Soft Thumbprint cookies with a dash of chocolaty M&Ms and the velvety Chocolate Ganache with the chewy after flavor of the sprinkles make these Easter Thumbprint cookies one of the best Easter cookies recipes there is. These Thumbprint Cookies are easily the easiest, softest and delicious Easter cookies recipes you can make.
Easter season sees my love for all things Pastel. I am a huge lover of Pastel colors and when I see it on my plate, I can't help but fall in love with it. I make it a point to bake cute Easter desserts, which are all pastel-colored and look so adorable that you really do not want to eat them, but still, after a minute you're like - no, I need that!
Soft Easter Thumbprint Cookies
Today I made these soft and Cute Easter Thumbprint Cookies. Thumbprint Cookies are the staple cookies that I bake for the holidays. Holiday Thumbprint Cookies, especially for Christmas are those mandatory red and green M&M cookies. While I love those Christmas Thumbprint cookies, I am not crazy about those. Whereas Easter being the start of spring, inspires me to use so many more colors in my recipes and also in these colorful Thumbprint M&M cookies.
Easter being just a day festival, many people ignore making special dishes for the occasion. However, we host our annual Easter brunch for just our family members and for that occasion, I bake so much, around this time of the year, that it's almost crazy. Well, my extended family is actually huge. We have around 35-30 people on the guest list this year as well! So, I just love to treat them to my latest baking adventures and they too are super supportive actually!
Anyways, so since it's Easter, I thought of baking these cute and soft Easter thumbprint cookies with some pastel-colored M&Ms. These came out so much better from my expectations. When you bite into one of these Easter thumbprint cookies, you'll actually taste the cookie dough, which is moist and super soft. However, there is a gorgeous crust on the top, that'll tell you that these M&M cookies are perfectly baked and needs no further baking. The best part is the chocolate ganache. It gels so well with the crunchy and Cadbury like the taste of the M&Ms and brings in that extra flavor of chocolate to your usual vanilla cookies.
How to bake soft Easter Thumbprint Cookies
To bake these Easter Thumbprint Cookies, I started by creaming the Butter and Brown Sugar. I whisked my Butter and sugar at high speed for about 4-5 minutes.
Then I sieved the dry ingredients mixture (flour, baking soda, and baking powder) to my creamed wet mixture. I whisked it all at high speed for 2-3 minutes. Finally, to this, I added some Yogurt and some Vinegar. I make eggless Thumbprint cookies, so I use Yogurt and Vinegar. If you're using Eggs then you can add Whole Eggs at this stage.
Finally, I added a spoon of Vanilla Essence and whisked my cookie dough until it was tight. And, lastly, I put these Easter M&M Cookies for baking in a 375 F preheated oven for 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, I made my chocolate ganache by melting my chocolate and butter on a double boiler and once they were silky and smooth, I took them out on a separate bowl.
After 7 minutes, I took the cookies out and while they were hot, I used my thumb and also my middle finger to make small holes in the center of the cookies. I just pressed it lightly and carefully so that my cookies do not break.
To this, I filled in my Chocolate ganache and then I just placed a single piece of M&Ms to these cookies. Finally, I allowed these cookies to chill on a cooling rack and within 10 minutes they were done.
Easter Thumbprint Cookies - Troubleshooting Tips
- If you see that your cookie dough is too runny, it is because you might have added more of the baking agents. To rectify this, add more flour and knead the dough with your hand to make it tighter. Although don't over knead it.
- I have made Eggless Easter Thumbprint Cookies. If you too want to make Eggless Thumbprint Cookies, just add Yogurt and White Vinegar and it'll work the same as Eggs work and no one will able to tell.
- Do not make a thumbprint on the cookies, while you put them for baking for the first time. Your cookies will flatten due to the space created and all your efforts will go in vain. To make the Thumbprints, you will have to want until your Cookies are baked at least for 7 minutes.
- Make thumbprints while the cookies are still hot from the oven. Do not wait to cool down your cookies. Make thumbprints while the cookies are hot. Cookies cool down really quickly and if you try to make thumbprints after they've cooled down, they will break.
- Press your thumb lightly to make a small thumbprint. You can also your middle finger or forefinger for a better grip and easier access. Also, do not press really deep. Just a light push will be enough to make a small hole on top of your cookies.
- Make the chocolate ganache while your cookies are baking. Do not bake it in advance. Or else, your chocolate ganache will tighten and you won't be able to spoon it into your thumbprints, within the cookies.
- You can also use the readymade Chocolate sauce to fill in the thumbprints on top of the cookies. It'll reduce your workload and shall be so much easier to handle.
- Finally, after you have spooned the chocolate ganache and placed the M&Ms on your cookies, allow it to chill before you have it. The cookies are probably still soft and need to stay in the hot baking tray for a while before you get them out on the cooling rack.
Soft Easter Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Butter Room Temperature
- ½ teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 Cup Refined flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
For Chocolate Ganache
- ¼ Cup Chopped Dark Chocolate
- ¼ Cup Butter
For Cookies Decoration
- 8 Pieces Colorful M&Ms
- Pre Heat your Oven to 375 F
Prepare the Dry Ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, mix together Flour, Baking soda and Baking Powder
Prepare the Wet Ingredients
- In another mixing Bowl, whisk Butter and Sugar for 4-5 minutes using a hand held mixer at high speed.
Mix the dry and wet ingredients together
- Sieve the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and fold it with a wooden or silicon spatula
- To this add Vinegar, Yogurt and Vanilla Essence
- Whisk this mixture using a hand held blender for2-3 minutes or until cookie dough is formed.
- Line a 11*8 Baking tray with Parchment paper.
- Use your palms to make small sized balls of the cookie dough and place it on the baking tray
- Bake your cookies for 7 minutes and 375F
Make Chocolate Ganache
- Melt chopped dark chocolate with Butter on a double boiler.
- Stir well using a wooden or silicon spatual untill all are well combined
- After 7 minutes of baking the cookies allow them to be in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Take out the cookies and use your thumb to make small thumbprint over the cookies
- Fill the holes with some chocolate ganache
- To this place one small M&Ms and allow the cookies to chill