Crockpot chicken Fajita is your go-to recipe for all the busy days. Just dump everything in the slow cooker and forget about it for 6-7 hours. When you come home from a busy day, your dinner will be absolutely ready. Just like this Honey Bourbon Chicken, Crockpot Apricot Chicken, Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken or Crockpot Apple Butternut Squash Chicken.
Juicy chicken with tender veggies and that traditional fajita spice mix. Crockpot Chicken Fajita is a winning recipe.
Coming home from work after a busy day, feeling like ordering some food. We've all been there. But, nothing compares to coming home to a beautifully smelling kitchen.
Open the lid and serve your crockpot chicken fajitas in warm tortillas. Top with Mexican shredded cheese, Avocados, Guacamole, salsa, or simply some fresh chopped cilantro and enjoy it right away.
More Crockpot Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce (just 4-ingredients)
- Cajun Butter Crockpot Chicken Thighs and Rice
- Crockpot Chicken Thighs in Lemon Garlic Sauce
- Crockpot Greek Lemon Chicken Thighs with Veggies & Potatoes
- Crockpot Parmesan Chicken and Rice
- Crockpot Coconut Lime Chicken
- Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken with Sweet Pineapple Glaze
Of course, if you don't want to use a slow cooker, you can always use your oven to make this amazing sheet pan chicken fajitas (just the way it is traditionally made)
- Chicken Breasts - I like to stick to chicken breasts because chicken thighs tends to fall apart.
- Tomatoes - I like to use Fresh Roma Tomatoes. Peel them up and chop them like they did back then. You can always use a can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes.
- Three Kinds of Bell Pepper - You can use red, yellow, and green bell pepper. Slice them up and use it in your fajita.
- Yellow or White or Red Onion - It doesn't matter what kind of onion you use.
- Fajita Spice Mix - No need to buy fajita seasoning from the store. I'll help you make a fajita spice mix that is even better than the store-bought ones. You can thank me later. Just combine Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Sweet Paprika, brown sugar, Ground Cumin, Ground Coriander, Salt, and Pepper in a bowl. That's it. You just saved yourself 20 bucks.
- Lime Wedges - I prefer squeezing in some fresh lime juice to bright up the flavors.
- Tortillas - I like to stick to flour tortillas for this recipe.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Step 1: Make Fajita Mix
In a bowl combine the ingredients for Fajita Mix and keep it aside.
Step 2: Dump Everything in the Slow Cooker
Start with diced tomatoes (canned or fresh), chicken breasts, half of fajita spice mix, three kinds of bell pepper and onions. Toss lightly. Sprinkle the remaining fajita mix. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
Step 3: Slice chicken and Serve
Slice chicken or shred chicken. Serve in warm tortillas with either sour cream or guacamole or Mexican cheese or Avocados.
Here are few variations that will help you suit it to your needs.
- Honey - Want to make it sweet? Just pour some honey when its done, right before serving.
- Taco Seasoning - Not in a mood to make Fajita Seasoning at home? Just use any store-bought taco seasoning.
- Canned Diced Chilies - Want it spicy? Try adding a layer of diced chilies along with diced tomatoes at the bottom of the crockpot.
You can refrigerate your Crockpot Chicken Fajita for 2-3 days if stored properly in an air-tight container. I don't recommend freezing this because the veggies might go bad. However, just make sure that the food comes down to room temperature before refrigerating it.
Make sure you thaw it on the counter top for an hour and then microwave until warm before serving.
- If you want your bell peppers to be crunchy and not tender, then you can add them just 30-minutes before serving.
- You can either shred chicken (best practise if making for a crowd) or slice them up.
- It's not necessary that you have to use Flour tortillas. You can also use Corn tortillas to make this.
- You can serve this chicken fajita over rice or quinoa or cauliflower rice.
Gimme Some More Tex Mex Recipes
- Tex Mex Black Eyed Peas and Rice Casserole
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Marinade in Sheet Pan
- Chicken Carnitas Recipe - Mexican Shredded Chicken Taco Recipe
- Chipotle Grilled Chicken Pineapple Tacos
- Chicken Pepper Tacos
Crockpot Chicken Fajita
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5-6 whole roma tomatoes peeled and chopped OR 1 (14.5 ounces) can of Diced Tomatoes
- 3 large red, yellow, and green bell peppers thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large white or yellow or red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 small lime wedges for garnish
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas for serving
- cilantro, sour cream, avocados, salsa, guacamole, mexican shredded cheese for garnish (OPTIONAL)
- If you are using canned tomatoes then pour the entire can of diced tomatoes into the bottom of the 6-7 quart crockpot. Spread into an even layer. If using fresh roma tomatoes then peel and chop them up. Pour and Spread into the bottom of the crockpot in an even layer.
- Add chicken breasts over the tomatoes.
- In a mixing bowl combine chili powder, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle half of the fajita seasoning (this spice mix) over chicken.
- Add three kinds of bell peppers (red, yellow, and green bell pepper) along with thinly sliced red onions. Sprinkle remaining Fajita seasoning over the bell peppers and toss well until combined.
- Cover and Cook on High for about 2-3 hours and on Low for about 4-6 hours until the chicken is tender and the veggies are cooked through. Squeeze in some fresh lime juice.
- Remove chicken and cut into thin strips or shred. Serve them in warm flour tortillas. Use a laddle to discard the (tomato liquid) in the slow cooker. Garnish with chopped cilantro (1/4 cup) or any of your desired toppings.
- you can also add diced green chilies along with a can of diced tomatoes