These Crispy Cajun Air-Fryer Sweet Potato Fries will give a snacky start to your fall & winter mornings. Pair it alongside Baked Chicken Drumsticks and you just made yourself a healthy and appetizing meal.
Talking about healthy meals have you tried these Healthy Keto Snacks recipes? They are really good. And these Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks in Pan is my favorite of the lot.
Cajun Air-Fryer Sweet Potato fries
I cannot wait to share with you guys the story behind this. I got this air-fryer today as a gift from my brother. I knew he had bought me something. But, I wasn't sure what was it. When the delivery guy came knocking on the door, I was actually heading out to the market. Seeing him carrying a big box I was so excited that I let my husband stay in the car for a while until I opened this up and saw what it was.
You know those exciting butterflies that scroll through your belly when you get a surprise gift. It felt as if I couldn't control my excitement any longer. I grabbed a scissor, a knife, and opened the box. Saw the receipt and there you go, it was an Oxy fryer or an Air-Fryer by my brother.
I was so happy. I threw away all those packagings. (Have you ever felt to tear through those packaging like an angry lion? It was just like that for me, today!)
I opened it, saw it, and felt like giving it a hug. And, call me whatever, I actually did. Quickly took a snap and then realized - oh! Shoot! I should have taken a small Instagram reel video for my Instagram page. Anyway, I kept it aside and went away.
While I was away, I had already decided what I am gonna make today in my brand new air fryer. This is the sweet potato season. I have been making so many recipes with sweet potatoes these days.
Starting from Candied Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Topping, Southern Sweet Potato Cobbler, Spiced Nuts Sweet Potato Cheesecake Dip, Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Vegan Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Pie with Coconut Milk, and many more.
Therefore, I thought, let me make Sweet Potato fries today! But, I had to give it a unique touch. And, I finally thought, let me make cajun sweet potato fries.
How to Make Cajun Seasoning at home?
To Make Cajun Seasoning I use these ingredients:
- Smoked Paprika
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Black Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Dried Oregano
- and Finally Some Dried Thyme
Just stir all of these and you will have your cajun seasoning ready. You can store this in an air-tight container for up to a year. Other recipes with Cajun Seasoning - Cajun Shrimp Pasta
How to Make Crispy Air-Fryer Sweet Potato Fries?
First things first. Before we start, let me tell you that these are air-fryer sweet potatoes so they won't be the ones that you deep fry. They'll be crispy and crunchy but not as crispy as fries made with potatoes. However, we'll add some cornstarch to get that crispy coating on the outside.
Cutting Sweet Potatoes: Use a paring knife to peel off its skin. Now cut them into thin and long slices just like you would cut potatoes for french fries. Make sure that they are about 1/4 inch thick. If you leave them about 1/2 inch thick they'll be soft but not crispy.
Coating the Sweet Potatoes: Now coat the sweet potatoes in Cornstarch and Cajun Seasoning. Make sure that it is evenly coated.
Air-Frying the Sweet Potatoes: Now it depends on the type of air-fryer you are using. I used a 1500 watt air fryer so it took me 8-9 minutes to get them done, tossing midway.
Serve Immediately: If you let it stay too long on the table unattended, it will lose its crispiness. So, dig in right away. Enjoy this with some mayonnaise or ketchup. I like to keep things simple and just use some ketchup alongside my sweet potato fries.
Time in the Air-Fryer
Your Air-Fryer timing will vary depending upon its type. So, I highly recommend you to read the owner's manual. You'll find much valuable info about your air-fryer which even I don't know.
If you are doing this the first time, then it's very important that you don't put your oven to a high temperature in the beginning. Read the owner's manual thoroughly. Know how it functions. And, then follow the steps below for the best crispiest sweet potato fries.
But, yes, these are some important things that you should keep in mind.
- If your air fryer is 900 Watts then it takes a little longer. About 18-20 minutes (tossing midway) at a temperature of 360F is more than enough.
- If you have an air-fryer that is 1500 watts, then it takes about 8-10 minutes (tossing midway) at a temperature of 360F.
- In case your air-fryer is 1700 watts, then it will hardly take any time. Just 5-6 minutes (tossing midway) at a temperature of 360F is more than enough to get your sweet potatoes crispy.
What to serve alongside these fries?
- You can serve these with Ketchup, Chili Sauce, Mustard Sauce, Mayonnaise, Tartar Sauce, Feta Cheese, Ranch Dressing, etc.
If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Crispy Cajun Air-Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 3 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 medium sized Sweet Potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thickness
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- chopped Cilantro
- Combine all the ingredients using a spoon and your Cajun seasoning. Store it in an air-tight container and it will stay fresh for upto 1 year.
- Wash and Peel Sweet Potatoes. Slice them into 1/4 inch thickness. Make sure that they are of uniform sizes or else the thinner ones will get cooked faster and will get burnt (see video for a visual)
- Dust Cornstarch & Cajun Seasoning over the Sweet Potatoes. Toss well so that they get evenly coated. Throw it all in the Air fryer. You can lightly grease the Air Fryer Pot with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Air Fry Sweet Potatoes for 10 min, tossing at 8 min intervals at a temp of 350F or 180C.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with some chopped Cilantro. Dust some Cayenne Pepper on top. Serve with any sauce or aioli you love.
- Serve this with Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- If your Air Fryer is of 900Watt then it will take a longer time, approximately 18 min. Toss at 12 min mark.
- If your Air Fryer is 1700 Watt, then it will take about 5-6 min. Toss Midway.
- If you Cut your Sweet Potatoes to about 1/2 inch thickness, then they will become soft, but won't get crispy.
- You can also replace Cornstarch with Arrowroot powder or Whole Wheat Flour to get a nice and crispy coating over your fries.