Christmas Tree Pull-Apart appetizer is a Cheesy Christmas Appetizer recipe that is sure to please the crowd. Small blocks of Mozzarella cheese is wrapped in small slices of Pizza Dough. Then they are arranged in the form of a Christmas tree with some butter on top with some extra Parmesan cheese, cilantro, and seasoning!!!
Finally, this is baked until the dough turns golden brown on the top.
As you break into it, you get a cheesy, bite-sized appetizer which is perfect for the holidays just as this Cheesy Spinach Dip Puff Bites, or this Savory Cheddar Rosemary Star Shaped shortbread cookies!
The topping of melted Butter, Freshly Grated Parmesan, Chopped Cilantro, and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper feels absolutely delightful.
What you'll LOVE about this Christmas Tree Pull-Apart Appetizer
- The Crispy Top: The crispy coating on the outside with a soft and cheesy texture on the inside feels absolutely divine.
- The Topping: The brilliant addition of grated Parmesan Cheese, Melted Butter, and Chopped Cilantro brings alive all the flavors. You get a beautiful taste that is just so good.
- The Shape: The Beautiful Christmas tree-like shape is the primary attraction of this recipe. You can serve this on your holiday table and people would love to dig in.
Ingredients you'll need to make this recipe:
To make this Pull-Apart Christmas tree you need these few ingredients:
- Pizza Dough - Make sure you buy a good quality pizza dough or better you can make it at home. Learn how to make Pizza Dough without Yeast.
- Mozzarella Cheese - You can use fresh Mozzarella Cheese. This recipe doesn't call for shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
- Melted Unsalted Butter - You'll need butter to brush on the top of the Christmas tree pull-apart bread.
- Grated Parmesan - Just to add that final touch of cheesiness on the Christmas tree you can add grated Parmesan.
- Chopped Cilantro - To add the final dash of Herbs you can add some freshly chopped Cilantro or Basil or Parsley.
- Salt & Pepper - Lastly, just to balance out the overall taste, add some salt and pepper.
How to Make Christmas Tree Pull-Apart Appetizer?
- Make a Pizza Dough at home or use storebought pizza dough. Now use a pizza cutter wheel to cut it into small strips. See the image below for a better understanding.
- Now use Fresh Mozzarella Cheese. Cut it into small slices and wrap it in pizza dough pockets that you just made.
- Place your Mozzarella wrapped pizza pockets on a greased 9x13 inch baking dish in the form of a Christmas tree.
- Brush some melted butter on top and bake it in a preheated oven at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown.
- Once done, brush a mixture of Unsalted melted butter, freshly grated parmesan cheese, freshly chopped parsley or cilantro, freshly cracked black pepper, and salt (only if you are using unsalted melted butter)
Some BONUS Tips:
Here are some BONUS tips that will help you nail your Christmas tree Pull Apart Appetizer.
- Whether you are using storebought pizza dough or homemade pizza dough, do not use it just out of the freezer. Let it stay on the countertop for at least 2-3 hours or until soft. This will help you roll it with ease.
- Dust your Work surface with flour generously. Dusting your surface with flour will make sure that you can roll your dough without worrying about it sticking to the surface.
- Use a pizza cutter wheel to cut out small pizza pockets with ease.
- If you are adding too much cheese, then your pizza pockets should be large enough.
- While wrapping your mozzarella cheese in pizza dough, if your dough breaks, it's completely normal. Just take some rolled dough and stick in that part.
- You can either brush the top with melted butter or egg wash.
- While making the final topping with melted butter, parmesan cheese, cilantro/basil/parsley, and black pepper, only add salt if you are using unsalted melted butter. If you add both salted melted butter along salt, it will turn out too salty.
Other Substitutions/Replacements for this recipe:
- Instead of Pizza Dough, you can easily use pastry dough or pie dough. See this buttery pie crust recipe and learn how to make it at home. Only here you do not have to roll the dough and keep the dough wrapped in a plastic wrap.
- Instead of brushing the top of the pull apart Christmas tree with melted butter, you can use egg wash (1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons of water)
- Instead of adding chopped cilantro, you can add chopped parsley or chopped basil along with parmesan cheese.
What to Serve this with?
You can serve your Pull Apart Christmas Tree with Marinara Sauce, Garlic sauce, BBQ Sauce, Tabasco sauce, Sriracha sauce, Mayonaise, or Ranch sauce and etc.
Other Christmas Recipes:
- Christmas Candy Cane Marshmallow Pops
- Christmas Shortbread Bell Cookies
- Creamy Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
- White Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
- Moist Homemade Gingerbread Loaf
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also share your image with #recipemagik and tag me @recipemagik. I'll love to see how your recipe turned out!
Christmas Tree Pull Apart Appetizer
- 22 Oz Fresh White Pizza Dough about 1 lbs
- 8 Oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese I used Whole Foods Market Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (8 sticks)
- 1 Cup Melted Unsalted Butter 226.8g or 16 tablespoon (divided)
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese 44.9g
- Chopped Cilantro or basil or parsley
- Salt and Pepper use salt only if you are using unsalted butter.
- You can use storebought fresh white pizza dough or homemade pizza dough. Here is how to make pizza dough at home without yeast. If it's frozen allow it to stay on the countertop until it softens. Once it is ready for use, flour your work surface generously. Place the dough and roll it gently to form a large rectangle. Should be about 1/2 inch thick. Cut Mozzarella Sticks to 1" pieces and keep them aside.
- Use a pizza cutter wheel or a knife to cut out small 2" sized pizza pockets. There is no particular size that you have to cut it in. Just make them large enough to wrap about a tablespoon of mozzarella cheese.
- Place Mozzarella Cheese at the center of your pizza pockets. Wrap the dough around mozzarella cheese to make a tightly sealed ball. Place these seam side down in the baking dish.
- Arrange them on a 9x13" baking dish in the form of a Christmas tree. Start with a single ball on the top. Follow it up with several balls below it and then repeat this for the next two columns. Finally, for the stem place two balls and follow it up with two more balls. See the video for a better understanding. Leave no gap between each ball. Let them stick to each other. They'll bake into each other.
- Brush melted butter onto the balls. You can also use egg wash (1 beaten egg+ 2 tablespoons of water) for this step. If you are using butter then save some for laterBake this in a preheated oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown.Do not bake for too long or else the top might become too hard. It should be soft to touch. Check at the 15-minute mark and then keep increasing temperature by 1-minute in case you feel it is underbaked.
- Finally, take it out of the oven. In a small mixing bowl combine remaining unsalted butter with freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped cilantro, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Mix it well using a spoon and brush it on the pull apart Christmas tree. Enjoy immediately.
- Do not overbake the Christmas tree pull apart. It might get too hard.
- Use salt for seasoning only if you are using unsalted butter.
- You can replace chopped cilantro with parsley or basil.