Salmon Patties with Canned Salmon - When you can't find fresh Salmon, get a can of Salmon and quickly make this batch of Salmon patties.
Making Salmon Patties is so easy. It is simply combining canned Salmon with Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard, Green Onions, Red Pepper Flakes, Minced Garlic, Egg, Panko Breadcrumbs, shredded Parmesan Cheese, Salt, and Pepper. Making Patties in your hands. Freezing them or refrigerating them (so that they hold shape) and finally searing them in hot oil until golden brown.
If you have got canned Salmon and wondering what to do with it? Try making Salmon Pasta or simply make these easy Salmon Patties from scratch with me.
You can also use fresh Salmon to make Salmon Patties. In fact, it would be really great if you can get your hands on fresh salmon.
But, if you can't find fresh salmon and all you got is canned Salmon then go ahead and use them. I can tell you, you are going to love this Salmon Patty recipe.
Tips for Making this recipe:
- Allow Salmon patties to sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour before frying them or baking them.
- They will be wet so when they refrigerate, the moisture gets soaked up and the salmon patties hold their shape.
- While frying make sure your oil is smoking heat.
- Once you place the Salmon patties lower the heat and cook until golden brown on both sides.
Low Carb Salmon Patties
If you are wondering about the Carbs in Salmon patties or thinking how many calories do these Salmon patties have, then let me tell you something.
These Salmon patties are Keto and Low Carb. They contain just 260calories with less than 10g of carbs. I have not used flour to make these Salmon Patties. I have used Panko breadcrumbs instead. You can also use Almond Flour and skip Panko Breadcrumbs.
The trick to a healthy Salmon Patties Recipe is to simply bake them with some oil. Baked Salmon patties are much healthier than fried Salmon Patties.
If you want to make them healthier, you can cook them in your Air Fryer.
What Do I need to make this Recipe:
Here are the Ingredients for Salmon Patties.
- Canned Salmon or Fresh Salmon
- Dijon Mustard
- Chopped Green Onions
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Minced Garlic
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Salmon Patty?
Making Salmon patties is so easy. There are just two steps for making Salmon patties.
- First Step: Combine the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well with a spoon to combine. Make small patties and place them on a plate. Transfer the plate to your freezer for 1 hour or refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Second Step: Heat a pan with oil. Add patties one at a time into the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan. Sear the Salmon patties until they get a crispy golden brown skin on the outside. Flip over and cook the other side as well.
Salmon Patties in Air fryer
These days the number of things our Air Fryer can do is totally sweeping us off our feet. But, the point is, I haven't tried mine in Air Fryer. I am definitely going to try it and tell you how it turned out. My only concern is that these patties were not as dry as you'd expect a hamburger to be.
Baked Salmon Patties
Baked Salmon patties are just as tasty as fried Salmon patties. Baking Salmon patties will also lower the calorie count. To bake your Salmon patties, Preheat your oven to 425F and bake them for 15-minutes or until golden brown.
How to Make Salmon Patties with Crackers?
Though I have not used Crackers to make these salmon patties. But, in case you don't have breadcrumbs you can use crushed Saltine crackers to make salmon patties.
The entire recipe stays the same. You simply replace Panko Breadcrumbs with Saltine crackers. So, in case you are wondering how to make Salmon patties without breadcrumbs or if you are thinking about how to thicken your Salmon Patties batter without panko then use crushed saltine crackers. They are equally good if not better.
Sauce for Salmon Patties
You can serve your Salmon Patties with so many sauces:
- Creamy Mustard Sauce - Combine Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard, Sour Cream, Garlic Powder, Dill, and hot sauce.
- Dill Sauce - Mix Greek Yogurt, Dill leaves, Garlic Powder, and Salt.
- Creamy Garlic Sauce - Combine Mayonnaise, Minced Garlic, Heavy Cream, and Lemon Juice.
- Spicy Mayo - Combine Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard, Sriracha, and Lemon Juice.
- Sriracha Sauce - Combine Sriracha, Dill leaves, Mayonnaise, and Lemon Juice.
