These are the Best Pumpkin Cinnamon rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting that you'll be baking. Chewy on the outside. Soft and Ooey Gooey on the inside.
Easy and delicious this recipe for pumpkin cinnamon rolls will give you a perfect start to your crisp fall mornings. Alternatively you could make Healthy Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls or Banana Cinnamon Rolls or Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
In my home, during Christmas there is a tradition that we follow. Every year on 21st December we wake up at around 6:45 AM and all of get together to make the best ever Pumpkin Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting.
Then we enjoy these cinnamon buns and go for ice skating. Later in the day we clean up the attic and look for things that reminds us of our good old past.
More Pumpkin Breakfasts
- Easy Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- Easy Pumpkin Crinkle Cookies with Cake Mix
- No Bake Pumpkin Pie Energy Balls
- Pumpkin Waffles (Gluten Free Oat flour Pumpkin Waffles)
- The Simplest Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino Recipe
- Cinnamon Streusel Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chips Scones with Maple Glaze
Trader Joe's Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
I think the popularity of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Cinnamon rolls comes from the fact that it's less time consuming and all you have to do is just place the cinnamon rolls in a baking dish and enjoy.
But, trust me, making them is equally fun.
Whether you want to recreate your happy family memories or want to send them over to someone or if you are like me and you are just doing this for your kitchen to smell like a magical fall wonderland. I totally understand.
Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls are irresistibly delicious and totally something that you can try.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
To Make the Cinnamon Roll Dough
- Milk - I use whole milk for best taste. Low fat milk or nondairy milk may not give you a desired texture.
- butter - to make the best ever cinnamon roll dough.
- Pumpkin Puree - to give real pumpkin flavor to these gorgeous Pumpkin cinnamon rolls.
- salt - salt controls the yeast in the recipe. And, makes them super fluffy at the end. Moreover without salt your cinnamon rolls will be quite bland.
- Granulated Sugar - to sweeten the cinnamon rolls and also to help the buns rise.
- Ground Cinnamon - To add a pinch of flavor to our cinnamon rolls.
- Quick Rise Yeast or Instant Yeast - I like quick rise yeast or instant yeast because they help the buns rise faster. You can also use active dry yeast but keep in mind that it will take longer for your buns to rise.
- Egg - to help the dough rise and make it fluffy.
- all purpose flour - the standard and simply the best.
To Make the Filling
- Dark Brown sugar - to add more richness to the filling. You can replace this with light brown sugar.
- Spices - I like to use ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cardamom, all spice, ground nutmeg, and a pinch of ground cloves. You can replace this with your pumpkin pie spice.
To Make the Frosting
- Cream Cheese - since we are making a cream cheese frosting.
- Butter - to add richness to the frosting
- confectioners' sugar - to make the frosting sweet.
- vanilla extract - to add a beautiful nutty fragrance to the frosting.
Pillsbury Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Well, we all love those packed Pillsbury Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls. But, do you know that in real making them is actually quite fun and not as time consuming as you might imagine.
Making the best pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls is way easier than you imagine.
And, with this recipe pumpkin cinnamon rolls will be totally outstanding.
For your convenience I have divided the Pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls recipe into four parts.
Make the dough and let it rise (1st rise)
- STEP 1: Microwave butter and milk in a bowl until the milk is partially warm. Keep aside.
- STEP 2: Combine Pumpkin Puree, granulated sugar, salt, and ground cinnamon in a separate bowl and keep it aside.
- STEP 3: Mix butter and milk mixture with the Pumpkin Mixture. Whisk in one egg and quick rise/ Instant yeast.
- STEP 4: Combine all purpose flour and knead until it forms a soft dough. see note 1*
- STEP 5: Grease a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer the dough. Cover the dough using a soft wet towel or a plastic wrap or an aluminium foil and let it rise.
note 1: you can use the dough hook or paddle attachment to knead the dough. But, I like to go traditional and use my hands to knead the dough. That way I can keep a check on the texture of the dough.
Roll the dough and Make the filling
- STEP 1: Punch the dough and transfer it to a lightly floured non-stick silicone mat or a lightly floured work surface.
- STEP 2: Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Make sure the dough is evenly thick from all sides. see note 2*
- STEP 3: Spread softened butter on the rolled cinnamon roll dough.
- STEP 4: Combine dark/light brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground spices in a bowl. Spoon it out over the rolled-out cinnamon bun dough. Spread it out evenly.
- STEP 5: Roll it up tightly from one end. Use a sharp knife or floss to cut out 10-12 equal sized cinnamon rolls. I prefer 1-inch sections.
note 2: you should be able to roll the dough easily. Meaning - it should be stretchable. This is the prime reason we are using yeast. If you find the dough is shrinking, then just stop rolling and allow the dough to rest further for another 20-minutes.
Let them rise again (2nd rise)
- STEP 1: Transfer Pumpkin Spiced cinnamon rolls into a greased and lined 9x13 inch baking dish or a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- STEP 2: Cover them with a plastic wrap or an aluminium foil or a clean kitchen towel.
- STEP 3: Allow these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls to rise once again for an additional 35-40 minutes or at least 1 hour.
