Angel Hair Pasta cooked in a spicy Fra Diavolo Sauce makes for a quick date night recipe. This easy, simple yet delicious Pasta recipe makes for a perfect Romantic dinner for two. This is a super easy one-pot meal and is easily customizable.
Hey friends, So, if you know me, then you know how much I love an easy one-pot meal. And there is nothing easier than cooking a quick one-pot pasta for dinner.
However, unlike all Pasta which has the reputation for being creamy and comforting, this Fra Diavolo is quite different. A popular Italian Pasta, Fra Diavolo, literally translates to, "Brother Devil"! This term is used generally to indicate the spiciness of this sauce. It's a tomato-based sauce cooked with Olive Oil, Garlic, loads of Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano, and Herbs - especially the Oregano and Cayenne Pepper, which makes this really spicy and good!
Fra Diavolo is generally made with Lobster, Shrimp, or Chicken. However, keeping things simple especially for a quick date night dinner, I decided to skip both and just go with a simple Angel Hair Pasta cooked in Fra Diavolo Sauce. It's easy, it's mess-free and it's not too heavy!
This recipe is so easily customizable. You can replace Angel Hair with Penne or Linguine. This Sauce tastes good always. You can add Chicken, Shrimp, Lobster, Clam, Mussel, Scallops, or Calamari, and make it a family meal.
Of course, you would want to dial down on the Red Chili Flakes if you're making this for the Kids. Nevertheless, it's always a perfect recipe for a quick change of taste when you're bored of the usual Pasta Dinners.
Also, this takes just 20 minutes of simmering and you have pasta which is just so good. And trust me, before you even serve this, the aroma of this is going to get everyone hungry at home. And just a forkful of this luscious Pasta in a deliciously spicy oceanic themed sauce is going to make your tastebuds go on a joyride!
Let's make some Date Night Fra Diavolo
So, let us quickly make some Date night special - Fra Diavolo. It's easy and so delicious...!
Ingredients needed for Angel Hair Fra Diavolo
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - A good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil literally breathes life into this dish.
- Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes & Diced Tomatoes - The three basic ingredients which form the base of Fra Diavolo Sauce. You can use 140z can of crushed Tomatoes as well.
- Cayenne Pepper - I use Cayenne Pepper because it gives a perfect heat to my sauce. You can replace this with red Serrano Peppers for more heat or use Smoked Paprika for a hint of smoky flavor or alternatively can use Red Fresno Peppers, which are not hot but will provide a nice punch to the Fra Diavolo Sauce.
- Oregano - 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano will make this taste and smell divine!
- Coconut Milk - Now, ideally, you should be using Dry White Wine. However, just to bring in an earthy sweetness to the sauce I have replaced it with Coconut Milk, and guess what, it tastes even better. However, feel free to replace it with 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- Salt & Pepper - As per your Taste
- Herbs - Freshly chopped Parsley and Basil, for that Freshness and a hint of sweetness because of the basil, which brings everything together in this dish!
- Parmesan Cheese - Final dose of grated Parmesan over the Pasta because that's just the best thing about this recipe.
- You can use any Pasta you love. I have used Angel Hair Pasta. You can replace this with Linguine or Penne.
How to make Date Night Fra Diavolo
Saute the Garlic - Heat Extra Virgin Olive oil in a pan. As the oil shimmers, add the chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Saute until the oil gets fragrant with the chili and garlic.
Add the Tomatoes - Now, add the chopped Tomatoes (or Crushed Tomatoes with their juices) and Coconut Milk (or Dry White Wine) along with Oregano, Salt & Pepper and allow it to simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
Add the Pasta - Now, after the sauce has been simmering for 10 minutes add the cooked Pasta. If you are adding any protein like Fish or Chicken, you can cook them separately and add them now. Toss everything until combined.
Grated Parmesan Cheese - Finally, turn off the heat and stir in some grated Parmesan cheese in the pasta. Garnish with some freshly chopped Parsley and Basil. Serve!
And it's done!! Looks so delicious right! Wasn't it so easy? It makes me want to dive right in! It's spicy for sure but you can always adjust it as per your preference.
Some Quick Tips
- I have used Coconut Milk in this recipe which tones down the spiciness of the Fra Diavolo sauce making it sort of fancy for a Date night. Authentically, you should be using Dry White Wine. If you want, you can use both for even amazing flavors.
- You can cook the Chicken or Fish or any Protein which you are using separately in a pan with some olive oil. Remember to never overcook the Shrimp or the Chicken. It should be a little crusty and crispy and that's all you need!
- Making Fra Diavolo Sauce is a test of patience. You must not increase the heat level and allow the sauce to simmer off. Always cook in medium-low heat. This will infuse the flavors slowly and perfectly.
Other Recipes You might Like
Angel Hair Fra Diavolo (VEGAN)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6-7 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3 medium sized Freshly Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 cup Coconut Milk can replace with Dry White Wine
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped Parsley
- 5-6 fresh Basil Leaves
- 8 oz Angel Hair Pasta
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook Angel Hair Pasta for 3 minutes or until al dente.
- Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan. As the oil shimmers, add the chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Saute over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped Tomatoes and Coconut Milk. Season with Oregano, Salt & Pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine.
- Stir in grated Parmesan Cheese. Garnish with freshly chopped Parsley and Basil Leaves. Serve hot!