Keto Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats stuffed with hearty ground chicken, homemade copycat Frank's Red Hot Sauce, ranch dressing and then topped with lots of cheese and baked to perfection. This low carb meal is something that the entire family will enjoy!
After I got raving reviews from you guys for my Garlic Sesame Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats, and Vegan Lentil Stuffed Zucchini Boats I am actually on a roll! Thank You Guys!
When I see Zucchini, I can see nothing but zucchini boats.
But, making zucchini boats is so so so easy and it has that comfort element in it which makes it totally worth your time.
Zucchini Boats seems to arise a lot of confusion in people.
Should I pre-bake zucchini boats?
Is the Zucchini skin edible?
Can I eat the zucchini seeds? and many more questions.
I would suggest you to read this article thoroughly so that you can get an in-depth idea on how to make the best stuffed zucchini boats.
What can I do with all that zucchini?
With this Zucchini Boat recipe, you'll not just fall in love with zucchini boats but you'll start thinking it's probably the best way to use up a fridge full of farm fresh zucchinis before they turn bad.
- What can I do with all that zucchini?
- What you'll need to make buffalo zucchini boats
- What should I look for when buying zucchini?
- How to hollow out zucchini?
- is zucchini seeds safe to eat?
- First 3 Steps to Make Zucchini Boats
- The Good Part - Making a Deeeliciousss filling
- And, coming to the last-bit:
- Some of my most popular recipes with my homemade buffalo sauce
- What goes well with buffalo chicken zucchini boats?
- Can you freeze buffalo chicken zucchini boats?
- Ahead of time?
- Possible Variations
- More Zucchini Recipes
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats (Keto)
What you'll need to make buffalo zucchini boats
- ground chicken
- olive oil
- Frank's Redhot original sauce or my homemade hot sauce
- ranch dressing
- natural yellow mustard
- garlic powder
See recipe card for quantities.
What should I look for when buying zucchini?
- Choosing the best Zucchinis - When it comes to Zucchini the best ones are the smaller ones. The ones that are at least 6-7 inches long should be the ones that you should be choosing. Make sure that they are unripe and firm.
- zucchini skin on or off - GO ON! The skin is filled with nutrition, fiber. Check out this article for health benefits of zucchini.
How to hollow out zucchini?
- Cut Zucchini in Half lengthwise :- Use a sharp knife to cut zucchini in half from stem to stem.
- Core Zucchini - Use a knife to leave at least 1/4 inch border around the zucchini. Use a spoon to scoop out the filling.
is zucchini seeds safe to eat?
If you are using a small or medium sized zucchini which is at least 6-7 inches long then you can eat the zucchini seeds.
In case, the zucchini is bigger in size then I would recommend you to discard the seeds.
First 3 Steps to Make Zucchini Boats
- STEP 1: Prepare Zucchini - Follow the instructions written above and prepare the zucchini.
- STEP 2: Scoop out the Flesh - Now many people wonder how to scoop out zucchini boats? It is pretty easy. Once you've sliced the zucchini in half, use the sharp side of a spoon and go top to bottom scraping the flesh. Dig fairly deep but not all the way to the bottom.
- STEP 3: Pre-Bake Zucchini boats - Lightly brush them with some olive oil and season them with a pinch of salt. Place them in your 9x13 inch baking dish. Transfer to the center of a preheated oven at 400 degrees F. Bake them for 14-15 minutes.
The Good Part - Making a Deeeliciousss filling
- STEP 4: Cook ground chicken - Heat a cast-iron skillet with some olive oil. Add ground chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes breaking up the meat using a spatula. Season the chicken mixture with some salt and pepper (as per taste).
Alternatively: And, I know you aren't asking, but here are some more shredded chicken recipes (you know just in case) 😉
- Ground Chicken Tacos with most flavorful taco meat
- Garlic Herbs Chicken Bites (10-min)
- Red Chicken Enchiladas - all time family favorite
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Bake
- 20 Easy Ground Chicken Recipes with few Ingredients
- STEP 5: Combine with hot sauce: Combine cooked shredded chicken with frank's red hot original sauce (or better use my homemade hot sauce recipe) along with ranch dressing (or my homemade ranch dressing recipe), Yellow Mustard, some garlic powder, and some salt and pepper.
