Last Updated on February 13th, 2023 at 12:54pm
Creamy Shrimp Alfredo - Creamy, smooth, and so flavorful. This easy Shrimp Alfredo is made with Cream Cheese, Unsalted Butter, Fresh Parmesan Cheese, Pasta, Heavy Cream, Chicken Broth, Garlic, Salt & Pepper, and of course - Shrimp 🍤
Shrimp Alfredo from Olive Garden is one of the most loved and comforting seafood pasta recipe ever! I love it for being one of the creamiest and richest seafood pasta dish.
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
- What's in Cream Cheese Shrimp Alfredo?
- Love Fettuccine Alfredo? Also try these comforting Fettuccine Alfredo recipes
- Can I substitute Heavy Cream?
- Shrimp Alfredo Olive Garden
- More Shrimp Pasta Recipes
- Easy Shrimp Recipe for Dinner
- Ingredients Needed to make Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- How to Make Shrimp Alfredo
- Substitution to still get a creamy & comforting Alfredo
- What goes well with Shrimp Alfredo
- More Shrimp Recipes
- How to store leftover Shrimp Alfredo and reheat?
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo with Cream Cheese
Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
Shrimp Alfredo Recipe which is popular all over America is actually a very Americanised version of the recipe. Actually you see - the authentic Alfredo sauce recipe you get in Italy is simply made using really good Parmesan cheese and Butter.
However to achieve that same creamy texture we use Heavy cream and a bit of garlic to achieve that slight piquant taste of Parmesan.
And to make it even creamier I use Cream Cheese!
I know authentic Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo or Alfredo sauce doesn't include Cream Cheese.
While its not authentic, it's my own take on Alfredo sauce. And of course it makes it easier to make a quick Alfredo sauce using cream cheese and toss pasta and shrimp to it.
What's in Cream Cheese Shrimp Alfredo?
Its actually really simple and straight forward Shrimp Alfredo recipe which uses fresh Cream Cheese, Butter, Garlic, Heavy Cream and Freshly grated Parmesan to get the perfect creamy taste and texture.
I like to use Fettuccine Pasta while cooking any Fettuccine Alfredo recipe.
And the only reason being that Fettuccine Pasta holds on to the creaminess of Alfredo sauce better. There is nothing more comforting than a perfectly cooked Fettuccine Pasta soaked and drenched in a creamy Alfredo sauce.
There is nothing more comforting than a plate full of creamy Shrimp Alfredo 😋
Seriously guys, can there be anything more hearty, and flavorful than Fettuccine Alfredo?
Love Fettuccine Alfredo? Also try these comforting Fettuccine Alfredo recipes
Can I substitute Heavy Cream?
Actually Heavy Cream is very essential for making a luxurious, thick and creamy Alfredo Sauce.
The low moisture content of Heavy Cream melts and combines with the Parmesan Cheese perfectly giving you that creamy sauce.
However when in a pinch, Cream Cheese along with Milk works like the perfect combination which will help you achieve the perfect taste and texture as that of Heavy Cream used Alfredo Sauce!
Shrimp Alfredo Olive Garden
The Olive Garden Shrimp Alfredo is sinfully delicious!
The luxurious and ultra creamy sauce is made using Egg Yolks, really good Parmesan Cheese, Butter and Heavy Cream!
And the trick to make a really creamy Alfredo Sauce is to use a bit of leftover starchy water you have.
It really combines the Parmesan with the butter and eggs making the Alfredo Sauce extra creamy!
More Shrimp Pasta Recipes
But, there is something so easy and so hearty about Garlic Butter anything. Be it
Easy Shrimp Recipe for Dinner
Are you looking for some Shrimp Recipes for Dinner? Well, that's incredible. You can make this easy peasy and comforting Shrimp Alfredo Pasta or something more Southern Like Shrimp Creole or Spicy New Orleans Shrimp or Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya in an Instant Pot.
If you want to try something even better then try
Lemon Butter Shrimp and Rice or
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Shrimp.
Ingredients Needed to make Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Unsalted Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Shrimp Alfredo
Step 1: Cook Pasta
Cook Pasta or any other Pasta that you are using as per package directions. Drain the water and Set aside.
Step 2: Make Sauce
In a large skillet combine butter and cream cheese. Stir well until they combine. Add minced garlic cloves and cook until fragrant.
Gradually add heavy cream and low sodium chicken broth. Stir well and simmer until thickened.
Step 3: Add Parmesan Cheese, Salt, and pepper
Add freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
Step 4: Add cooked pasta
Add cooked pasta and coat the pasta in the sauce.
Step 5: Add Shrimps
Add raw peeled, de veined shrimps (with tails on or removed). Cook on medium-high until the shrimps turn pink and are cooked through.
Step 6: Toss and Serve
Toss lightly and Serve with fresh basil or dried basil.
How to Not Overcook Shrimp
Shrimps cook really fast. In a matter of minutes, your shrimp will be cooked. But, you don't want to overcook your shrimps.
Overcooked shrimps become rubbery, chewy, and taste awful.
Therefore just wait for them to curl and turn pink on the outside. That's your sign.
Use Fresh Parmesan Cheese
One of the little-known secrets of a creamy Shrimp Alfredo is using fresh Parmesan cheese that has been shredded at home.
You know that green packaged stuff that you get in the stores is actually quite grainy and doesn't mix well with the sauce.
