Thai Green Curry Paste is this perfect spice mix which you can add to every Thai food recipe for that perfect homemade Thai Green Curry! Its fragrant, sweet, salty, spicy and the best addition to all Thai food recipes.
- Most Popular Thai Food Recipes
- What do you need to make Thai green curry Paste ?
- Ingredients needed For making Thai green curry paste
- How to make Homemade Thai Green Curry Paste - Step by Step Instructions
- Tips to make your Thai green curry even better
- How to store Thai Green Curry Paste
- Thai recipes to try
- Authentic Thai Green Curry Paste Recipe
Most Popular Thai Food Recipes
Green Curry Shrimp | Thai Green Curry Recipe
Creamy Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry Recipe
Sticky Thai Meatballs with Peanut Sauce
Thai Lemongrass Coconut Fried Rice With Zucchini
Thai Curried Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
Crispy Thai Sweet Chili Chicken
Thai Red Coconut Chicken Curry with Jasmine Rice
What do you need to make Thai green curry Paste ?
There are essentially two parts to making every Thai green curry. First is the green curry paste, and second is the curry itself.
Don't worry, the list is not long or intimidating! You'll find all the ingredients down below at any nearby Asian supermarket.
Special Thai ingredients you need for this recipe of Homemade Thai Green Curry Paste
1. Thai green chilies
One of the reasons why this curry is so green in color is Thai green chilies. But besides that, Thai green chilies will also give the Thai green curry its trademark spiciness. We suggest you don’t skip these green chilies!
This ingredient is known for its fresh citrusy flavor that you will love in your Thai green curry.
Make sure you peel the tough outer green part and only use the soft inner part.
At first glance, it looks a lot like ginger but is actually very different in its scent and flavor profile.
It will add more citrus-like strong flavors to the Thai green curry.
4. Dried shrimp
Is a very pungent ingredient but has amazing flavors. But if you want to keep your green curry vegan, then I suggest you forego it.
5. Thai basil
Thai basil is very different from your regular Basil it is sweeter in flavor and scent, giving it a perfect balance to the spiciness of the Green curry.
Ingredients needed For making Thai green curry paste
- Thai green chilies
- Shallots, preferably the small Thai shallots
- Roots of cilantro
- Kaffir lime peel
- White peppercorns
- Coriander seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Kosher salt
- Shrimp paste
How to make Homemade Thai Green Curry Paste - Step by Step Instructions
- Thai Green Curry Paste is so easy to make. It is best if you use a mortar and pestle to make it. This way you'll get the most authentic version of Thai green curry paste. But if you don't happen to have a mortar and pestle then don't worry. A simple and regular high speed blender would work great.
- First, let's prepare all the ingredients that will go in our green curry paste. Let’s first start with the vegetables. Slice your Thai green chilies in half and remove their stems. You can also go ahead and remove their seeds if you want to reduce the spice. Then cut up the shallots and ginger in slices. When it comes to cutting Galangal and lemongrass, make sure you slice it very thinly. Next, remove the roots of the cilantro. Lastly, you have the elusive Kaffir lime. You need to use only its bumpy peel, so remove just that with a sharp knife or a peeler.
- It’s now time to make the Thai green curry paste. You’ll need a big mortar and pestle for this, as the ingredients you’ll be grinding together are quite many. Round up all the prepared vegetables in the mortar and pestle and start pounding.
- When the vegetables are lightly smashed, go ahead and add the coriander and cumin seeds.
- When your Thai green paste is almost ready, add the shrimp paste and give it another round of pounding to bring everything together.
- Your Thai green curry paste is now ready! It should come out looking like a smooth but a bit rustic green paste.
Tips to make your Thai green curry even better
- If you want to go the true authentic route then get a decent-sized mortar and pestle. Trust us, you will not regret this investment. You can in fact use it to make many other Thai recipes as well, like Pad Thai and papaya salad!
- Try to get authentic Thai ingredients like Thai basil and shrimp paste to make this recipe. It will make the end product much more authentic and true to its taste.
- If you want to increase the flavors of your Thai green curry even more then lightly roast your coriander and cumin seeds in a pan before grinding them in the curry paste
How to store Thai Green Curry Paste
Storing Thai green curry paste is extremely easy. All you need to do is pack any leftover Thai green curry paste in an airtight container and store it in your refrigerator.
With this method of preservation, you can easily expect your Thai green curry to last for as long as four years.
Thai recipes to try
- Thai Chicken Stir Fry
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
- Easy Thai Green Curry Chicken Recipe
- Thai Sweet and Sour Salmon
- Thai Peanut Lime Shrimp Curry
Authentic Thai Green Curry Paste Recipe
- 5 medium sized Green Chili Peppers deseeded and finely chopped
- 5 Thai Green Chilis
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 3 small Shallots chopped
- 2 Lemongrass stems, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Galangal grated
- 3 tablespoon Dried Shrimps
- 2 teaspoon Kaffir Lime Zest or regular Lime Zest
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ¼ teaspoon White Pepper Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 3 tablespoon Cilantro Roots or finely chopped Cilantro
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon Water
- Combine all the ingredients (except water) in a high speed blender or use a mortar and pestle to ground them.
- Blend to a fine paste. Scrape the sides and add a little water (a tablespoon at a time) to blend everything until smooth.
- Use it for making Thai Green curry recipe or Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Can freeze for up to 3 months or refrigerate for over a year.
Ask Me Anything