Cheese Rosemary Scones – A soft dough is made with self-raising flour, salt, cold butter cubes, baking powder, cheese and just enough milk to get it all together. Then small 8 inch scones are cut out from the dough which is baked until they fluffy and golden brown on the top.
More Scones recipes
- Scrumptious Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chips Scones with Maple Glaze
- The Best Lemon Blueberry Scones ever!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Scones
A VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE THESE CHEESE SCONES 🙂
Cheese Scones are a popular British snack that is relished with a steaming hot cup of afternoon tea. I am no British to be telling you the exacts but with a short trip to the English countryside a few months back, I can tell you that cheese scones are a supremely popular snack. And, why shouldn’t they be? They are so cheesy, so buttery, so crusty on the tip and melty on the inside and just so perfect. Have you tried my favorite Chocolate Chips Banana Scones? They are sweet but so yummy!
Let’s talk taste:
Taste-wise this recipe scores 10/10 for me. There is a wonderful Cheesy and Buttery feel to these scones. They just melt in your mouth. The after flavor of Rosemary is fantastic.
How to Make the Best Cheese Rosemary Scones
Cheese Scones are a classic snack recipe. However, this recipe is so much better. There is a wonderful Herb taste to these Scones along with the Cheese and Buttery feel to it which makes these extra specials.
Cheese - I have used Mozarella Cheese instead of Cheddar Cheese. Cheddar Cheese is so common. So, I thought of doing something different and used shredded Mozarella Cheese
Rosemary - Rosemary gives a nice herby taste to this Scone. If you don't have Rosemary, you can use any herbs you have. If I don't have Rosemary, I use Basil and Thyme in its place.
First, in a mixing bowl take a cup of Self-rising flour. Throw in some salt, and cayenne pepper with a dash of baking powder. Mix them with cold butter cubes. But be careful to not overwork. Because the heat from your hands might melt the butter and we don't want that. We want a breadcrumb-like texture. Now's the perfect time to add in some cheese and mix them all together.
Milk - The addition of milk gives these scones a nice texture or else it would be too floury. Moreover, we use milk to turn this breadcrumb-like consistency into a soft but fairly firm dough. Therefore, its really important that we do not add all the milk at once. For this, I would advise you to not add all the milk at once. Here's where you'd have to use your kitchen skills to work. We need a soft but firm dough. Keeping that in mind, keep adding your milk.
Rolling the Dough - While you are going to roll your dough, you will see that it's getting hard for you to do that. For this a tip of advice is that you flour your surface. Not too much. Just a tad bit to get the dough rolling. How much to roll the dough? Again, not too much. We need the thickness of our scones to be approximately 2 cm. So, I guess, an 8 cm. dough would be fine to cut out about 4-5 scones.
Baking the Scones
For baking the scones we need to make sure that we apply enough egg wash or milk on the scones and then pop them in the oven. Slowly, these guys will start rising in the oven and we would see the cheese on the top make a nice golden brownish crust. That's when you know that your cheese scones are done. Do not overbake it. As soon as you see the tops turning golden brown evenly, turn off the oven and get them out. Let them sit at room temperature for 5 minutes then you can take them out and enjoy.
Tips to bake the Perfect Cheese Rosemary Scones
- Do not overwork on the flour. We need the dough to have that buttery texture. Hence, it's very important that you don't try to meet all the butter with your hands.
- Do not add too much rosemary. We need rosemary for that smell and that extra flavor. But, if we add too much rosemary it would ruin the taste of our scones.
- Don't forget about egg wash or milk wash for your scones. Adding the milk or eggwash on the scones gives them a gorgeous golden-brown crust on the top.
- Always use chilled butter. While making scones we need cold butter. Why? Well, because cold butter makes the scones rise higher. If it has been sitting in your kitchen for quite some time then freeze it before you use it.
So, that's how you make these amazing Cheese Rosemary Scones. It's a really easy and fun recipe which you'll love at any time of the year with your favorite Afternoon tea or coffee. Trust me, you'll forget Scones from Cafes after you've tried this recipe. It's really simple and easy.
Cheese Rosemary Scones
- 1 Cup Self-rising Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Cold Butter Cubed
- ½ or 120 gm Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded (can use cheddar cheese as well)
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary dried or fresh
- 100 ml Whole Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Sift Flour, Salt, Black Pepper, and Baking Powder in a bowl and whisk until combined. You can sift twice so that everything is mixed well and there are no lumps left.
- Add the Cold Butter Cubes and mix it with your hands or use a pastry blender to mix it, until you get breadcrumbs like texture. Do not over mix and melt the butter. Mix just enough so that you get the breadcrumbs.
- Next add the shredded Mozzarella Cheese and mix it with your hands. Do not over mix.
- Next, add dried or freshly chopped Rosemary and mix it with the flour mixture
- Make a well in the center and pour the milk in streaming motion. Do not add all the milk at once. Add Milk as per your requirement to make a smooth and soft dough. Do not over-knead the dough
- Flour the rolling surface and Roll the Dough out to 2-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out small circles (7-8 cm Diameter) and place it on a lined baking tray. Top the scones with some more shredded Mozzarella Cheese and Rosemary.
- Put the baking tray in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Get them out and brush Milk or Eggwash over them. Pop the baking tray in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until you get a golden-brown crust on top. Serve hot!
- It is very important to glaze the Scones with Milk or Egg Wash. This will ensure that you have a golden-brown crust over your scones.
- Herbs are a personal addition to your Cheese Scones. You can add any herbs you love to this scone.
- It's important to chill the Scones before you pop them into the hot oven. If you are chilling it in the freezer do it for just 4-5 minutes. If you are putting it in the refrigerator, then you should allow it to stay there for at least 15 minutes.
- Also, the Milk, Cheese, and Butter you are using should be chilled. It might happen that you keep the ingredients ready and while you knead the dough, the Butter or the Cheese or Milk, come down to room temperature. So, consider, keeping them in the fridge and using them only when you need them. This will ensure that your Scones ae crusty and flaky.