Broccoli Rice Casserole makes for a healthy and easy side dish recipe. This homemade Broccoli Rice Casserole DOES NOT use Canned "Cream of Soup". Fresh Broccoli is cooked in the oven until it tenderizes and then is tossed in a cheesy sauce along with cooked rice and baked with loads of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and ritz cracker on top. It's super comforting and filled with comforting and creamy flavors in every bite. Have you tried my - Green Bean Ranch Potato Casserole or Cheesy Green Bean Cheddar Casserole with Fall Spices
When it comes to cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole, I have been making it for years. However, this is not what my Mom used to make. This is a slightly updated version of the same (keeping my taste in mind). In my home, this easy cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe has become a mandatory side dish, that I have to make at least once a week.
The Thing with this recipe is that it has been around for a long long time. I still remember my grandma's Broccoli Rice Casserole. It used to be so delicious. She would make this every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Today, you can make it just the way you want. You can make it Keto and Low Carb. You can make it Low-Sodium. You can also make it Low-fat.
Instead of Sharp Cheddar Cheese, you can use Velveeta. While making the casserole you can also add carrots, celery, chicken, and some herbs to convert this into a complete meal.
I usually serve this with whole roasted chicken or sometimes grilled chicken or tuna or salmon. But, sometimes when I am too tired to make two dishes, I just add Chicken to this and make it a complete meal.
This Easy & Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a Quick and Easy Side Dish
We've all been through those days when are hosting a party and we've done everything that needs to be done. But, we forget to put together a side dish. Has it happened to you? Well, I have been in that situation countless times, and every single time I just google a quick side dish and make it as fast as I can. But, now I won't have to do that. This Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe is a savior. Whenever I am in a fix and wondering what to make, I go with this. Sometimes I also make Broccoli Casserole with Ritz Crackers and Mayonnaise
Broccoli Rice Casserole - A Perfect Recipe with Leftover Rice
Got some leftover rice at home? Wondering what to do about it? Well, no need to google what to do with leftover rice. I'll give you a simple idea. Let's just make this Broccoli Rice Casserole with our leftover rice. No one will know that you are using leftover rice. Isn't that an excellent idea?
So, the next time you got leftover rice at home, do not fret about it. Rather be happy, 'coz the next day you will be cooking something incredibly delicious with that same rice.
And, it's not limited to cooked white rice. You can easily make this Broccoli Rice Casserole with either brown rice or Jasmine rice.
How to make Broccoli Rice Casserole with Ritz Cracker
MAKE ROUX: In a Pan melt butter. Into that add flour. Stir well for 30-seconds. Next stir in some milk. Stir well on low heat and your roux is ready.
Add Spices: Into that add Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano, Mayonnaise, and Hot Sauce. Stir well to combine.
Add Blanched Broccoli Florets: Add Blanched Broccoli florets into the pan and mix well to combine.
Add Cooked Rice: Now add cooked rice and stir it in. Season this with salt and Pepper.
Add Cheese: You can add Velveeta Cheese or Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese. I used Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese in this recipe.
Add Crushed Ritz Cracker: Lastly, add Crushed Ritz Cracker on the Casserole and bake it at 350F for 30-minutes.
Broccoli Rice Casserole in Crockpot
You can also make this recipe in the crockpot. This is such a creamy, cheesy, and comforting recipe that you can easily add it in your crockpot and within 4 hours it will be ready.
All you have to do is set your Crockpot to the desired temperature and then add all of your ingredients. Cook on low for 4 hours or on High for 2 hours. And it will be beautifully done.
Once done, sprinkle crushed ritz cracker and butter. Enjoy!
Other Recipes you might like:
- Nacho Cheese Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Keto Cauliflower Rice and Chicken Casserole
- Black Bean Pasta Casserole
- Tex Mex Black Eyed Peas and Rice Casserole with Roasted Garlic (Vegetarian)
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Walnut and Brown Sugar Crumble Topping
- Cheesy Mushroom and Potato Casserole
- Easy & Quick Low Carb Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik.
Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 Cups Broccoli cut into bite-sized florets
- 1½ Cup Cooked White Rice
For the Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoon Flour
- 1½ Cup Milk
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1½ Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
- Salt and Peppers adjust as per taste
- 2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 15-20 pieces Ritz Cracker crushed
- Blanch Broccoli florets. Bring a pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add broccoli florets and cook for 1-2 minutes. Once done, strain the water and keep them on a paper towel.Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a 9x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a pan melt some butter. Add flour and stir for a minute on low heat. Add in milk and stir well for another minute.
- Add Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Dried Oregano. Mix well to combine. Add Mayonnaise and hot sauce and stir well to combine for about 2-minutes.
- Finally, take it off the heat. Now, add in your blanched broccoli florets, cooked rice, and cheddar cheese. Season with Salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Take this out in a casserole dish. I used a 9x9 inch casserole dish. Spread it out using a spatula. Add some more shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Finally, add crushed ritz cracker and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 30-minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.