Easy Cucumber and Red Onion Salad with dill and Sour cream will make for an excellent side for your summer cookouts and picnics. The creamy and crunchy texture of this salad pairs perfectly with grilled meat.
Salads like these are like a bowl of healthy happiness with so much creaminess and so much crunch. The crunch of the onions and cucumber along with the creamy sour cream makes this Summer Salad taste awesome. Just as this creamy Deli-Style Macaroni Salad and this Summer Corn Salad.
A VIDEO TUTORIAL To make this easier FOR YOU 🙂
This salad goes extremely well with roasted veggies and grilled recipes such as this grilled tofu. In fact, you would love to make this salad for a picnic or a potluck or a summer cookout. It's exactly what makes the summer parties deliciously exciting.
Let's Make Creamy Cucumber and Red Onion Salad with dill and Sour cream
Salads like these should be made every single day. But, only if Summer lasted all through the year or we were literally having “500 Days of Summer” then this salad would be my ultimate side.
What I loved about this Salad was the ease with which I could make it. Can you believe that this recipe took just 5 minutes from me? Ok! 7 if you count chopping as well. But, seriously, making this salad was a cakewalk. Anyone can make it. And, I suggest everyone should make it. Why should you keep yourself away from this creaminess?
The most poignant taste of this Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad is the Crunch. When you take the first bite of this Salad, you can’t help but notice the crunch. The sweet sound of crunchiness beautifully marinated with the creaminess of sour cream feels irreplaceably GOOD. Moreover, just a simple humble seasoning of Salt and Pepper feels so minimal and yet SO GOOD. Guess, sometimes less is more. And in this case, this is soo true.
I really can’t wait to serve this alongside some grilled veggies or some grilled meat. Well, I would choose meat with this Salad.
What are the other variations of this Recipe?
- Use Yogurt instead of Sour Cream – Both of them would work like a charm for this Salad. So, it depends on what you have at home at the moment.
- Use Parsley or Mint in place of Dill leaves – Yes! Dill Leaves look good and also taste amazing. In fact, Dill and cucumbers are a match made in heaven. But, who in this world doesn’t like Parsley right? So, use them up. It would make it look and taste so fresh. Well, I would also suggest that you use some Mint in case you don’t have parsley or dill at home. After all who doesn’t love some minty freshness in their salads right?
- Use Apple Cider Vinegar in place of White Vinegar – Yes! Apple Cider Vinegar would infuse a fruity GOODNESS in this Salad that would, in turn, make the Salad soo appetizing.
Can I store this Salad?
Yes, you can keep this covered with a plastic wrap and then keep it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. It would stay fine. I found the onions and cucumbers to be a little less crunchy, but the overall taste was on par.
What Kind of Cucumber Have I used?
I generally prefer using English Cucumber instead of American Cucumber for this Salad. You see the thing is that American Salad has got lots of seeds and that would just ruin the taste of this salad. So, I recommend that you go to an English Cucumber while making this Salad.
How do I increase the heat of this Salad?
Well, this salad is generally had this way. But you can always customize according to the demands of your taste buds. So, if you like spicy salads or you feel like you need some more heat in this Salad, just add some Jalapenos. They would help you infuse heat and make it taste just the way you want it to be.
How should the Onions be Chopped?
While making this Salad, don’t cut the Onions as you’d do for a curry. Rather make half-moons and make thin long strands. Long strands of onions just like the half-moon would make it look good and even add a lot more crunch in the Salad.
What should this be served with?
This Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad should be served with some grilled veggies or grilled meat. But, I would also serve this with Hamburgers or steaks. In short, this is a perfect salad for your summer cookouts, picnics, and potlucks.
What does Creamy Cucumber Red Onion Salad taste like?
You taste a perfect balance of sweetness and sourness. The sweetness comes from onions and castor sugar. While the sourness comes from vinegar and of course – sour cream. Moreover, the crunchy texture of this Salad coated in a creamy dressing would make it taste just perfect.
Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad
- ½ Cup Cucumber
- ½ Cup Red Onions cut in Half-moon
- 4 tablespoon Sour Cream
- ½ teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Castor Sugar
- ⅓ tablespoon Salt or as per taste
- ½ tablespoon Pepper or as per taste
- ½ Cup Dill Leaves
- Mix Sour Cream, Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, and Pepper until nice and creamy.
- Chop one red onion in half moon and small rounds of Cucumber. Pour the dressing all over the chopped veggies.
- Garnish with some freshly chopped dill leaves.
Other Salads to try this season
- Cucumber Onion Tomato Corn Salad
- Chickpea Salad with Honey and Fish Sauce Dressing
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Apple Orange Salad with Walnuts and Mint Leaves
- Refreshing Pomegranate Orange Salad