on the heat and allow it to cook over high flame until the buter starts frothing.
- Now, once the butter starts frothing, add the fried Tofu in it and stir well over high heat for a minute.
- Now add in the chopped Bell Peppers and stir well over high heat for a minute.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, make a mixture of Rice Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Sriracha and Honey.
- Pour this mixture of sauces into the cooking Tofu.
- Stir well and cook over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Season it with some Salt and freshly grounded pepper as per your taste.
- Finally dish it out.
- Toast some sesame seeds in a pan. Do not add oil. Just lightly toast it until it starts to turn brown.
- Top it with toasted sesame seeds and chooped Green Onions.
- Serve it with Basmati Rice or a bowl of Ramen or Spaghetti.