And, coming to the last-bit:
- STEP 6: Spooning the filling - Spoon the buffalo chicken filling into the zucchini boats.
- STEP 7: Top with shredded cheese - Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- STEP 7: BAKE - Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 7-8 minutes or until cheese melts.
VOILA! SERVE: I like to serve it with some fresh chopped parsley along with some more ranch and hot sauce on top. (just my kinda thing)
Just for you guys:-
Some of my most popular recipes with my homemade buffalo sauce
- Crockpot Buffalo Ranch Chicken (5-ingredient) - This has over 5m saves on Pinterest
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wraps - something that I love making for my kids.
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Skewers - My ultimate summer favorite
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza - One of my favorite homemade Pizza!
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos - Time to turn Taco tuesday into Taquito Tuesday!
- Baked Buffalo Wings - The classic for Super bowl.
- Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese - Umm... Only good vibes...
- Buffalo Chicken Enchilada Bites - Cute Tex-Mex Appetizer.
- Ranch Cheddar Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels - One of my favorite appetizer for parties.
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole - When your soul craves something comforting.
What goes well with buffalo chicken zucchini boats?
You can enjoy these deeeliciouss zucchini boats with:
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Panzanella Salad (Tuscan Summer Salad)
- Broccoli Corn Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Mushrooms
- Brown Sugar Glazed Baby Carrots
Can you freeze buffalo chicken zucchini boats?
- Yes. After you've made them, you can actually freeze your buffalo chicken zucchini boats.
- BUT BUT BUT Allow them to cool down completely!
- Wrap each zucchini boat with an aluminium foil.
- Freeze them for at least 2-months.
Ahead of time?
- Ya! Sure... You can make these cute babies way ahead of time.
- Pop it in the oven
- Ding! Its done... Serve them right away...
Here's how to do it:
- Cook ground chicken and cool it down. Transfer to an airtight container and place it in the freezer.
- Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before cooking it the next day.
- You can also prepare the zucchini (by coring them).
- Wrap them with a plastic wrap and double wrap with an aluminium foil.
- Refrigerate for 2 days.
- Before spooning the stuffing, prebake with some salt and pepper, lightly greased with olive oil.
- Prebake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Melted Butter - You can brush the insides of zucchini boats with melted butter.
- Go crazy on cheese - Choose shredded Mozzarella or Parmesan or Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack or any other cheese.
- Tone down the heat - If the hot sauce too hot and spicy then tone down the heat with some honey. I would recommend at least 2-tablespoons of Honey to dial down the heat.
- Use fresh garlic - Ditch garlic powder and just squeeze in some fresh minced garlic while cooking chicken or while combing chicken with the sauce. The aroma of garlic will make the crowd go nuts...
More Zucchini Recipes
- Baked Zucchini Casserole (KETO)
- Savory Cheddar Zucchini Bread With Thyme Butter
- Low Carb Keto Zucchini Fritters without Flour
- KETO Zucchini Meatballs (No Breadcrumbs)
- Zucchini Muffins
Easy Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats (Keto)
to prepare zucchini
- 4 medium zucchini
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
Prepare zucchini boats
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cut zucchinis from stem to stem. Scoop out the flesh using the sharp end of a spoon going from top to bottom, leave at least ¼ inch border around the sides. Don't go through all the way to the bottom of the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini boats in the prepared baking dish cut side up. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
Cook Ground Chicken
- Heat a cast-iron skillet with olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground chicken. Use a spatula to break up the meat. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
Make the buffalo stuffing
- Transfer cooked ground chicken to a bowl. Stir in buffalo wing sauce or homemade hot sauce, ranch dressing, yellow mustard, and garlic powder.
Stuff zucchini boats
- Stuff Zucchini boats with buffalo chicken. Don't go all the way to the top. Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and top with more ranch, additional buffalo sauce, freshly cracked black pepper, chopped parsley, and sliced green onions. Serve hot.
- Both Buffalo Sauce and Cheddar Cheese is high in Sodium. You can reduce sodium in half by cutting out the quantity of both by half.
- You can replace Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese with Mozzarella Cheese or Monterey Jack Cheese.
- If you prefer it hotter you can add more buffalo wing sauce.
- If you prefer it slightly sweet you can add some honey.