Dark Chocolate Peppermint truffles with cocoa powder and cream cheese is a classic No-bake Christmas Dessert that can be made in no time. Just like these Peppermint Cheesecake Oreo Truffles
To make these Chocolate peppermint truffles all you need are some Oreo crumbs, dark chocolate squares, cocoa powder, cream cheese, Peppermint Extract, and melting chocolate wafers.
You can surely use them as Christmas Gifts that you'd want to gift people. I am definitely gonna use these Peppermint Truffles as Christmas gifts for my family. Just like my White Chocolate Covered Graham Crackers with Peppermint, Buttery Santa Kiss Cookies, Buttery Walnut Snowball Cookies
My family members wait for me to send them something every year. And, every year since the time I moved in with my Husband, I have been sending something or the other as Christmas gifts to my family.
Now, it has become a tradition. So, basically, what I do is bake them ahead of time, pack them in an air-tight container, and pop it in the freezer.
These Dark Chocolate Peppermint truffles are made with Cream cheese and therefore they have a firm texture. You can also make it with heavy whipping cream, but, I like cream cheese more!
Ingredients you'll Need to make Dark Chocolate Mint Truffles?
- Oreo Dark Chocolate creme Chocolate Sandwich Cookies - Basically, we'll make crumbs of these Oreos.
- Dark chocolate shavings (cut out from Dark chocolate Squares) - Adding these dark chocolate shavings brings in a rich chocolaty taste in our dark chocolate peppermint truffles.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - I generally like my truffles dark and bitter. So I use unsweetened cocoa powder which is 100% cocoa.
- Cream Cheese
- Peppermint Extract - Please do not go for Mint Extract or Spearmint Extract. Go for Pure Peppermint Extract.
- Melting Chocolate Wafers
- Peppermint Holiday Candy Cane (crushed)
How to Make Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles?
- First, take a pack of Oreos and blend it into a food processor to make its crumbs.
- Into that add some chocolate shavings.
- Now add some cocoa powder and cream cheese.
- Finally, add a drop of Peppermint extract and mix everything well.
- Use a spoon to scoop out one portion of truffle and make a ball with your hands. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Now freeze the Oreo truffles in the freezer for up to 30-minutes or until completely set.
- In the meantime melt dark chocolate melting wafers in the oven at 30-second increment.
- Once your truffles are ready, dip them in melted chocolate and place them on the baking sheet.
- Top with some crushed peppermint candy canes and simply drizzle the remaining chocolate on the truffles. And then these are done!
Things to Keep in mind while making Peppermint Truffles with Cream Cheese
- You cannot confuse between Mint Extract and Peppermint Extract. And, You cannot use Mint Extract in place of Peppermint extract. While we are shopping in the extract aisle of the grocery store, these might seem similar but there is a difference.
- Basically, Mint extract is a combination of Spearmint and Peppermint. Spearmint has lower menthol content(0.5%), while Peppermint has higher menthol content (29-48%) Therefore peppermint goes well with chocolate. In this recipe, you've got to use Pure Peppermint Extract.
- I like my Peppermint truffles to be dark and rich. Therefore I use unsweetened cocoa powder with 100% cocoa along with 92% cacao Dark Chocolate Squares for the chocolate shavings. If you want your Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles to be slightly on the sweeter side, you can replace this with semi-sweet chocolate.
Peppermint Dark Chocolate Truffles - Substitutions & Replacements
I always leave scope for replacements and substitutions in my recipe so that even if you don't have everything that this recipe calls for you can still make it with whatever you got. But please do not substitute the things which I do not mention. Like, in this recipe if you substitute mint with Peppermint your truffle will taste like toothpaste.
- You can replace Dark Chocolate Squares with Semi-Sweet Chocolate Squares.
- Instead of Cream Cheese, you can use Heavy Whipping cream or your regular Heavy Cream in its place. But, please do not substitute this with Milk. When you are using heavy Whipping cream, let it come to a boil and then remove from the heat. Now let it sit for 2-minutes and then add Oreo Crumbs followed by the ingredients mentioned in the recipe.
- Instead of Melting Chocolate wafers, you can use Semi-Sweet Chocolate. You'll have to melt it the same way you melt melting chocolate wafers. At an increment of 30-second in the oven.
- In case you are allergic to peppermint or you don't like its taste then you can replace peppermint with Orange extract. Orange and Chocolate makes an excellent combo. See my Chocolate Orange Mocha Cake!
How to Store Peppermint Chocolate Truffles?
These Dark Chocolate Peppermint truffles make an excellent Christmas Gift that you can send to your loved ones. To store them all you have to do, is keep them in an air-tight container with parchment paper in each layer. But, Please Make sure the container is air-tight. They should be fine for a few weeks!
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap of your Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik and tag me @recipemagik.
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
For Dark Chocolate Peppermint truffles
- 1 Cup OREO Crumbs OREO Dark Chocolate Flavored Creme Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. (10-OREOS)
- ½ Cup Chocolate Shavings cut from Dark Chocolate Squares 79g
- 2 Teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese
- ½ Teaspoon Pure Peppermint Extract
For Chocolate Coating
- 10 Oz Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers
For Peppermint Candy Topping
- 10-20 count Peppermint Holiday Candy Canes crushed
- In a medium-sized bowl mix Oreo Crumbs with Chocolate shavings, cocoa powder, cream cheese, and pure peppermint extract. Mix until everything comes together. Now scoop out one spoon of the mixture and roll it between your hands to form small truffles. Keep them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop it in the freezer for 30-minutes. In the meantime melt dark chocolate melting wafers.
- Place the dark chocolate melting wafers in a microwave-safe dish. Melt it in the oven at a 30-second increment. Stirring after every 30-second until it is completely smooth.
- Now place your truffles into the bowl with melted dark chocolate. Coat your Peppermint truffles in chocolate completely. Use two spoons and tap on the edge of the bowl to drip off excess chocolate. Place it on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Now top with crushed Peppermint Holiday Candy Canes on each truffle. Use a fork to drizzle the remaining melted dark chocolate on the truffles to make it look prettier.You can store it in the freezer when properly packed in an air-tight container with parchment paper between each layer.
- Please do not use Spearmint extract or Mint extract in place of Peppermint extract.
- You can use semi-sweet chocolate in place of dark chocolate squares.
Michelle Sharpe says
This is hands down the best ever Dark Chocolate Peppermint Truffles I have ever tried!! Made these last night and this reminded me of the store bought ones which I used to buy as a kid!!
Just the perfect hint of Peppermint along with Chocolate is oh so GOOD!!!