Bake the Cinnamon Rolls
- STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- STEP 2: Remove the plastic wrap/kitchen towel from the cinnamon rolls and transfer into a preheated oven.
- STEP 3: Bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the edges. see note 3*
- STEP 4: Allow the cinnamon rolls to cool down for 5-minutes before frosting.
note 3: You want to under-bake your cinnamon buns a little. This will keep them ooey-gooey in the center.
Make the cream cheese frosting
- STEP 1: In a bowl combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, butter, and vanilla extract.
- STEP 2: Whisk with a hand-held mixer until you see stiff peaks.
- STEP 3: Spread them over your best ever spiced Pumpkin cinnamon rolls and enjoy right away.
How to make overnight Pumpkin Cinnamon rolls
- Make the dough and let it rise for the 1st time.
- After the 1st rise, roll the dough, and spread the filling.
- Roll it up tightly. And cut them using a floss or a sharp knife.
- Transfer them to a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cover and place them in the fridge overnight.
- Next morning, leave them on the counter for 1 hour and allow them to come to room temperature. (This is the 2nd rise)
- Next bake them as instructed.
How to freeze Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Freezing before baking: Make the dough. Allow the 1st rise. Roll it up into a rectangle. Sprinkle the filling. Roll it up tightly and place it seam side down. Use a sharp knife to cut them into 1-inch buns. Now place them in a greased baking dish. Cover with a plastic wrap/aluminium foil and freeze. Make sure you thaw it for 30-45 minutes at room temperature (also known as The 2nd Rise) before baking.
- Freezing after baking: When I want to freeze them after baking, I like to skip the frosting. Allow the cinnamon rolls to cool down completely. You can freeze the entire pan. Cover the pan with a plastic wrap. And then freeze. Alternatively, you can freeze individual pieces of Pumpkin cinnamon rolls. For that wrap each piece with a plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container. Freeze them. When ready to consume, allow them to thaw for 1 hour at room temperature. Or warm them up in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Then enjoy.
Can I use Freshly Pureed Pumpkin for this recipe
Yes you can use freshly Pureed Pumpkin for this recipe. But, keep in mind that homemade pumpkin puree contains a lot of liquid. And, liquid weighs down the dough.
So, in that case, spread pumpkin puree on a blotting paper. Allow the blotting paper to soak as much moisture as it can.
Roll the blotting paper in an outward direction and then you'll have homemade Pumpkin Puree that's in the best condition for use.
More Brunch treats you'll love
- French Toast Casserole
- Chocolate Cinnamon French Toast
- Apple Sheet Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting
- Caramel Apple Crumble Cheesecake
- Best Gingerbread cookies Recipe
- Moist Homemade Gingerbread Loaf
- Gingerbread Crumb Cake
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients to Make the Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk I use whole milk. I don't recommend low fat or dairy free milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree homemade or canned (see note 1)
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2¼ teaspoon quick rise yeast/ Instant Yeast You can replace with active dry yeast (see notes 2)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups all purpose flour or bread flour more 2-4 tablespoon for dusting
Ingredients to Make the Cinnamon Roll filling
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
Ingredients to make the Cream Cheese frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Making the Dough
- Microwave butter and milk in a microwave safe bowl until the milk is lightly warm (100 degrees F). Keep it aside.
- In a separate bowl combine Pumpkin Puree, Granulated Sugar, Salt, and ground nutmeg.
- Whisk in one egg.
- Add in quick rise yeast/Instant Yeast along with flour.
- Use the dough attachment or a paddle attachment to make the dough. Or simply use your hands to make a soft dough.
The 1st Rise
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap or an aluminium foil or a clean kitchen towel.
- Let the dough rise for 35-45 minutes or 1 hour. (1st RISE) at room temperature.
Roll the dough and Fill it up
- Lightly flour your work surface and transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Flour your rolling pin and roll the dough to a 14x9 inch rectangle. Keep it thick same from all sides. (see note 3*)
- Spread softened butter on the rolled-out dough.
- Combine brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground cardamom, and ground ginger in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the filling on the rolled-out dough. Spread it out evenly.
- Roll the dough tightly from the 9-inch side. And place it seam side down.
- Use a sharp knife or a floss to cut out 1-inch pieces.
- Keep in mind that you will have to eliminate the sides because they won't contain much filling.
The 2nd Rise (Cover and Let them rise again)
- Lightly greases a 9x13 inch baking dish and line it with a parchment paper.
- Place the cinnamon rolls on the prepared baking dish. Don't keep any gap between the cinnamon rolls. They bake into each other.
- Cover the pan with a plastic wrap or an aluminium foil or a clean kitchen towel.
- Allow them to rise once again (also known as the 2nd rise) for another 35-45 minutes in a warm 100°F oven. or 50-60 minutes at room temperature.
Bake the cinnamon rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Remove the cover. Brush the tops with 1 tablespoon softened butter and transfer the cinnamon rolls into a preheated oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the edges (see note 4*)
- Remove from oven. Allow the cinnamon rolls to cool down completely (15 minutes) before frosting.
Make the Frosting
- Combine the ingredients for frosting in a bowl of electric mixer. Use your hand held mixer to whisk the ingredients to form stiff peaks.
- Spread the frosting on the cinnamon rolls.