I have tried using it in several recipes. But, the taste is nothing as compared to freshly shredded Parmesan Cheese. If you've got it then you're going to enjoy it so much!
However still if you have grated Parmesan Cheese, use it! You cannot achieve a creamy Alfredo sauce without Parmesan Cheese.
Substitution to still get a creamy & comforting Alfredo
- Half and Half - Instead of Heavy Cream you can also use Half and Half.
- Milk - If you are not interested in heavy cream or half and half you can use milk.
- Nutmeg - Just a pinch of nutmeg will add a beautiful nutty taste to your pasta.
- Red Pepper Flakes - If you find this too sweet and would want to make it lightly spicy, just try sprinkling a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes to spice things up.
- Broccoli - Want to make it healthy, just try tossing in some fresh broccoli florets.
What goes well with Shrimp Alfredo
Generally this creamy dish pairs well with greens like
OR some green salad like Creamy Cucumber Red Onion Salad with Dill and Sourcream OR Asian Cucumber Red Onion Salad with Garlic Vinegar Dressing
Can I Cook Shrimps Separately
Yes, you definitely can.
In fact, if you are running out of time and want to make a quick Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp, then while your Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce is simmering you can take a separate skillet with some butter.
Coat your shrimp in Salt and pepper (if you want) and cook in a skillet with butter.
OR Coat the Shrimps with salt, pepper and melted butter. Spread them out in a large parchment paper lined baking dish. Bake @350F for 5-7 min. Toss mid ways.
Can I add Mozzarella Cheese
Of course, you can. Many people love their Shrimp Alfredo cheesy. Therefore about 1/2 cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese would induce more flavors and cheesiness to your Pasta dish.
How to cook Shrimp for Alfredo?
The easiest way to cook Shrimp for Alfredo is to cook them separately in a skillet with butter, salt and pepper. You can even roast them in the oven @350F for 5-6 min.
How to make Shrimp Alfredo with Jar Sauce?
A jar of Alfredo Sauce makes it super easy to make Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo.
All you have to do is cook the Fettuccine Pasta separately and also cook the Shrimps separately.
Simply add the jar of Alfredo Sauce to the cooked pasta and shrimp.
Toss to combine. If the sauce is too thick and its difficult to combine everything, use a bit of leftover pasta water to combine everything. Toss to combine.
Top with shredded Parmesan and serve!
Can I make Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo?
Yes of course! You can easily make a Vegan Cream Cheese sauce. Here are some newest ways to make a good Vegan Alfredo Sauce.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Thai Peanut Lime Shrimp Curry
- Shrimp Udon Stir Fry
- Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
- Blackened Shrimp Tacos
- Crispy Honey Sesame Shrimp
- Peanut Shrimp Pad Thai Recipe
- Sweet Chili Garlic Shrimp
- Mexican Shrimp and Rice Burrito Bowl
- 15-min Spicy Shrimp in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Creamy Shrimp Stuffed Avocado
- Creamy Shrimp Salad
How to store leftover Shrimp Alfredo and reheat?
You can store leftover Shrimp Alfredo in an airtight food storage container and wrap it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate it for up to 2-3 days.
How to reheat Fettuccine Alfredo?
Reheating Fettuccine Alfredo is a little tricky. You do not want to reheat leftover Fettuccine Alfredo in a microwave.
This is because since this Alfredo sauce is made using cream cheese and heavy cream, it will curdle in the microwave.
The best way to reheat Fettuccine Alfredo is to heat it very slowly at low heat in a cast iron skillet.
You would always want to use a cast iron skillet or a heavy bottom skillet, as it heats up very slowly and the heat spreads evenly making sure the pasta made with cream doesn't curdle.
Can you freeze Shrimp Alfredo?
No! Freezing Alfredo will only get it ruined. And even upon reheating Alfredo sauce will definitely curdle. So you can simply refrigerate the leftovers.
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Snap it and tag me @recipemagik with #recipemagik.
Creamy Shrimp Alfredo with Cream Cheese
- 1 pound pasta 16 oz any pasta that you like (linguine, fettuccine, or shells or spaghetti)
- 2 pounds Shrimp 31-34 count (thawed, peeled, deveined, you can keep the tails or remove them)
- 3-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese I used block cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- fresh or dried basil for garnish (OPTIONAL)
- In a large dutch pot bring some water to a boil with a teaspoon of salt in it. Add pasta and cook as per the package directions. Drain the water and run it under cool water so that it doesn't cook any further. Set Aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter and add cream cheese. Stir well until the cream cheese breaks down and combines with the butter in the skillet.
- Add few cloves of minced garlic and toss well for about a minute.
- Pour Low Sodium Chicken Broth and Heavy Cream. Bring it to a slow boil and allow it to simmer for about 5-8 minutes until the sauce thickens. Stir often.
- Turn the heat to low Add freshly shredded Parmesan Cheese, Salt, and Pepper. Toss well until combined.
- Add cooked pasta and mix it with the sauce.
- Add Shrimps and cook on low heat for 5-6 minutes until the shrimp curl and become pink. Do not overcook shrimps.
- Toss lightly. Garnish with dried basil. Serve right away.
This was a family hit. The sauce was really creamy and who doesn’t like shrimp?
So nice of you to leave such a heart-warming comment along with a rating. Have a great day!