Vegan Taquitos - Crispy on the outside and sweet on the inside these Baked Taquitos are just fabulous. The smoky flavors of ground cumin and smoked paprika, the sweetness of mashed potatoes, green peas, and corn, and the zesty freshness of lime juice make these Vegan Taquitos one of the best recipes ever.
What You'll LOVE about them:
- Easy recipe
- Baked (Not Fried)
- Crispy on the Outside
- Sweet on the inside
- Balance of flavors - Spices like Ground cumin, Smoked Paprika, & Ground Black Pepper create a blast of flavors in every bite.
- Zesty lime juice makes the Taquitos tastes even better
- Creamy, and Cheesy filling on the inside. Vegan Cream Cheese and Mashed Potatoes bring a creamy and comforting touch to these baked taquitos.
Ingredients You'll Need:
These Vegan Taquitos require very few ingredients. All we'll be needing are these few ingredients.
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- Bell Peppers
- Green Peas
- Sweet Corn
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Spices - Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Dried Oregano, Ground Cumin, & Curry Powder.
- Flour Tortillas
- Lime Wedges & Chopped Cilantro (For Garnish)
How to Make Vegan Taquitos?
STEP 1: Cook the Potatoes
- Cook the Potatoes in Salted boiling water for 12-13 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain the water and mash the potatoes using a fork or a masher.
- Keep the mashed potatoes aside.
STEP 2: Making the filling
- Heat Olive Oil in a Pan.
- As the oil shimmers, add Chopped Onions and Saute until translucent.
- Add Garlic and Chopped Bell Peppers. Saute for 2-minutes over low heat.
- Add Green Peas and Corn. Saute until tender for 1-minute.
- Now add the Spices - Salt, Ground Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Ground Cumin, Dried Oregano, and Curry Powder.
- Saute until combined.
- Add Cream Cheese and Mashed Potatoes and Toss to combine.
STEP 3: Roll the Taquitos
- Take a Flour Tortilla (If using Corn Tortilla then toast them until pliable and then use it).
- Place the filling at the edge of the Tortilla.
- Start Rolling the Taquitos from the edge, until you roll it tightly.
- Place the Taquitos seam side down on a greased baking dish.
STEP 4: Bake the Taquitos
- Brush Olive Oil over the Taquitos.
- Bake the Taquitos at 400F or 210C for 20-minutes.
STEP 5: Garnish and Serve
- Garnish the Taquitos with any dipping sauce of your choice, Lemon wedges, and Chopped Cilantro.
Can I Freeze Them?
Yes, of course, you can freeze these Vegan Taquitos. To freeze them you would have to allow them to cool down completely. Then wrap each Taquito with a cling wrap and place all of them in a freezer-friendly Ziplock bag. You can freeze these Taquitos for up to a week. Make sure you thaw these Taquitos in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave before serving.
Can I Reheat them?
Yes definitely. To reheat your Taquitos you can either place them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 5-minutes. Or you can even warm them in a pan until completely heated through.
Alternative Ingredients that you can use:
- Guacamole - You can serve these with guacamole.
- Salsa - You can make your favorite Salsa at home and serve these taquitos with that. Try Grilled Corn Mango Salsa or Roasted Tomato Salsa.
- Sour Cream - You can use Vegan Sour cream. It is made with Cashews.
- Cauliflower rice - If you want to avoid the carb content of potatoes you can use Cauliflower rice instead.
- Lentils - You can use Green Lentils or Yellow lentils instead of Potatoes to make the taquito filling.
- Beans - You can also add white beans or kidney beans to make these taquitos.
- Sweet Potatoes - You can substitute Potatoes for Sweet Potatoes.
- Zucchini - You can make this even healthier by adding some chopped zucchini while making the filling.
Other recipes that you might like:
- Vegan Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burgers in Air-Fryer
- Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti
- Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
- Vegan Southern Black Eyed Peas Recipe
- Black Bean and Corn Tacos
- Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos
- Crispy Cauliflower Tinga Tacos
If you are making this recipe, then plese leave a rating below. Also take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Vegan Taquitos - Baked Taquitos Recipe
- 2 Medium-sized Potatoes 400g (Peeled and Chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil more for brushing Taquitos
- ½ Medium-sized Onion finely chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Medium-sized Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 1 Cup Peas Frozen or Canned
- ½ Cup Corn Frozen or Canned
- 1 Teaspoon Salt adjust as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder OPTIONAL
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 5 Oz Vegan Cream Cheese
- 8-10 Small/Medium Tortillas
- Bring a pot of saltwater to a quick boil. Add peeled and chopped potatoes. Bring the heat down to medium. Cook until fork-tender for 12-13 minutes.
- Once done, drain the water and use a fork or a masher to mash these potatoes. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat some Olive Oil. As the oil shimmers, add chopped onions. Saute onions for 30-45 seconds.
- Now add minced garlic and finely chopped bell pepper. If you want you can also add some grated carrots/chopped zucchini at this stage. Sauté for 1-minute.
- Now add Peas and Corn. Make sure you thaw before using frozen peas and corn. Toss well to combine.
- Now add the spices - Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Ground Cumin, Dried Oregano, and Curry Powder. Mix well to combine.
- Now add Vegan Cream Cheese (or any other Vegan Cheese) and Mashed Potatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees F. Take Tortillas and place about 2-3 tablespoon filling on the edge of each tortilla. Start rolling from one end and roll tightly. Place them in a baking sheet with seam-side down. Keep them next to each other.
- Brush Oil on the Taquitos and bake in a preheated Oven at 410F OR 210C for 17-20 minutes. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
So delicious Taquitos!! The filling is super good and so flavourful 😊😊