Creamy Coconut Shrimp Curry made with Coconut Milk, Heavy Cream and a dash of essential spices make for an excellent dinner recipe.
Creamy Coconut Shrimp
I have been growing up having this recipe. Honestly, I was 10 when my granny's friend came into our house for a vacation and taught my Mom this recipe. It's an uber-popular shrimp recipe whose every bite tastes heavenly.
Shrimp is such a thing with which you can make a variety of recipes. Its meatiness can absorb all the spices that you want it to have. Making this shrimp recipe would tell you that there is nothing creamier than this.
I am a huge fan of coconut. You must have seen me working with Coconut on a myriad of recipes. Such as this Coconut Chickpea Curry that I made yesterday or this Coconut Chicken curry or this Creamy Coconut Mushroom Curry
But, the thing with coconut is that its a tricky ingredient. You cannot overcook the coconut. Once you overcook the coconut it becomes bitter. Hence, I always recommend that when you add coconut in your dish, you bring back the flame to low.
My Mom has been making this recipe for a long long time. Even I have been making this recipe for ages. Today, I am finally getting a chance to share it with y'all.
How to make creamy Coconut Shrimp
- Choosing Shrimps: I always recommend that you choose large jumbo shrimps for this recipe. Large shrimps would make sure that you get more of the meaty part of your shrimp.
- Cooking the Shrimps: The Shrimps will be cooked in some oil. If you want a richer taste then you can add some butter along with oil and then fry your shrimps. Cook them until they get reddish or pinkish on both sides.
- Making the Sauce: To make the sauce for this recipe we use some chopped onions and minced garlic. Into that goes a cup of shredded coconut, the spices, some coconut milk. We give it time to get cooked and once it's cooked thoroughly, we add our heavy cream for that extra bit of creaminess.
- The Final Step: Finally when our gravy is ready, we add our cooked shrimps and cover cook for about 5 minutes on a low flame. This final step is very important. It gives time to the shrimp to soak in the goodness of the sauce. We give time to the shrimp to soak in the sweetness of the coconut and get all nutty.
What does this recipe taste like?
Tastewise Coconut Shrimp Curry checks all the boxes. It has got just the right amount of sweetness. Just the perfect amount of nuttiness - thanks to the coconut. An adequate amount of creaminess - thanks to the heavy cream and coconut milk and just the right amount of spice - thanks to the cumin and garam masala.
I really love the addition of cumin powder in this recipe. I also add just a tad bit of cayenne pepper to make it stand out. What you will notice is that it gives a very balanced taste to your taste bud. We know how coconut milk and shredded coconut can make a recipe too sweet. So, just to balance it out we add just a tad bit of cayenne pepper, black pepper, and cumin. If you are familiar with the taste of these three spices then you would know that it is due to them that we get some heat, some spice, and some balance in our recipe.
Is this recipe healthy?
The answer is no and yes. It contains coconut which has a lot of calories. It has coconut milk and heavy cream which is again a major source of calories. But, the best part is I can tell you how to make it healthy.
To make this healthy we can add coconut oil. We can avoid heavy cream. Don't worry! Your recipe won't taste bad if you skip heavy cream. Rather it would make it much healthy.
How to Customize this Recipe?
- Penne Pasta - You can add some Penne pasta in this (of course it should be cooked or al dente) recipe. Pasta would make it a big dinner in itself. One-Pot Lemon Basil Pesto Pasta
- Spaghetti - Adding some spaghetti noodles would make for an excellent addition in this recipe. It would make it taste quite like Shrimp Scapi though not totally. - Easy and Quick Spaghetti
If you happen to make this recipe, then please tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram. Also, find some time to rate this recipe and comment your opinions about this recipe below. I love to hear from you guys!
Creamy Coconut Shrimp Curry
- 1 lbs Jumbo Shrimp
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 2 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 9-10 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 large red onions minced
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut (optional)
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- 1-2 Large Green chilies Chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Coarse White Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Freshly grounded
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- Heat oil in a skillet and deep fry the shrimps both sides. Keep Aside.
- In the same Pan add chopped garlic, ginger and onions. Also add in the spices - Turmeric, Cayenne, Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, Sugar, Salt and Pepper
- As the Onions and spices gets cooked and the oil starts to separate. Add Coconut Milk, Shredded Coconut and the Heavy Cream. Mix everything well and add the deep fried shrimps to them. Stir Well. Cover Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve over a bet of steamed rice.
- Coconut cream is the basic and most important ingredient of this recipe. You just cannot miss it.
- You can also make this recipe using coconut oil.
Ask Me Anything