If you are looking for some Halloween chicken wings ideas, then this is the one you should choose.
I know it looks gross, and honestly, I found it really creepy to eat. Just like these 75+ Creepy Halloween Food Ideas for Parties
But it fits well with the theme, and that's what we needed.
This recipe for Black Bat wings is just what you need when looking for "scary Halloween foods for parties."
Made using 7-basic-ingredient and homemade Barbecue Sauce, this is the only Halloween party appetizer for adults, which is both - fun to make and eat.
You may also like: Halloween Oreo bat cupcakes
Halloween themed chicken wings
When it's time to serve the 'real food' and people are tired and hungry from the fun, you don't want to serve them something that's not Halloween.
You wanna serve them something that's in-line with the theme.
And that's when this spooky recipe for Halloween bat wings comes into play.
You can also make Halloween Mummy Pizza Bites
Sweet and Sour black chicken wings recipe
You can make a sweet and sour sauce for your black chicken wings. The sauce can be made of soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sweet chili sauce, barbecue sauce, and olive oil.
If you don't have sweet chili sauce, use the same amount of Pineapple juice and 1/4 cup of honey.
Alternatively, you can also use Pineapple chili sauce at home.
Ingredients for Halloween Bat wings food
What is bat wings made of? Bat wings are made of bone-in chicken wings. We make a black sauce and coat the chicken wings with that sauce.
Then we simply bake the black bat wings and Lo, there it is. ta-da!
- bone-in chicken wings
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Sweet chili sauce
- barbecue sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- Black food coloring
How do you make black bat wings?
- STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 F or 200 C. Arrange chicken wings in a large 9x9 inch baking dish.
- STEP 2: Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper as per taste.
- STEP 3: In a bowl, combine olive oil, BBQ sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Add black food coloring to your desired shade. It totally depends on you, and the kind of color you're using.
- STEP 4: Pour some of the sauce over the wings. Drench the wings in sauce.
- STEP 5: Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- STEP 6: Remove from oven, brush the remaining sauce over the wings. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- STEP 7: Remove from oven and serve.
Similarly, you can make Halloween Mummy Hot Dogs
- BBQ Sauce - If you don't wanna make bbq sauce at home then you can go with Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce. But, the homemade sauce tastes much better.
- Sweet Chili Sauce - I used Thai Kitchen's Sweet Chili Sauce. You can use any other brand's sauce that you like. If you don't have sweet chili sauce you can use the same quantity of pineapple juice and 1/4 cup of honey.
- Brown Sugar - I really don't like the taste of brown sugar so I skipped it. But if you love the caramelization that brown sugar brings to the wings then feel free to go with it.
- Hot Sauce - If you don't like BBQ Sauce you can make my Homemade Hot Sauce or use Frank's Wings Hot sauce.
- Paprika - If you find the sauce too sweet then you can add 1 teaspoon paprika.
- Garlic Powder - If you love the taste of Garlic Powder in your wings, you can use that for your Halloween bat wings.
You should def. Be trying this - Halloween Chocolate Spiderweb Pie for desserts
What is bat wings made of?
Unlike what anyone would think when they first hear the term - "bat wings," they have got nothing to do with actual bats. In fact, these are bone-in chicken wings that are coated in a sweet and savory Asian glaze.
The Asian glaze adds a mild heat and a sweet as well as a tangy touch to the wings.
Can I skip black color?
Yes. If you find the black color really creepy on food just like I did, you may decide to skip it altogether.
You can bake chicken wings with the sweet and sour Asian glaze.
More Halloween recipes:
- BEST Disney Themed Halloween Party Food Ideas
- Spooky Halloween Party Food Recipes
- Halloween Cupcake recipes ideas
Halloween 'bat' Chicken Wings Recipe || Black Chicken Wings
- 1½ pound bone-in chicken wings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup Sweet chili sauce
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- Black food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 400 F or 200 C. Arrange the chicken wings in a baking dish.
- Season the wings with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, BBQ sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Add black food coloring to your desired shade.
- Pour some of the sauce over the wings.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush the remaining sauce over the wings. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.