Baked Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos - Juicy cooked shredded chicken tossed in a creamy Mexican sauce with co-jack cheese and wrapped in flour tortillas makes for a scrumptious dinner recipe that will be a hit in the family. Try this with Salsa or Mexican Rice or my favorite Queso Mexican Dip and people are gonna go crazy about it. Not a fan of chicken, try these Baked Vegan Taquitos instead.
Homemade Chicken Taquitos are so common in our house. Sometimes it's an appetizer. Sometimes we serve it as an evening snack (or late-night snack), and sometimes we have it as dinner. I am sure you must have had a ton of Fried Taquitos.
But, every time I eat a Taquitos, I wonder how would I have made it differently. What would I have done, If I were the cook?
Well, today is finally the day when I wearing my imaginary chef's hat and working in my kitchen to make - World's Best Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos! Also, this Chicken Taquitos recipe is baked, a healthy alternative to fried Taquitos.
Yup, you heard that right! This Chicken and Cream Cheese Taquito recipe is SO amazing that you'd be licking it off your fingers. Also, This used Colby Jack Cheese, so these are Chicken and Cheese Taquitos but with extra cream cheese. How amazing that is right!
Baked Chicken and Cream Cheese Taquitos
It's really amazing how these taquitos crisp up in the oven. Of course, if you would have done it on the skillet it would have taken you way less time. But, it would also have been a LOT messier. But, I have become a fan of Baked Taquitos. They don't feel "not fried" at all.
Why You'll Love them
- Crispy Baked Taquitos
- Super-easy Recipe
- Most-delicious Snack Ever
What are Taquitos?
Taquitos are basically Tortillas wrapped with meat and cheese. Frozen Taquitos are pretty common and can be used as snacks, appetizers, or a complete dinner. Traditionally this is deep-fried. But, you can bake them or air fry them as well.
Baked Chicken Taquitos Ingredients
- Chicken - Use cooked shredded chicken.
- Cream Cheese - Make sure you have softened your cream cheese before using it.
- Onions - Chop them finely.
- Garlic - Make sure you mince your garlic.
- Cumin - Ground Cumin adds a beautiful hint of earthy and Mexican tone to your taquitos.
- Cayenne Pepper - Besides adding the heat, cayenne also makes the Taquitos taste amazing.
- Salt and Pepper - Season as per taste.
- Dried Oregano - Just some dried Oregano to make it taste amazing.
- Enchilada Sauce - Add some Green/Red Enchilada sauce to add in some spicy taste.
- Frozen Corn - Corn adds a sweetish touch to these taquitos.
- Colby Jack Cheese - You can use any variety of Cheese.
- Flour Tortillas - I like small Flour Tortillas.
How to Make Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
Here's a Quick Video:
- Season: Cook chicken breasts after seasoning them with salt and pepper.
- Bake: Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 22-25 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Shred: Once baked, cool it down completely and then shred it using two forks.
Make the Filling
The filling for Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos is pretty basic and of course very versatile. You can change it according to your needs.
- Sauté Onions and Garlic - Sauté chopped onions and minced garlic in a pan with some olive oil. Take it out and allow it to cool down completely.
- Add Cream Cheese - Place a block of cream cheese into your food processor along with sauteed onions and garlic. Or in case you have cream cheese tub them add 4-5 tablespoons of Cream Cheese into your food processor.
- Add Spices - Now add Salt, Pepper, Ground Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, and Dried Oregano. Pulse until chunky smooth. Take it out in a bowl.
- Add Chicken and Corn: Now add Cooked Shredded Chicken, Corn, and Enchilada Sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Combine Well: Stir well until combined.
- Stir in Cheese - Use any cheese of your choice. Mexican Cheese or Colby Jack works best for this recipe. Stir it in.
Spoon the mixture and Bake these Chicken Taquitos with Flour Tortillas
Now, I have used Flour Tortillas for these Chicken Taquitos. If you're using Corn Tortillas, make sure to toast it before using.
- Spoon: Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture into the center of each tortilla. Spread it out.
- Smear on Top: Smear 1/2 tsp. of Cream Cheese on the top edge of each flour tortilla. This helps to fold the taquitos.
- Roll: Roll it up from the side and place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Repeat: Repeat this with each tortilla and keep a gap of at least 1-inch between each tortilla.
- Bake: Bake for 15-17 minutes in a preheated oven at 425°F or until lightly brown around the edges.
- Garnish & Serve: Serve with Salsa or Sour Cream or Ranch.
Can you Make-ahead these Taquitos?
Of course, you can make these Taquitos ahead of time. In fact, in my home, I do this all the time.
- Chicken: You can shred chicken and keep it in an air-tight container. Place the shredded chicken in the freezer. Thaw overnight before using.
- Filling: Make the filling and keep it in an air-tight container. Refrigerate the mixture for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
How to Freeze Taquitos?
The best part about these Taquitos is that they are freezer-friendly. Meaning - these Chicken Taquitos freeze really well. But, you gotta know how to freeze them properly.
To Freeze your Taquitos do the following:
- DO NOT BAKE your Taquitos.
- Place them on a baking sheet 1-inch apart and freeze them for 30-minutes. This will soak up all the moisture and they won't stick to each other.
- Now take them out and place them in a freezer bag or ziplock bag.
- Refrigerate for 3-5 days. Reheat when ready to serve.
- Freeze them for up to 3-months.
- Once you want to cook, get them out and bake as the recipe states.
What to Serve with Chicken Taquitos
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Baked Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 12 Pieces 6" Tortillas Flour
- 3 Cups Chicken Cooked and Shredded
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 6 Oz cream cheese softened (2-3 tablespoon more to smear on top of tortillas)
- Salt and Pepper as per taste
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- ¼ Cup Enchilada Sauce Red or Green
- 1½ Cup Colby Jack Cheese or any other cheese you like (shredded)
- Salsa or Sour Cream or Ranch
- Heat a pan with some olive oil. Sauté onions until caramelized. Add minced garlic and saute for additional 30-seconds. Take it out cool it down for 30-minutes at room temperature.
- In a food processor, add sautéed onions and Garlic. Into that add softened cream cheese, cumin, cayenne pepper, Dried Oregano, salt, and pepper. Pulse it until chunky smooth.
- Take it out in a bowl. Add Chicken, Corn, and Enchilada Sauce into your mixture. Mix well until combined. (if you like refried beans, or Rotel tomatoes, or salsa in your taquitos, you can add them now)
- Stir in any cheese that you like. I used Colby jack cheese.
- Spoon the filling into the center of each tortilla. Smear 1/2 tsp. of Cream Cheese on the top edge of each flour tortilla. This helps to fold the taquitos. Roll them up from the side and place them seam side down in a baking sheet.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 425°F for 15-17 minutes or until the sides are lightly browned.Garnish with green onions or cilantro on top. Serve with Salsa or Sour Cream or ranch or Gaucamole.
- Read how to freeze these taquitos in the blog post above.
Ask Me Anything