Moroccan Beet Salad is a refreshing and zesty salad recipe which is so appetizing. Beet cubes and Garlic cloves are roasted in the oven and then tossed with cilantro, red chili powder, lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, and dry roasted cumin powder. This Moroccan Beetroot Salad has a refreshing, colorful, and flavorful taste. Also, this is extremely healthy and will improve your appetite, especially on hot summer days or when you feel like not eating anything.
Let's talk about the Taste
This salad is so refreshing and appetizing. There is a wonderful freshness to this due to the cilantro and lemon juice. The lemon zest does its magic by making this especially refreshing. Also, the dry roasted cumin powder along with the Red Chili powder brings in a complementing sweet and spicy flavor to this salad. The best part is the beet. It doesn't taste like beets at all. It just adds to the salad without making it boring.
How to make Moroccan Beet Salad
To make this Moroccan Beet salad, first, chop the beetroot. Peel the skin of the Beetroot, chop off the head and the tail of it. Then cut circles of it. Go on and cut it into small cubes.
Place these chopped beetroots along with unpeeled Garlic cloves in a baking tray. Drizzle some olive oil over it and pop it in the oven for 45 minutes at 370°F or 200°C.
Meanwhile, mince the Red Onions. Toss it into a bowl along with some Chopped Cilantro, Lemon zest, Lemon Juice, Red Chili Powder, Vinegar, salt, ground black pepper, and olive oil.
Also, you need to make dry roasted Cumin powder for this salad. For this, take a cast-iron skillet and once it's heated, add two teaspoons of Cumin seeds to it. Put the heat to high and dry roast your cumin seeds. Do not wait for the entire batch of cumin to turn black-ish, or else what you'll have is burnt cumin. So, just when the sides start to turn black, get it off the heat and take it out on a rolling board. Use a rolling pin to roll over it and you'll see how easily, it'll turn into a smooth powder. This spice is extremely flavorful and works like magic on Middle Eastern recipes, especially on salads and dressings.
So sprinkle this flavorful spice over the salad and mix well until combined. Serve immediately or serve it chilled.
How to store this Salad?
Wrap the salad with a cling film or aluminum foil and store it in the fridge. You can store this salad for up to 3 days. If it feels dry when you are having it later, you can squeeze some lemon juice and then enjoy it.
Moroccan Beet Salad
- 4-5 Medium Beets scrubbed and Peeled
- 2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ Cup Red Onion minced
- ½ teaspoon White Vinegar
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder or smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro (coriander)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Grounded Black Pepper
- 1½ Tablespoon Olive Oil
- After you've scrubbed and peeled the beet, cut them into small cubes. Add 1-2 teaspoon of Olive Oil on a half-sheet pan and place the beets. Wrap them with a foil. Roast them at 375F or 190C for 45-50 minutes or until fork-tender. For roasting the Garlic, you can place them whole in the same pan with olive oil on it. Cover it with an aluminum foil and roast in the oven for about 40-45 minutes.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and make a powder. Add red onion, beet greens, cilantro and roasted cumin powder, fresh lemon juice lemon zest, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well.
- Once the beets have cooled down add them in the bowl with other veggies.
- You can refrigerate this salad for 1 hour or 30-minutes and then serve.
- You can also cook the Beet in Pressure cooker that will take around 30-35 minutes.
- You can roast the garlic in the saucepan.
Ask Me Anything