Crockpot Zucchini Baked Ziti is a healthy Low Carb dinner recipe. This Zucchini Baked Ziti is a healthy dinner for the family. This Zucchini Baked Ziti gets baked to perfection in the slow cooker. It's cheesy, comforting and so good! Just like this Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna in Crockpot
This Zucchini Baked Ziti is a favorite American comfort food recipe. Cheesy, Gooey, and Delicious...🤤
Do you like cheesy Lasagna but hate the fuss of layering. Then you should try this dump and forget Zucchini baked Ziti recipe.
This Zucchini Baked Ziti is a great way to include Zucchini in your weeknight dinner rotations. It's a basic dump and forget dinner recipe which gets ready easily in the crockpot.
It's just like my Vegetarian Baked Ziti or Baked Rigatoni Bolognese or Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole. Loads of pasta tossed with marinara and three-cheese mixture and topped with loads of cheese. 🤤🤤🤤
😋 Comfort Food Recipe
Baked Ziti is a classic American recipe that is baked pasta along with some meat. Meatless versions are equally popular. The best thing about Baked Ziti is the meaty sauce with loads of cheese on top!
This Zucchini Baked Ziti is a take on the same. It's rather healthy, Meatless and so Delicious.
- Marinara Sauce
- Penne or Ziti Pasta (uncooked)
- Salt & Pepper
- Cottage Cheese (low fat)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: Make Three Cheese Mixture
- In a bowl combine Cottage Cheese (low fat), Mozzarella Cheese and Parmesan Cheese. Season the Three Cheese Mixture with Salt, Pepper, and Italian Seasoning. Keep it aside.
STEP 2: Dump and Forget
- Grease the inside of the Crockpot with Olive Oil
- Pour the Marinara Sauce and spread it evenly at the bottom of the pot.
- Next, throw in the uncooked Pasta and chopped Zucchini.
- Top with the Three Cheese mixture and season with some salt and cracked pepper
- Toss to combine
- Top with Mozzarella Cheese
- Cover and Cook on low for 2 hours
STEP 3: Serve
- After 2 hours, get the pasta out of the Crockpot and Serve immediately.
🍲 A One-Pot Meal
What I love the most about Zucchini Baked Ziti is that it's a one-pot meal. Especially during sultry hot days when it's impossible to spend all day in the kitchen, making this in the Crockpot seems like the only logical thing to do.😋
If you want, you can add cooked Ground Beef along with Marinara Sauce. It's totally up to you, how you want to customize this recipe.
Hint: The key to the best Zucchini Baked Ziti is to use Uncooked Pasta. You do not want the Pasta to get overcooked or even remain undercooked.
Using uncooked Pasta is a great option because it will allow the Pasta to cook gradually in the sauce
Precooked Pasta will get squishy after getting baked for 2 hours in the slow cooker. Also, try my Bruschetta Chicken Pasta - Slow Cooker / Instant Pot or Chicken Parm Pasta
These are some possible substitutions in this recipe.
- Ground Beef - You can cook Ground Beef in a saute pan with marinara sauce and then add it to the lower layer of the Crockpot
- Whole Grain Ziti - I would recommend you to use Whole Grain Ziti or Penne Pasta for best results. It's delicious as well as healthy!
See this Baked Rigatoni with Ziti Recipe. Its easy and so good!
You can easily store this Zucchini Baked Ziti in the freezer for 3-4 days. After this gets cooked, transfer to a freezer-friendly dish with a glass lid. Cover tightly and freeze it. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven before serving. This can be frozen for about a week.
💯 Top tips to make this recipe
- To avoid Baked Ziti from drying out, you need to add enough sauce while cooking the Ziti. The major concern people have while cooking Zucchini Baked Ziti is that the Pasta dries out easily. To avoid that, you need enough sauce to toss your Pasta with. The sauce will flavor the pasta adequately and also get them cooked.
- To avoid the pasta on the edges dry out add enough sauce on the edges as well. Exposed Noodles will dry out. So make sure that they are well covered in sauce.
- Do not add water to cook the Pasta. As the water won't dry out in the slow cooker and shall make your Zucchini Baked Ziti watery and the Pasta all squishy
- Generally, Baked Ziti is all about layers. However, I have skipped the layering process since this is an easy dup and forget dinner recipe. Nevertheless, you want, you can still take the traditional route and cook this Ziti with Layers.
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Crockpot Zucchini Baked Ziti (Low Carb)
Three Cheese Mixture
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese sub with Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
For the Pasta
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce
- 8 oz Ziti Pasta (uncooked) sub with Penne
- 2 medium sized Zucchini diced
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil to grease the pot
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese to top the pasta
- In a bowl combine Cottage Cheese with Mozzarella Cheese and Parmesan Cheese. Season the Cheese mixture with salt and pepper. Stir until combined and keep it aside.
- Grease the inside of the crockpot with olive oil. Pour Marinara Sauce at the bottom of the pot. Top with chopped Zucchini and then uncooked Pasta. Throw the Three Cheese Mixture over it. Toss to combine everything. Top with shredded Mozzarella Cheese. Cover and Cook on low for 2 hours.
- Serve this Zucchini Baked Ziti immediately.
Such a healthy baked ziti recipe!! I just love the use of Zucchini here😊😊
Anne Bailey says
Can you substitute eggplant for the zucchini?
YES of course! Eggplant makes for a perfect replacement for Zucchini in this baked Ziti recipe.