- Tartar Sauce - Combine Mayonnaise, Capers, diced Pickles, Lemon Juice, and fresh parsley.
- Tzatziki Sauce - Mix Greek Yogurt, Cucumber, lemon juice, Dill, Olive Oil, Salt, and minced Garlic.
- Lemon Caper Yogurt Sauce- Mix Greek Yogurt, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Ground Black Pepper, and Capers.
- Remoulade sauce - Combine Mayonnaise, Capers, Old Bay Seasoning, minced Garlic, lemon juice, and onions.
- Mustard Dill Sauce - Combine 1/4 cup Sour Cream, 1 tsp. Mustard, 1 tsp. Fresh Dill leaves, and some Salt.
What Do I Serve with Salmon Patties?
Wondering what goes with Salmon Patties? Salmon Patties can be paired with so many recipes. Here are some of my favorite Sides for Salmon patties.
But, if you are looking for something healthy then you can pair this with Onion Cucumber Tomato Corn Salad
Or Else, you can pair your Salmon patties with Cilantro Lime Quinoa. It's so healthy and would pair perfectly.
In case you want to serve them with something Asian then I would recommend these Roasted Miso carrots. So creamy and buttery.
So, these were some of my favorite Sides with Salmon patties.
How to Store these Patties?
Keep them in an airtight container and store them in your refrigerator. These Salmon Patties will last for up to 3-4 days when properly stored in the refrigerator. To reheat your Salmon patties, heat a pan with some canola oil. Place your salmon patties in hot oil for about 5-minutes on Medium-high heat. They should be crispy on the outside and warm in the center.
How do I Make Salmon Patties Gluten Free?
Yes, absolutely. Just replace regular panko breadcrumbs with Gluten-Free breadcrumbs. Make sure you use a good quality Gluten-Free Breadcrumb for the best flavor and texture.
Can I Make them Ahead of time?
Yes, you can definitely make your Salmon Patties ahead of time.
- Shape the Salmon patties with your hands and place them on a plate.
- Wrap the plate with plastic wrap or cling wrap.
- Transfer it to the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days.
- When you are ready to make them, just get them out and since they have been kept in the refrigerator they must have got a beautiful shape. Coat them in Panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake or Fry your Salmon patties and serve right away.
Other Recipes you can try:
- Soft and Fluffy Apple Fritters with Almond Milk
- Jalapeño Cheddar Cauliflower Fritters with Lemon Tabasco Aioli
- Low Carb Keto Zucchini Fritters without Flour
- Vegan Carrot and Potato Fritters
- Easy Cheesy Corn Fritters
If you are making this recipe then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how this turned out.
Salmon Patties with Canned Salmon
- 1 can (14.75 oz) Alaskan Pink Salmon (reduced sodium) flaked
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. Green Onions chopped
- 1 cups Japanese Style Panko Breadcrumbs divided
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1-2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper adjust as per taste
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil can replace with canola oil or vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the ingredients for Salmon patties. Use a spoon to mix everything.
- Take a small portion of the filling in between your hands. Shape them in the form of a patty of about 1/2 inch thickness. Place them on a clean parchment paper lined plate. Refrigerate for an hour.
- On a shallow plate spread some Panko breadcrumbs. Place Salmon patties (one by one) on the plate. Coat both sides of the patties with breadcrumbs.
- Sear: Heat a Pan with some oil. Once the oil gets hot, keep salmon patties one by one. Do not crowd the pan. Cook both sides on medium-low heat until crispy and lightly golden brown on the outside. Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes.ORBake: Preheat oven to 425°F and place the salmon patties in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake them for 15-17 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the outside. ORAir fry: Place these in the air fryer and cook @350F for 10-12 minutes. Serve with a sauce of your choice.
- Do not Make Salmon patties without refrigerating them. Refrigerating the patties before searing, helps get rid of excess moisture and they firm up and holds the shape perfectly.
- Instead of Panko breadcrumbs, you can also use crushed saltine crackers Or just shred a large slice of bread ( with the crust removed) and mix it with all the other ingredients.
- To make Salmon Patty gluten-free, use a good quality Gluten Free Breadcrumb.