Buttery and Crispy on the outside and Sweet and Cinnamon-y on the inside, Apple Hand Pies are everyone's favorite. Just like these Juicy Peach Cream Cheese Hand Pies or Peanut Butter Nutella Hand Pies or Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies
Apple Hand Pies in Air Fryer are super easy to make and every bite feels like a fall wonderland. That hint of fall spice, the cinnamon, the sweet Apple Pie filling, and of course that crispy and buttery crust over the Hand Pies...So good!
Don't miss These Delicious Apple Sheet Cakes.
September is here and the markets are flooding with the best Apples of the season. When I see fresh Apples in the market, I cannot resist buying them. They are of the perfect taste right now. Not too sweet and neither too tasty!
And come Apples, it's officially the season of Pies. From the Classic Old Fashioned Apple Pie to Apple Crumb Pie to Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars to Grandma's Classic Apple Crumble I just love to hit the kitchen, chop Apples, add some Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Sugar, and Lemon Juice and make a fresh batch of Apple Pie filling.
In fact, my love for Apples is so much that I love to use them for Breakfast recipes like this Apple Cinnamon Quinoa or this favorite appetizer - Apple Crisp Baked Brie
These Apple Hand Pies are also one of my favorite desserts to make with Apples. They are simple and easy to make and tastes just soo good.
I love to cook old-fashioned recipes like this one, but with a modern touch. Since the day I got my Air Fryer, I have been experimenting with all sorts of recipes in it. From Donuts in Air Fryer to Bagels to Chicken and so much more. And so I just had to try these Apple Hand Pies in the Air Fryer...!
You guys, I was more than elated with the results. I mean, it's just so crispy! Super crispy...!
OTHER FAVORITE APPLE RECIPES FOR FALL
Salted Caramel Apple Crisp Bars with Maple Glaze
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Pecan Cobbler
Healthy Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls
Caramel Pecan Apple Crumble Cheesecake
Salted Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes
- Granny Smith Apples
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- Dark Brown Sugar
- All Butter Pie Dough
- Milk or Beaten Eggs (to brush on top)
- Unsalted Butter
See recipe card for quantities. Also, take a look at the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: MAKE THE APPLE PIE FILLING
- Chop the Apples into small chunks. Remove the pit and the seeds
- Combine chopped Apples with Dark Brown Sugar, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Nutmeg, Apple Cider Vinegar and Cornstarch. Toss until combined.
- Transfer to a skillet and cook on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes
- Once cooked, allow it to cool down to room temperature before use.
STEP 2: ROLL THE DOUGH
- I am using a homemade All Butter Pie Crust Dough here.
- Flour the kitchen countertop or rolling surface, and roll the Pie dough to about 1/2 inch - 1/4 inch thickeness. Turn the dough to a quarter after few rolls.
- If the dough is sticking, dust some more flour
- Cut into circles using a cookie cutter to about 3-4 inches diameter and 1/4 inches thickenss, and discard the rest of the dough
- Re-roll the scraps of the dough as well. Roll it out into a circle and use again.
STEP 3: MAKE THE HAND PIES
- Add the filling in the center of the circle
- Fold it over and press to seal the sides
- Use a fork to crimp the edges
STEP 4: AIR FRY THE APPLE HAND PIES
- Place the Hand pies in the Air Fryer Basket.
- Brush some milk and melted butter over the hand pies (you can also brush beaten eggs)
- Air fry @400F or 200C for 15 minutes.
STEP 5: SERVE
- Once these gets cooked, serve them immediately.
Remember that every Air Fryer functions differently. So if your Air fryer needs preheating prior to cooking, you might need to preheat the air fryer before adding the Hand Pies to it.
Hint: Leave some gap in between the Hand Pies while cooking them in the air fryer. Do not keep them close. You might want to do this in batches.
- Vegan - You can use my Vegan Pie crust recipe and skip brushing the top with milk or eggs, rather use almond milk with a pinch of turmeric to brish over the hand pies.
- Caramel - You can add storebought or homemade Salted Caramel to the Apple Pie filling or Drizzle Caramel on top.
You can store the leftover handpiece for 3-5 days in the refrigerator or double wrap individual hand pies with foil and cellophane and freeze them for 3 months
You can reheat Apple Hand Pies in the Air Fryer. Cook for 5 minutes @400F and they would be perfect to serve. Learn more about reheating food in Air Fryer here.
Make Ahead Instructions
You can make the Pie Dough ahead of time and freeze it for 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before use
You can also freeze the Apple pie filling for 3 months or refrigerate for 5 days
Prebaked Apple Hand Pies can be frozen for 3 months and refrigerated for 3 days. You do not have to thaw them before cooking. Simply bake these frozen apple hand pies for a couple of extra minutes.
OTHER APPLE RECIPES
- Apple Butternut Squash Chicken in Crockpot
- Brown Butter Apple Blondies with Pecan Nuts
- Maple Glazed Apple Cider Pecan Muffins
- Cinnamon Apple Bread with Cream Cheese and Vanilla Sugar Glaze
- Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- Stuffed Baked Apples with Walnuts, Raisins, and Cranberries
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
- Apple Fennel Shortbread Cookies - Fall Buttery Goodness!
I hope you liked this recipe and shall make it soon. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Apple Hand Pies in Air Fryer
- 2 medium sized Apples diced
- ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Beaten Eggs or Milk for eggwash
- Homemade Pie Crust makes about 15 hand pies
- Make the Pie dough. You can find the full recipe for making pie dough. Chill it overnight or for 2 hours before use.
- To make the filling combine diced apples with brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, apple cider vinegar, and cornstarch. Transfer this to a skillet and allow this mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes over low heat. Once cooked, get it off the heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Roll the Pie dough. Dust the counter with flour and roll the dough. Use a cookie cutter to cut out circles. It should be having about 3-4 inches of diameter and 1/4 inches of thickness. Re-roll the scraps to make more discs.
- Add the Apple Pie filling in the center of the circle. Fold it over and seal the edges by pressing it. Crimp the edges using a fork.
- Brush milk and melted butter over the hand pies. Place them in the air fryer basket. Cook @400F or 200C for 15 minutes
- Once these get cooked, serve immediately.
Ask Me Anything